A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,610
Currently Running With Scissors:
586 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: From Pow to WOW! Tons of pics  (Read 5417 times)
Tags for this thread: window , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: July 21, 2011 02:23:18 PM »

Sometimes when something bad happens, it's an opportunity to make something great of the mess. I think that's what I've done with this project. I have a story to tell here. So if you don't want to read it, just scroll through the pictures. If you do, then read on my friends!

When we first moved into this house I had two kids and now I have five. There have been a lot of changes made to make the house more kid friendly. The first to go was the blinds that were on the windows of the french doors that led to the back yard. Peanut butter and jelly and fabric blinds don't mix well, and they were impossible to clean. But removing them made the doors look so stark and naked.
So I added a window scarf. It was easy to take down and wash. However, I did not know at the time that my 4 year old son would think that it made a perfect "vine" to swing from when he played George of the Jungle. Do you remember that movie?
When he did that, he yanked the curtain rod mount out of the trim molding that it was screwed into. Thinking that I could just remove the piece from the curtain rod mount and use a little wood glue and putty to fix it, I threw it into the abyss  garage. Later that year when the garage got cleaned out, the piece was missing. So much for that idea!
I have a friend who has a job doing trim molding in houses. Surely he could just patch it for me, right? Nope. DH and I went shopping at Lowes to see if we could find a patch. None existed. There were some other plans made which weren't going to work either. Replacing all of the trim molding around the door was gong to be expensive! It's 5 1/2" molding. That stuff isn't cheap!
 Looking around the house at the other arched doorways gave me an idea. I would make it an arch. So, here's the finished product, and then the steps.

This is the wow. There will be more detailed pictures later.

This is the hole that Chris made. That's the pow.

After removing the entire top piece, and doing some measurements...

I cut the board I'd bought, using a piece of cardboard as the template, into an arch.

And re-mitered the side pieces and then nailed it all up there.

I'd love the tell you that I was able to find some really cheap wood appliques to put up there to make it beautiful and easy. Nope. Those things and expensive, and I was going for cheap.
I soon realized that I was going to have to make my own. Since I have some experience with Super Sculpey, I decided that that is what I would use.
I found that a half jellyroll pan made the perfect surface to sculpt on, and the bake the project. I made sure that I made places to put in some nails to prop it up while the wood glue dried.

Left side

After the glue dried, I primed the whole thing with Kilz primer, and then gave it a coat of Valspar semi-gloss. It only took one coat.

center

After the paint dried, I used an acrylic antiquing medium all over, and then wiped it down with a damp cloth.

Right side

The antiquing made all of the details pop. I love how it turned out!
What do you think?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011 02:56:57 PM »

Definitely wow! It's quite amazing, the super-sculpey pieces are stunning, quite beautiful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
evilSabina
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011 03:38:46 PM »

Definitely wow! I'll have to keep this in mind if/when my kid destroys the house.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lindsycarranza

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011 03:51:48 PM »

Wow! What a wonderful solution! So pretty Smiley Very well done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Okay so once again I am completely redoing my pictures. Got tired of photobucket, the only reason I used it was for here so I decided I will just use Craftster's photo uploader. So while I am switching over my photo links will be broken. Message me if there is a post you would like the pics for.
cindy602
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011 04:43:51 PM »

Wow.  that looks great!!

tely wow! It's quite amazing, the super-sculpey pieces are stunning, quite beautiful.
[/quote]
Wow! What a wonderful solution! So pretty Smiley Very well done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eapa
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011 09:46:36 PM »

I'm blown away.  It looks wonderful - and is completely inspiring!  I'm just a renter, so I can't do too much altering to my place, but now I kind of want to play around with making wall plaques and frame trim out of Sculpey, too.

Thank you for the post, the great pictures, and the detailed discussion!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Snake boobs get in the way of slithering.

I blog about my life adventures, and sometimes even the things I make: http://snakeboobs.blogspot.com/
Jinjeet Phoenix
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011 11:25:18 PM »

Incredibly "Wow"! Great and perfect solution and a fantastic addition of art work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011 07:36:46 AM »

This looks fantastic! You are so creative in your solution to your broken molding! I featured this project on Craftster's Facebook page today. Thanks for sharing.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like it? Check out my newly re-opened Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
cute_anarchy
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011 07:59:18 AM »

Really brilliant!  This looks so good, better than before, and a perfect way to fix it!  Just one more way your house is really yours, and a good feeling every time you look at it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a medium aged procrastinator, with a room full of craft supplies! 

I've got a wist and a pinterest: http://www.wists.com/cute_anarchy 
craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011 08:06:39 AM »

This looks fantastic! You are so creative in your solution to your broken molding! I featured this project on Craftster's Facebook page today. Thanks for sharing.  Smiley
Eeeek! Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Merge Linked Layers in Photoshop CS3
How to Merge Visible Layers in Photoshop CS3
How to Move a Selection in Paint.NET
How to Move a Title in Title Designer in Premiere CS3
How to Open an Image in Photoshop CS3
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...