A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,899
Currently Running With Scissors:
311 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: friends 16th  (Read 1963 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

yawning pumpkins

the answer my friend i blowin in the wind

View Profile
« on: June 08, 2005 06:37:11 PM »

(i'm rephrasing all of this) my friend is chinese and he says he wants something asain for his 16th birthday, however he won't tell me an specifics (go figure). so what can i get him that would be something really cool and have some sort of asian theme?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2005 06:17:15 PM by yawning pumpkins » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'd rather be the gypsy
who's camped at the edge of town
the one who has the dancing bear
that follows him around

and he lifts his big foot up
puts his big foot down
then bows..then twirls..
then dances round and round
Elwood

I am the Llama Queen!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2005 12:44:01 PM »

Is he a Buddist?  I made my friend a little Zen garden.  I also made a huge one I'll take pics of when I'm done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yawning pumpkins

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2005 08:28:54 PM »

ah sweet. thanks, i'm not sure if hes buddist but does it matter? they are wicked cool. thanks elwood
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'd rather be the gypsy
that follows him around

puts his big foot down
then bows..then twirls..
jennamaphur
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2005 01:55:30 AM »

i guess it's not very crafty...but you can find out his favourite asian foods. i grew up in philippines, and there are certain foods that i CRAVE that i can't easily get here. you can go to your asian food market, buy a bunch of them (whatever asian-y snacks he likes). also what nationality is he? for example, if he were vietnamese you can use a farmer's hat as a basket to hold it all and decorate the wrapping? maybe fill the gaps with origami?

or take him out for an asian themed day! go for dimsum as breakfast, visit an asian gallery, go to a japanese garden, rent a whole bunch of asian movies (whether it be korean chick flicks, japanese horror, kung fu, etc.) while eating chinese/thai take-out or the asian snack pack you've prepared?  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GinaTy05
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2005 07:27:08 PM »

i guess it's not very crafty...but you can find out his favourite asian foods. i grew up in philippines, and there are certain foods that i CRAVE that i can't easily get here. you can go to your asian food market, buy a bunch of them (whatever asian-y snacks he likes). also what nationality is he? for example, if he were vietnamese you can use a farmer's hat as a basket to hold it all and decorate the wrapping? maybe fill the gaps with origami?

There are some AWESOME snacks and candies that you could only get at asian food markets! You should definitely hit up those dollar stores too! Here's an idea: Get a wood box (since it's more masculine) and a wood burning pen. Find out what he is (Vietnamese, Chinese, etc.) and pick a word, like FRIEND and get those symbols/letters and make a stencil out of it. Then stencil it on the box with a pencil and then use the wood burning pen to trace it. After you do that, you can get some finishing gloss (or whatever is used for wood) to polish it off! Fill the box with snacks and candy and stuff like that. It should cost you, like $20.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again, but life goes on." - Blow
16candles
Impulsive Letter Writer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2005 08:05:53 PM »

i don't usually comment on stuff like this, but do you honestly have to put such an emphisis on being asian?
i  mean i'm a halfie and where i'm from being asian is more common than being white.  but yeah why not just make/get him something that suits him as a person not a race. gosh!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fashion is feeding us identification.
http://www.geocities.com/dropdowngorgeous/
yawning pumpkins

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2005 06:13:07 PM »

i don't usually comment on stuff like this, but do you honestly have to put such an emphisis on being asian?
i mean i'm a halfie and where i'm from being asian is more common than being white. but yeah why not just make/get him something that suits him as a person not a race. gosh!

sorry, i didnt mean to sound racial, but he is very proud of his chinese culture and wanted something that reflected it. like i mean i asked him waht he wants and he goes "something chinese" and me being itialian and crud i ahve no idea what to get him. he did say something about a rice hat and a bamboo plant, but where do i get a rice hat? again sorry about the emphisis of his race, i'll change the heading if i can.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'd rather be the gypsy
that follows him around

puts his big foot down
then bows..then twirls..
spoonerism
gabriella.

gabriella

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2005 06:18:15 PM »

depending on where you live, there are so much things to get him! whether it be like food, toys........ hahaa im asian i love the knockoff paulfrank, and louis vuitton ... but he is a guy... there are plenty of funny little asian character toys .... you might like them... check your chinatown!

(sorry i wanst very helpful)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chicopeon
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2005 06:23:29 PM »

I understand you weren't being racial! He just wants something that ties him to his culture. I am Japanese, and I do like things Japanesey. Maybe you can stencil a shirt for him with a chinese symbol. There are ones (chinese lettering) or kanji in Japanese, that have specific meanings like, happiness, good luck,  long life. Or maybe find out what his Chinese astrological sign is , like tiger, horse, etc., and  do a shirt. There are sites that you can find the chinese characters or astrological signs at.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chicopeon
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2005 06:30:31 PM »

Here are some sites:

http://www.chinesesymbolsmeaning.com/

http://cat.nyu.edu/~liaos/noshock/zodiac/calendar.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Turkey Burgers with Blueberry Barbecue Sauce
Everything You Need For the Perfect Super Bowl Spread
How To Make Green Chili Burger, A Chicago Favorite
4 Super Bowl Recipes That Will Make You Look Like a Pro Chef
Vegan Man Finds the Best Vegan Pizza in L.A.
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...