A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,695
Currently Running With Scissors:
621 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Corseted Vest?  (Read 352 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

JohnathanD
« on: August 01, 2011 11:36:42 PM »

Hi, this is my first post (even though I have had an account for a while.) I am basically a n00b when it comes to sewing, but i have made a few things and know some basic information. Normally, I would just jump straight into working on a project, but when it comes to corsets, I am cautious enough to gather some information. I have made a corset before, and I a kinda proud of it (I was a finalist in the SCAD Fashion Challenge with it, and this is the photo they took)
http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/248861_01Aug11_206634_206760102680948_159587220731570_725378_6802121_n.jpg
Anyway, I have a couple corset patterns, although they are mostly just decorative and not particularly functional. My question (after all this ranting) is this; How would I modify a formal vest pattern to have a corseted back? I was considering making the button area (not sure if there's a name for that) fake, but I also want a really large lapel. Is there a way I can do this while still having it able to lace snugly and not deform the vest?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
klnelson11
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011 09:00:52 AM »

most corsets, and esp good-looking corsets are heavy duty.  a vest is not.  if you just want the lace-up back, simply stabilize the back panel with flatlining--a heavy cotton or such, and add some boning around the grommets as you would a corset.  now, if you want this to be form-fitting be prepared to do lots of fitting and to use a heavier fabric at least for the lining.  some featherlight boning would be easy to add at strategic points in the vest-side seams and near the buttons, whether they are functional or not.  Featherlight isn't for tight-lacing!  but its easy to disguise in a fashion corset so you don't lose your lines.  there are some good images if you google corset vest to help you develop your pattern
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JohnathanD
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011 09:29:20 AM »

Cool, I was planning on using featherlite (I got it for like a quarter a yard, needles to say I bought the whole box) so I knew it wouldn't be a very functional corset, I just want it to be form fitting, not form changing. My main concern is that the lacing would pull the lapels open
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MistressMagpie
Nimble-Fingered Non-Starter

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011 02:29:14 PM »

Even if you don't want to do any serious lacing, you'll still want boning and a fairly stout fabric base. I'd recommend working from a corset pattern instead of a vest pattern. A corset pattern will give you a design that won't warp when under tension, unlike a vest, which is usually somewhat loose-fitting and will get all sorts of strange when you try to give it a full lacing. Do a mockup of the pattern to get the degree of snugness you want around the body, then draft shoulders and lapels off of the corset's pattern. In the end, you'll end up with two layers of fabric-- a corset, with lacing and front busk, connected to a fitted vest, with real front buttons and lacing up the back. The two layers would be joined at the center back, and share the same grommets and lacing, but the fabric layers would be separate, so the 'vest' can lay smoothly, with flat buttons and the slightest bit of ease, while the corset gives the needed support.

You could also do something like this: http://www.damseldress.com/store/display/2074/43/corsair  Front lacing with a solid back, instead of busk + back lacing. It looks less like an actual vest that the idea I posted above, but it's a lot simpler. You wouldn't have to fool around with getting the center back of the collar to work with your lacing panel, and there would  be about half as many layers of fabric to deal with.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Recognize Value and Temperature of Color When Brush Mixing
How to Brush Mix
How to Brush Mix Leaf Colors
Owl Painting - Watercolor Wildlife Art in Miniature
How to Draw Star Wars-Clone Wars: Count Dooku
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...