A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,772
Currently Running With Scissors:
588 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A big teddy bear that I made for charity (Includes four pictures)  (Read 757 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
Mega Crafter
Mega Man Maniac

View Profile
« on: July 20, 2011 07:39:19 PM »

Every so often, I make something for fund-raising, including teddy bears. I made this one about a year ago.

This guy is the third bear I've made, and as you can see, he's quite a contrast to the first bear I ever made (the second one was an experiment with a different pattern, and with working with joints further than I had before that point, and I haven't posted him because he didn't come out very well at all). Even though this bear was made from a slightly modified version of the same pattern as the first, he came out a LOT bigger, because I used different fabrics and construction techniques - he was easily about two or three feet tall, and very big and huggable. His photos are below;

There's also a bit of a sad tale behind him.

Basically, when donated (which was at a charity event where attendance was poor), he seemed to me to be a little bit gruffly-received, but nonetheless I was told that since attendance that day hadn't been good, he would be raffled off at an event late last year (one which I wasn't attending), and that I would be sent a letter to let me know how much was raised. This seemed nice to me, so I said my thanks, and handed the bear over.

Unfortunately, I never heard anything more, and for all I know, the bear might well have been thrown in the trash after that.

I haven't sewn anything since, although lately I've been trying to get myself to finish the super-obscure project that I mentioned at the end of this project's thread last September. Hopefully that will get me back to sewing things again.

Anyway, I hope everyone else appreciates the bear, even though it seemed that the charity he was donated to did not.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011 07:56:30 PM »

omg, that bear is beautiful, and I'm sure it ended up with someone who loves it, it is such a fabulous bear at such and at such a large scale, you did a great job   Grin
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011 12:34:22 AM »

awwwe I bet some littel girl begged for him!

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011 11:51:46 AM »

he looks very well put together.  good job

I love to doodle....love it!
You are, which ever beast you choose to feed

Right and wrong are just words, it's what you do

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011 09:24:35 AM »

I think he turned out well. 
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011 08:24:52 AM »

He is so beautiful and cuddly.  I can't understand why anyone wouldn't be enthusiastic about getting him - although I believe some followers of Islam don't like dolls and bears etc because they believe making anything in the likeness of a living creature is like making an idol.  I expect he did end up with someone who just adores him and no one has remembered to write and tell you.
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011 08:42:28 PM »

A cuddly fellow like him is probably someone's best friend by now. Smiley I can imagine a charity worker bringing him home for storage, and then a little boy or girl in the house snatching him up for fun climbing trees and reading House at Pooh Corner!
Mega Crafter
Mega Man Maniac

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011 06:18:42 AM »

Thankyou, everyone.

I certainly hope that all of you are right. Smiley
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Halloween Pumkpin Tootsie Pop Display
DIY Project: Painted Umbrellas
How to Make a Creative Wedding Seating Plan
How to Make Your Own One-of-a-Kind Stuffed Animal
How to Make Balloon Pumpkins
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kitty Coasters
@Home This Weekend: Rustic Wreath
November 25, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...