A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 298,238
Currently Running With Scissors:
721 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A big teddy bear that I made for charity (Includes four pictures)  (Read 586 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mega Crafter
Mega Man Maniac

View Profile
« on: July 20, 2011 07:39:19 PM »

Every so often, I make something for fund-raising, including teddy bears. I made this one about a year ago.

This guy is the third bear I've made, and as you can see, he's quite a contrast to the first bear I ever made (the second one was an experiment with a different pattern, and with working with joints further than I had before that point, and I haven't posted him because he didn't come out very well at all). Even though this bear was made from a slightly modified version of the same pattern as the first, he came out a LOT bigger, because I used different fabrics and construction techniques - he was easily about two or three feet tall, and very big and huggable. His photos are below;

There's also a bit of a sad tale behind him.

Basically, when donated (which was at a charity event where attendance was poor), he seemed to me to be a little bit gruffly-received, but nonetheless I was told that since attendance that day hadn't been good, he would be raffled off at an event late last year (one which I wasn't attending), and that I would be sent a letter to let me know how much was raised. This seemed nice to me, so I said my thanks, and handed the bear over.

Unfortunately, I never heard anything more, and for all I know, the bear might well have been thrown in the trash after that.

I haven't sewn anything since, although lately I've been trying to get myself to finish the super-obscure project that I mentioned at the end of this project's thread last September. Hopefully that will get me back to sewing things again.

Anyway, I hope everyone else appreciates the bear, even though it seemed that the charity he was donated to did not.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
marcymallow
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011 07:56:30 PM »

omg, that bear is beautiful, and I'm sure it ended up with someone who loves it, it is such a fabulous bear at such and at such a large scale, you did a great job   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Buttercup13
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011 12:34:22 AM »

awwwe I bet some littel girl begged for him!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*+*Buttercup13*+*
Eversweet
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011 11:51:46 AM »

he looks very well put together.  good job
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love to doodle....love it!
gotgrey
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

You are, which ever beast you choose to feed

Right and wrong are just words, it's what you do

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011 09:24:35 AM »

I think he turned out well. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011 08:24:52 AM »

He is so beautiful and cuddly.  I can't understand why anyone wouldn't be enthusiastic about getting him - although I believe some followers of Islam don't like dolls and bears etc because they believe making anything in the likeness of a living creature is like making an idol.  I expect he did end up with someone who just adores him and no one has remembered to write and tell you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fledgling
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011 08:42:28 PM »

A cuddly fellow like him is probably someone's best friend by now. Smiley I can imagine a charity worker bringing him home for storage, and then a little boy or girl in the house snatching him up for fun climbing trees and reading House at Pooh Corner!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mega Crafter
Mega Man Maniac

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011 06:18:42 AM »

Thankyou, everyone.

I certainly hope that all of you are right. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Tire Tread Blanket Part 2/5
How to Crochet a Thick Square Blanket Part 2/2
How to Crochet a Tire Tread Blanket Part 5/5
How to Crochet a Star Shape Part 8/8
How to Crochet a Striped Blanket Method 1
Latest Blog Articles
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...