A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 300,960
Currently Running With Scissors:
593 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Superhero Cape  (Read 569 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mongrel
« on: July 24, 2011 02:12:23 PM »

Okay, so I'm trying to make the cape for my Robin costume (Burt Ward version) and can't find a good free pattern online for it. I'm finding patterns for cloaks and hoods, and capes that tie around the head with a drawstring, but none like Robin's. Any advice on how to make this cape??

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I do commissions if you're interested! Check out my webstore!: http://mongrelterritory.weebly.com/
Kara B
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011 12:42:59 AM »

The third picture gives a very good indication of the shape.  If you look closely you can even see the seam lines on the picture (where the colour shifts slightly, between hos body and arms).

Here's how I made a similar cape a few years ago:  Lie down on the fabric and get someone to trace your shoulders, from you neck and a bit down your arms.  Use that as the top of you cloak, and draw a sort of straight bell-shape the length and with you want it (did that make sense?).  This is you back.  If you split it in half you get the front.  Just remember to draw in a curve for the front and back.  Add a small clasp on the inside at the neck to attach it.  If you stand straight with your arms at your side the cape will close at the front, but most of the time I think he had the cape folded over in shoulders to hang in the back (you will get the feel for it once you are wearing it.

I'm sure you can find a pattern for the collar somewhere, so just make that up and attach it.

I hope that made sense, and would love to see pictures of the final result!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Vik Muniz - Artist Profile
Simon Fleming - Artist Profile
Fernando Daoliveira Profile
Artist Painter Lindsay Chambers
Viviana Guiliani - Artist profile
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...