A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,582
Currently Running With Scissors:
539 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Beginner here!  (Read 1604 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

iBritt
« on: August 14, 2008 10:25:42 PM »

Okay, so I just became interested in crafts, and I've already made a duct tape wallet, and this weekend, I considered tackling a duct tape messenger bag.

But I want to make other types of bags as well, involving cloth and fabric.  I have no sewing skills...whatsoever .  I'm willing to learn! As soon as I find a cheap sewing machine.

Any tips?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dsam4701
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008 04:22:03 PM »

First of all, welcome to the wonderful world of crafting.

That being said, I would suggest using a pattern as a means to learning how to make a fabric bag. I say this because a pattern can teach you the proper order in which to assemble a bag and it tells you exactly what materials you need to make the bag.

After you get the hang of putting bags together it will be easier for you to make patterns for your own bags.

Good Luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
groooovy
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008 05:57:02 PM »

Yes, Welcome!  Cheesy
I agree with DSam, start with a simple type pattern and learn.  You'll learn tons very quickly.
Don't be in a hurry, practice on cheap fabric.
Hope you find a good machine soon.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hat-and-bag-lady

Too lazy 2 work, too honest 2 steal, jst rt to sew

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010 09:36:52 PM »

Hello and welcome to Craftster.

A place to look for a Sewing Machine might be auctions/Yard Sales.  If patterns, cloth or quilting materials is listed, drop by; it might have a sewing machine. (Try not to get carried away; it's easy to do at yard sales/auctions)

Simplictiy Sewing Patterns has a line out called "Sewing for Dummies" patterns. Very useful for new sewers.

There are also terrific Sewing Books out there. "Sewing for Dummies" is available by Jan Somebody-or-the-other. Very useful.  Also, as you have found Craftster, there are other useful sewing websites on Cyberspace. (IE "Pattern Review")

Good luck with learning sewing and finding a sewing machine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A.T. Morel
Idle Hands
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010 10:02:44 PM »

If you're looking to start with making bags, I'm having fun with the projects in the "Sew What! Bags" by Lexie Barnes.  She goes over the basics of sewing in the first two chapters and has many patterns to try with 3 different skill levels.  If I wanted to spend half a day trying to figure out how to construct a particular bag I could, but her book makes it much easier.  The projects range from the super newbie to some more involved projects with lots of pockets and parts.

As for the sewing machine, I'd recommend going to a sewing repair shop and seeing what they have for used machines.  Many times they have machines than a brand new cheap plastic junk machine.  Depending on the shop they may also offer a free sewing class with the purchase of a machine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What would you get if you crossed a goat and a sheep?
An animal that eats tin cans and gives back steel wool.
soorawn
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010 03:56:25 AM »

There are some very good tutorials here in this section, with step-by-step instructions and pictures.  Start with a make-up bag, they're quite simple and rewarding, and read the tips that run around.  And I warn you... making bags is addictive! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects for 2011:  15/50
hat-and-bag-lady

Too lazy 2 work, too honest 2 steal, jst rt to sew

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011 04:44:32 PM »

There are some very good tutorials here in this section, with step-by-step instructions and pictures.  Start with a make-up bag, they're quite simple and rewarding, and read the tips that run around.  And I warn you... making bags is addictive! Grin

Y-e-a-h: I'm afraid I agree 100%. Making bags is addictive. (I ... hide some of the bags I make, otherwise, my DH might ask why I have so-o-o-o many. Then, later on, I find them again, and it's like ... Christmas! "I forgot I even made that one...")

I think it's because Bags aren't difficult to make, they can be personalized, they don't need any fitting, they can be made out of any kind of material (Canvas to Silk), and they look great (even with errors you might have made on them)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A.T. Morel
armywife116
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011 06:50:05 AM »

i'm new to the sewing thing too.

my suggestion: go for a basic sewing machine, not too many bells and whistles, just enough so you can learn the ropes. i bought a singer simple 3116 and it's perfect for learning. then make sure you watch the instructional dvd that usually comes with new machines if you end up buying one or scope out youtube.

there's a wealth of information online

best of luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BriShae

"hold on, a change may be just around the corner."

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011 08:49:58 PM »

For starters, A cheap sewing machine, do your research and find a good one for cheap on ebay. they can be in good condition and work really good!

Just experiment and do what you think will work. ive done it before and some of my sewing crafts came out really good!

BELIEVE IN YOURSELF!! Grin Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Set Up a Standard Loom for Weaving
How to Prepare a Spinning Wheel for Yarn Making
How to Set Up an Old Fashioned Loom
How to Spin Yarn Using a Drop Spindle
Spinning Flax Fiber Into Linen
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...