A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,180
Currently Running With Scissors:
521 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My first soap (MP only though)  (Read 971 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

alexania
« on: July 31, 2011 01:43:37 PM »

So after months of wanting to I've at last attempted MP soap (I'm still getting up the courage to play with lye).

I made two batches of soap. I don't have a double-boiler/dedicated soap bowl, so used the "microwave method". With my first batch it cooled down much quicker than I worked, which meant that when I poured it into the molds, it created bubbly wobbles on top. Tongue The second batch worked much better.

I found them to be quite oily when I took them out of the molds, is that normal? I was also faced with the problem of "what do I do with them?". I live by the coast, so I didn't want the humidity to melt them. Eventually I just wrapped them in cling wrap. What do you guys do with your completed soap?

The first batch was a Brown Sugar and Vanilla batch (with Vitamin E). I wasn't very sure about my vanilla FO, as it didn't smell at all like vanilla in the bottle. :/ So I probably didn't use as much as I could've, it's consequently not a very strong smelling soap.

The second batch was a Lavender and Olive Oil batch. The lavender flowers just kind of floated on top, which depressed me a little, but oh well!

Over all I'm pretty proud of them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011 02:32:48 PM »

The brown sugar and vanilla one looks luscious. I'd want to lick it to taste it too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011 02:51:52 PM »

Looks great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/13

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
chattyKathi
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011 03:06:18 PM »

I like that the lavender floated to the top. looks pretty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

love laugh create!
tcmatteson

Baby it's cold outside...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011 03:49:00 PM »

These turned out really nice! You were right to cling/ceran wrap your lovely bars ^_^ It will help prevent them from sweating and/or drying out until you use them. As for the oily-ness, I guess that would depend on the brand of MP soap you bought and if you added in any extra oils. The typical rule for oil additives is no more than 1 TBS of oils per pound of soap, otherwise it will cause the soap to become sticky and oily! And I'm definitely gonna have to try out that vanilla and brown sugar soap at some time, it sounds lovely!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafter turned Soaper
Been away from Craftster for far too long Sad I miss this crafty community!
Simple & Clean Soapery on FB
Simple & Clean Soapery on etsy
noturavggeek
"This is my art, and it is dangerous! Do you think I want to die like this?" Delia Deetz

I want to live 'til I die. No More, No Less

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011 07:57:18 AM »

These turned out great!! The brown sugar and vanilla looks yummy!

A couple idears for some of your comments:
  • After putting the soap in molds, spritz them with some rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle, it'll get rid of the bubbles
  • I tend to measure out all my additives before melting the soap so they're at the ready, but if your soap starts to cool rapidly before everything's incorporated, I've thrown it back in the microwave for a couple seconds (not recommended to do more than once!)
  • To get additives to suspend in the soap, the soap needs to start thickening, almost like cake batter consistency before you pour into molds, unless you get a suspension based MP (I've never tried it tho, I just use the regular)
  • The oily feeling I'm not sure, it could be your base, too much olive oil, not mixed enough...
  • And for storage, mine get wrapped in cling wrap and stored in a towel closet til I need them
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Homemade Strawberry Milkshake Recipe
A Dessert You Can Make With Your Kids Before They Head Back to School
How to Make a Pug Pupcake
Ice Cream Bread Recipe
How to Make Chunky Monkey Bonbons
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...