A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,175
Currently Running With Scissors:
661 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Lord of the Rings Afghan  (Read 10861 times)
Tags for this thread: lord_of_the_rings , afghan  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

azabuey
« on: July 21, 2011 07:37:44 PM »

Another friend of mine is getting married, so I made my second afghan.  I started planning it April 26th, and began to crochet two days later.  Tonight, I finally finished.  I tried new things, so making blankets is still a learning experience for me.  I first made the center panel of the Tree of Gondor from a knitting chart I found on Ravelry.  http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/tree-of-gondor-chart  This was the second time I'd used tunisian, but the first time where I changed colors.  So, I pulled my stitches a little too tight when I changed colors and it ended up not being a rectangle.  Next, I made four baby blankets called Sls Caomh from the Spring 2009 issue of Interweave Crochet.  http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/solas-caomh  http://www.interweavestore.com/Crochet/Patterns/Solas-Caomh.html  I didn't use the first and last cables because I didn't want the whole blanket to be too big.  The border is the elvish inscription found on The Ring twice.  It says, "One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them.  One ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them."  I found a knitting chart for that on ravelry as well.  http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/lord-of-the-rings-scarf  I crocheted more loosely this time, so it ended up even.

This picture shows the true colors:

This is the back:

I used about 17 skeins of Simply Soft Dark Country Blue and two of White.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pesky pixie
Kitschy Crocheter

Hook like there's no tomorrow.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011 08:10:30 PM »

Wow! That's so cool!
I wish I could get a close-up shot of the writing. It looks so awesome!
Great job!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

anderlance
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011 08:17:16 PM »

One word.  BEAUTIFUL!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sna
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011 08:56:16 PM »

Wow! This is so impressively intricate! Beautiful work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafting is 5% skill and 95% staying off the internet
tcmatteson

Baby it's cold outside...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011 12:25:34 AM »

This rocks! I can only imagine how long it took you to make and it turned out so beautifully! ^_^ Your friend is going to love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafter turned Soaper
Been away from Craftster for far too long Sad I miss this crafty community!
Simple & Clean Soapery on FB
Simple & Clean Soapery on etsy
mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011 05:07:50 AM »

as a total noob to tunisian, I am in awe of your skills!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Teamama

One Crafty Mama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011 05:35:02 AM »

Wow.

I don't know what else to say besides - wow!

This is amazingly beautiful work.

I'm hitting This Rocks.

~Tea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join us for the  NEW 2012-2013 Year of Homemade Gifts: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=413499.0

*LOVE to swap ATCs, and tw/inchies! PM Me!*

Jewels: www.bypatriciabrowne.weebly.com
Le blog: www.talkandtealeaves.blogspot.com
shop: www.etsy.com/shop/PLBrowne
azabuey
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011 08:53:19 AM »

Wow! That's so cool!
I wish I could get a close-up shot of the writing. It looks so awesome!
Great job!!!!

I didn't take close ups of the last two phrases as I worked them, so I tried zooming in on an image of the whole thing and flipping it because the closer phrase I wanted was upside down.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
striker923

Rogues do it from behind

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011 10:13:59 AM »

Very, Very cool...what a lucky couple!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheCRPSGirl
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011 12:31:04 PM »

That is absolutely gorgeous!  I would be beyond thrilled to receive that. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011 01:05:21 PM »

Beautiful work.  I love the border.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2011 01:08:52 AM »

Wow, those are some beautiful patterns! So many beautiful parts combined in one! How long did it take you to make this?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HisTechnoAngel
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2011 05:55:15 PM »

that is super impressive! Excellent job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
azabuey
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2011 01:13:02 PM »

Thank you everyone for your comments!

Wow, those are some beautiful patterns! So many beautiful parts combined in one! How long did it take you to make this?

It took about five days less than three months.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Birdistheword93
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2011 09:30:04 PM »

Thats simply amazing.
I envy your skill level to be able to make somthing like that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
isa3187
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2011 10:17:15 PM »

WOW!!!!!!!!!
This is freaken awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!

love it, Great JOb!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Shipshape
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2011 11:56:44 AM »

Wow. Just...WOW. I'm SO impressed - that must have taken you MONTHS! It's just beautiful, your friend is going to love it! Congratulations - that's a piece of work to be really proud of.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KohniK
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2011 04:25:51 PM »

Wow this is awesome! I showed my husband this and he asked me to make one. HEHE!

Seriously great work!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
horsygirl321
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2011 08:37:33 AM »

Shocked Beautiful!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        You like my designs? Wow, thanks!
      You can check out the patterns here:         
           http://oregonstream.etsy.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My_RubySlippers
Dabbler Of Everything

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2011 07:35:28 PM »

So gorgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I do personal swaps, especially ATCs! ( I'm recently addicted)
LewellasCraft
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2011 09:18:22 PM »

Your afghan is awesome, my partner asked me to make him one so I have a few questions about yours if you don't mind.
1. the baby afghans, you said you skipped the first and last cables, does that mean you eliminated those stitches all together, or just the cables?
2. I noticed in your finished afghan you have four of the baby'ghan's only two are longer and two are shorter, can you give me an approximate size for the short and long parts please? Measuring in inches will work for me.
3. the center tree, I am no knitter so I am going to try this with Tunisian Crochet, but I will probably have to two of them as the back of one would not look like the front. Anyway did you knit yours? How did you get it double sided?

Thanks so much for sharing, my partner's is going to be dark green and gold. I hope it turns out as good as yours.

Lewellas Craft
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Earth teach me quiet, as the grasses are still with new light.
Earth teach me suffering, as old stones suffer with memory.
Earth teach me humility, as blossoms are humble with beginning.
Earth teach me courage, as the tree that stands alone.
- Ute Prayer
azabuey
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2011 03:43:23 PM »

Your afghan is awesome, my partner asked me to make him one so I have a few questions about yours if you don't mind.
1. the baby afghans, you said you skipped the first and last cables, does that mean you eliminated those stitches all together, or just the cables?
2. I noticed in your finished afghan you have four of the baby'ghan's only two are longer and two are shorter, can you give me an approximate size for the short and long parts please? Measuring in inches will work for me.
3. the center tree, I am no knitter so I am going to try this with Tunisian Crochet, but I will probably have to two of them as the back of one would not look like the front. Anyway did you knit yours? How did you get it double sided?

Thanks so much for sharing, my partner's is going to be dark green and gold. I hope it turns out as good as yours.

Lewellas Craft

Sorry it took me so long to reply.  I haven't been on here in a few weeks.  I don't mind at all at your questions.  I'm flattered you want to replicate my blanket.

1. When I said I eliminated the first and last cables, it means that I also did not do the stitches leading up to and after those cables.  For example, on row 2, I started with "dc in next 6 sts," and ended with "dc in next 6 sts."  So to start this blanket, I think I chained 104 instead of 123.
2. I did not write down the measurements of the individual baby'ghan's, but I did note the number of sc I did around the border.  So my guess of the measurements are thus: The width of both blankets are about 20 inches.  The length of the smaller blanket is about 34 inches, and the longer blanket is about 43.  The only difference between the smaller blanket and the pattern for it is the width.  In both the pattern and the smaller blanket, Rows 2-9 are crocheted a total of 11 times.  My longer blanket has 14 pattern repeats.
3. I used Tunisian crochet for the tree, and it is not double sided.  I just twisted the strand I wasn't using at the time with the one I was using on every stitch to carry that strand where I needed it without having anything loose where something could snag on it.

I hope this helps, and I look forward to seeing your finished blanket.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Melby
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2011 04:11:07 PM »

Wow, that is super amazing!! Incredible job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
indigo_roses
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2011 12:29:43 PM »

Lovely! I like the cables!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest
50 in 2013 18/50

Taking a break from swapping to focus on crafting for myself, friends, and charity
MiniBooger
For I'd rather stay here, with all the madmen, for I'm quite content, they're all as sane as me...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2012 07:26:13 PM »

Insanely Gorgeous! I am jealous of the couple that received it (I'm sure they were THRILLED!) I'm definitely going to give this a go using your notes.

With The Hobbit movie releasing this December, are you going to try your hand at making another one?! (hint, hint)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

krysty
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2012 12:10:04 AM »

Hi,
I'm new here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
purple_sense
Lurkey McLurkerson

I can have a dark side too!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2012 01:22:28 PM »

WOW!  You rock my socks, this is ACE!  Totally gorgeous and so intricate and elvish.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
azabuey
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2012 08:50:39 PM »

Hi,
I'm new here.

Hey newbie!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
azabuey
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2012 08:58:09 PM »

Insanely Gorgeous! I am jealous of the couple that received it (I'm sure they were THRILLED!) I'm definitely going to give this a go using your notes.

With The Hobbit movie releasing this December, are you going to try your hand at making another one?! (hint, hint)

I would love to see what you make!

I probably won't make another one anytime soon.  I make blankets as wedding gifts, and I don't have anyone getting married right now.  Also, I don't want to give anyone the same exact blanket.  But, I probably will reuse some part of this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
drowninginpaper
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2012 03:18:10 PM »

Sorry to be bumping this, I realize that it's pretty old, but if the OP would consider detailing how they: 1) adapted the patterns they used and 2) describing how they put the parts together, it would be greatly appreciated!
A friend of mine is willing to pay me if I make this for him, so I must also ask if there are any copyright issues surrounding that.

If I can PM the OP about this, that would work too.
Thanks, all!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
azabuey
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2012 08:39:43 PM »

Sorry to be bumping this, I realize that it's pretty old, but if the OP would consider detailing how they: 1) adapted the patterns they used and 2) describing how they put the parts together, it would be greatly appreciated!
A friend of mine is willing to pay me if I make this for him, so I must also ask if there are any copyright issues surrounding that.

If I can PM the OP about this, that would work too.
Thanks, all!

I started with the Tree of Gondor Chart, where each square was one tunisian stitch using a j hook.  It was 50 stitches wide and 92 stitches tall.  Then I did sc around in white (again in j).  I probably put three sc in each corner, but I don't remember.

Next I made four Sls Caomh from Interweave Crochet, Spring 2009 using a G hook.  I did not do the first and last cables.  Someone asked for clarification earlier, so I posted in this thread more detail about the baby blankets in November.  I did sc in white around each blanket, most likely with three sc in each corner.  Then I put the four baby blankets together, either by sewing or slip stitch.  I know I sewed my scrabble blanket, but I think I did slip stitch with this one.

Next I made the ring's elvish inscription in 4 pieces using tunisian with a j hook. I put one row of just blue on either side of the inscription, so that made it 14 stitches wide. The top piece had four rows of blue, then 71 rows of the first phrase, 38 rows of blue, 79 rows of the second phrase, and six rows of blue.  Going clockwise, the next piece had 17 rows of blue, 89 rows of the third phrase, 38 rows of blue, 76 rows of the fourth phrase, and 20 rows of blue.  The third piece started with two rows of blue, 71 rows of the first phrase again, 38 rows of blue, 79 rows of the second phrase, and one row of blue.  The last piece had 22 rows of blue, 89 rows of the third phrase, 38 rows of blue, 76 rows of the fourth phrase, and 21 rows of blue.  I pretty sure I slip stitched the four pieces together. Around the outside of the border, I did sc in j hook in white (3 sc in each corner). 

Now because I used a g hook for Sls Caomh, I had unmatching amounts of stitches to slip the baby blankets together with the final border of the elvish inscription.  I'm not sure how I fixed it.  I have notes for increasing the number of stitches as I did the inside border, and I have notes for decreasing the outside border of the four baby blankets (which are not making a lot of sense to me right now).  So, here's what I think I did.  For the inside of the top strip, using i hook, I increased in the 5th stitch 40 times.  Going clockwise, on the next side I increased in the 8th stitch 34 times.  On the bottom, I increased in the 4th stitch 47 times.  And on the left, I increased in the 9th stitch 27 times.  I now had three pieces with borders of white, and I slip stitched them together.  The pieces did not fit exactly together, so you'll have to do more math before hand than I did.

There are no copyright issues from me, because I just used other people's patterns and put them together.  Do you have a ravelry account, because that's where I got the charts?  Although, the chart for the elvish inscription no longer seems to be available.  I have a paper copy, so I can upload it for you if you need it.  I hope my delayed response did not deter you from making this blanket and that they prove helpful.  If there's anything else you need to know, ask me and I might remember the answer.  Smiley  It's been almost a year since I finished it, and the blanket and I are no longer in the same state.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ainthere
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2012 09:23:35 PM »

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/one-ring-scarf
Found a pattern for the inscription. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Double Dare: How to Wear Bronzer in the Winter
How to Look Like a Bronzed Beauty
Affordable Beauty Luxuries
YouTube Beauty Gurus Tell Us Their Best Beauty Hacks
Clean Up Your Eyebrows in 5 Minutes or Less
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...