A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,070
Currently Running With Scissors:
797 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Lord of the Rings Afghan  (Read 9592 times)
Tags for this thread: lord_of_the_rings , afghan  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

azabuey
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2012 08:39:43 PM »

Sorry to be bumping this, I realize that it's pretty old, but if the OP would consider detailing how they: 1) adapted the patterns they used and 2) describing how they put the parts together, it would be greatly appreciated!
A friend of mine is willing to pay me if I make this for him, so I must also ask if there are any copyright issues surrounding that.

If I can PM the OP about this, that would work too.
Thanks, all!

I started with the Tree of Gondor Chart, where each square was one tunisian stitch using a j hook.  It was 50 stitches wide and 92 stitches tall.  Then I did sc around in white (again in j).  I probably put three sc in each corner, but I don't remember.

Next I made four Sls Caomh from Interweave Crochet, Spring 2009 using a G hook.  I did not do the first and last cables.  Someone asked for clarification earlier, so I posted in this thread more detail about the baby blankets in November.  I did sc in white around each blanket, most likely with three sc in each corner.  Then I put the four baby blankets together, either by sewing or slip stitch.  I know I sewed my scrabble blanket, but I think I did slip stitch with this one.

Next I made the ring's elvish inscription in 4 pieces using tunisian with a j hook. I put one row of just blue on either side of the inscription, so that made it 14 stitches wide. The top piece had four rows of blue, then 71 rows of the first phrase, 38 rows of blue, 79 rows of the second phrase, and six rows of blue.  Going clockwise, the next piece had 17 rows of blue, 89 rows of the third phrase, 38 rows of blue, 76 rows of the fourth phrase, and 20 rows of blue.  The third piece started with two rows of blue, 71 rows of the first phrase again, 38 rows of blue, 79 rows of the second phrase, and one row of blue.  The last piece had 22 rows of blue, 89 rows of the third phrase, 38 rows of blue, 76 rows of the fourth phrase, and 21 rows of blue.  I pretty sure I slip stitched the four pieces together. Around the outside of the border, I did sc in j hook in white (3 sc in each corner). 

Now because I used a g hook for Sls Caomh, I had unmatching amounts of stitches to slip the baby blankets together with the final border of the elvish inscription.  I'm not sure how I fixed it.  I have notes for increasing the number of stitches as I did the inside border, and I have notes for decreasing the outside border of the four baby blankets (which are not making a lot of sense to me right now).  So, here's what I think I did.  For the inside of the top strip, using i hook, I increased in the 5th stitch 40 times.  Going clockwise, on the next side I increased in the 8th stitch 34 times.  On the bottom, I increased in the 4th stitch 47 times.  And on the left, I increased in the 9th stitch 27 times.  I now had three pieces with borders of white, and I slip stitched them together.  The pieces did not fit exactly together, so you'll have to do more math before hand than I did.

There are no copyright issues from me, because I just used other people's patterns and put them together.  Do you have a ravelry account, because that's where I got the charts?  Although, the chart for the elvish inscription no longer seems to be available.  I have a paper copy, so I can upload it for you if you need it.  I hope my delayed response did not deter you from making this blanket and that they prove helpful.  If there's anything else you need to know, ask me and I might remember the answer.  Smiley  It's been almost a year since I finished it, and the blanket and I are no longer in the same state.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ainthere
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2012 09:23:35 PM »

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/one-ring-scarf
Found a pattern for the inscription. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Authentic Texas BBQ
Fantastic Gluten Free Corn Hot Cakes
Emoo-Ving Story: Anthony Eats America Ep. 1 - Deleted Scene
Bad News Bannister: Anthony Eats America Ep. 1 - Deleted Scene
Bald and the Beautiful: Anthony Eats America Ep. 1 - Deleted Scene
Latest Blog Articles
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...