A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,116
Currently Running With Scissors:
352 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My first successful garden  (Read 1325 times)
Tags for this thread: garden  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

crazyda79
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: July 24, 2011 03:29:34 PM »

I have been planting a garden in this tiny backyard with horrid soil for the past three years and this year is the first year that anything has fruited!  Well, there was last year's artichokes that I didn't know when to harvest as with the black eyed peas three years ago that I let die because I didn't know when to pick them either.  Turns out letting them die was the best thing ever, that is how you make soup beans!  WOOHOO!  Anyways, I digress to this year. 

My artichoke plant which was planted three years ago, died, then came back last year (two years after it died), fruited and gave me 16 artichokes this year.  Now those stalks are dying and new ones have already sprouted, it is an odd and amazing plant!

As you can tell, I had no idea about gardening or artichokes when I planted it super close to the vines on the fence.  Oh well, live and learn.  At least it fruited to give me these:

I also planted radishes, carrots (never sprouted), onions, eggplant, watermelon, green beans, luffa, grapes, early girl tomatoes, lemon boy tomatoes, chocolate cherry tomatoes, butter lettuce, and spinach (which sprouted and then wilted and withered away).

Grapevine:

From closest to camera to furthest: lemon boy tomato, 2 early girl tomatoes, onions, eggplant, radishes, carrots, artichokes and beyond artichokes is the watermelon.

First planted

When planting, the three year old knocked over all the seed packets causing several to spill onto floor.  We scooped them up and put into this container for a mystery crop.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest
50 projects in 2014 my list on page 54
119/50 swaps
93/50 friends/family
212/50 total
hgddm

What a piece of work is man!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011 03:42:01 PM »

Beautiful! Those artichokes are just gorgeous.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jennythor
crafty where it counts

crafting and swimming will save the world

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011 03:47:24 PM »

what climate do you have for artichokes?
i love them. i wonder if they can grow indoors?
hmmm, google here i come again
THIS ROCKS   Logged

love to take part in personal swaps, I would love a poppet of my very own, or a doll like the ones made by Poppets & Lace
crazyda79

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011 04:28:30 PM »

what climate do you have for artichokes?
i love them. i wonder if they can grow indoors?
hmmm, google here i come again

I live in southern California.  They started growing in January by themselves and I didn't do anything special, just water from Mother nature.  I really don't understand their growth but enjoy their fruit.  YUM.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest
50 projects in 2014 my list on page 54
119/50 swaps
93/50 friends/family
212/50 total
LadybugsAndBumblebees

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011 05:09:09 PM »

I am amazed!  Not only by your garden, but by your energy and your thoughfulness and creativity.  I only have three kids (and one is 17, so he takes care of himself) and I can't manage a garden a quarter of that size!  Also, the fact that your kid spilled some of the seeds and you thought to scoop them up and put them in a "mystery" garden says a lot about your mothering abilities! 

(Those artichokes look delicious!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://Pinterest.com/LdybgGrl

You can call me Queen Bee!
Or, Ladybug Girl, if you'd prefer.
WendyTheSpaz
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011 12:04:17 AM »

I'm so impressed! I would have had a hard time not giving up on those artichokes or anything else! It all looks so great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kasuro
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012 03:33:01 PM »

I have been planting a garden in this tiny backyard with horrid soil for the past three years

Have you considered making great soil?  It's the ultimate DIY project and you can choose how involved you want to get. 

The secret is compost. 
If your soil is sandy, the organic material keeps the water from draining away too fast. 
If your soil is clay, organic material helps open it up so it will drain. 

There are tons or resources online for making compost, and it can be done by saving your veg scraps and putting them in a bin, a pile or if you're short on space, you can use worms to break the scraps down for you. 

Though my favorite gardening book with lots of great info on making fabulous soil is How to Grow more Vegetables by John Jeavons.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gr33nT3a
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012 08:35:41 PM »

This makes me miss home so much. I'm also from Southern California (Bakersfield to be more precise) and my neighbors had a huge backyard garden.

I lived next to them for over 12 years and grew up with their kids. They always had artichokes in their backyard and the best blackberry bush ever.

I'm also in love with the mystery garden. It will be fun when the seedlings get bigger and you can separate them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Běifāng yǒu jiārn, jush r dl. Y g qīng rn chng, zi g qīng rn gu. Nng b zhī qīng chng yǔ qīng gu. Jiārn nn zi d.
北方有佳人,绝世而独立。一顾倾人城,再顾倾人国。宁不知倾城与倾国。佳人难再得。
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon XSi/450D: Set Manual Focus Function
Canon XSi/450D: Set ISO Function
Canon XSi/450D: Set Format Function
Canon XSi/450D: Set Flash Function
Canon XSi/450D: Set Exposure Compensation Function
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...