A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 299,133
Currently Running With Scissors:
655 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I did it!!! (a plus-size skirt for 9-year-old)  (Read 1633 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SewHelpMe
« on: July 23, 2011 06:25:42 AM »

I haven't posted on Craftster in a million years, but I'm so pleased with how this skirt turned out, I HAVE to brag about it.

It has a bit of a background.  My dear roommate from college is in a tough financial situation at the moment.  I'm fortunate enough (at the moment) to be able to help her buy her little girls' back to school clothing.

Problem #1:  the girls are plus-sized (8- and 9-years old with 33" and 35" waists).
Problem #2:  "they" don't make plus-sized clothing for kids (and what we did find was generic).

A couple of years ago, I made some easy elastic-waisted skirts and shorts for another friend's 3-year-old, so I decided I would "just" make them some skirts, capris and pants (dummy me, I didn't know what I was getting myself into!).

Problem #3:  "they" don't make REAL plus-sized patterns for plus-sized girls!  And the ones we found were mostly dresses, and these girls really want pants.

Somehow, I tripped across a wonderful pattern drafting website and bought The Works (I'm not sure if I'm allowed to type the company name???).  My mom and I spent a couple of hours plotting the girls' measurements and cutting out muslins to fit them.  Oh my gosh!  The pants and skirts fit BEAUTIFULLY!!!

That's a long story to show you the first real skirt I made yesterday.  

I'm thrilled, too, because for the very first time, I put in an invisible zipper, figured out how to use my ruffler foot AND how to thread the scary monster serger I bought 4 years ago that was still in the box!

The second photo is what the seams look like.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2011 06:53:25 AM by SewHelpMe » THIS ROCKS   Logged
NotKnit

My best works.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011 06:42:00 AM »

Very pretty Smiley and what a great friend you are!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cealy
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011 08:37:43 AM »

Awesome job to an awesome friend!!
I have an idea for you, depending on how much the girls like dresses, if you buy a womans tank top and some tshirt jersey you can make the cutiest grow-ing up girls dresses. Get the girls to put the tanks on, find where their hips are and then cut the tank to that length leaving enough for a hem. Measure from where you cut the tank off (being mindful of adding in the hem on both ends) to where they wear their skirts. Cut a band of fabric double the length and cut. Fold the band right sides out and sew to the bottom of the tank. You now have a self lined skirt. If the top of the tank is too low for their age group and likely under the arms as well, take the jersey and outline the tank on to it making the neck not as deep and the under arms more shallow.  Cut it out, sew in the side seams and serge the edges and tack under the shoulders and under the arms. These are the fastest easy peasy dresses Ive made. You can always look for Tshirts at the GoodWill or any second hand store to cut up for the skirt part, the tanks too if you are lucky!
C
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fiddlegirl8
Sew, Sew Happy!!

Are you going to throw that away?! Can I have it?!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011 01:18:57 PM »

Beautiful skirt!  Cheesy Show us some pants too - I love your fabric choices.  Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Oh, give me a home where the buffalo roam...  (Kansas State Song)
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011 05:09:23 PM »

So fabulous!  you're so generous!   

(and, yes you may share the company name Smiley )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SewHelpMe
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011 11:42:45 AM »

Thanks, everyone for the compliments!

I'm almost finished with the second little girl's skirt so I'll post that later this afternoon.

We've only made the girls muslins with the pants patterns so far.  They won't be all that exciting because the girls' school has a color-code, and they can only wear khaki, olive or navy pants/skirts/capris to school.  But, I'll definitely post pics when we get some finished!

[quote (and, yes you may share the company name Smiley )[/quote]

YAY!  I am in no way affiliated with Sure-Fit Designs, except as a very, very happy customer, I'm pleased to recommend to others.  Her pattern drafting kits are wonderful.  In addition to the skirts and pants we're making for my friends, my mom and I have both made pants muslins for ourselves.  I have NEVER found a pair of pants that fit my short torso/long legs (I'm basically a head with a pair of legs attached).  We were both THRILLED to try our muslins and find the crotches not hanging down to our knees and no gap at the waist!  Happy, happy, happy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
graceless lady
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011 12:03:07 PM »

What a great friend you are, and what an adorable skirt! Thanks for the info. on Sure-Fit. I'll check it out for sure.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SewHelpMe
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011 12:55:55 PM »

Here's the second skirt.  I forgot to add the seam allowances on the ruffle so this one's shorter, doggoneit!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
brandybollen
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011 06:01:56 AM »

Fantastic! What lucky little girls!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SAHM and Proud Navy Wife.
Doing the best I can!
kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011 07:56:52 AM »

Great job.  They look fantastic.  I hope the girls like them.

Thanks for sharing about the pattern drafting software, it's something I've been looking into for more than 10 years and I am so excited to hear about a good experience with one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How Style Beachy Waves
How to Style Short Hair
How to Get a Braided Up-Do
How to Curl Your Hair With a Straightener
How to Style Side-Swept Bangs
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...