A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 299,130
Currently Running With Scissors:
575 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Alice in Wonderland Mushroom chair  (Read 1486 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sallymayhomer
Happiness by Hand

View Profile
« on: July 20, 2011 12:13:40 PM »

I wanted to post this in the recycle section but couldn't find the right place, but since I made it for my son I put it here... I used reminants from a thrift store and plastic bags I've been hoarding and voila. Super comfy.

ok so a lil something about how I made it now that I have a moment to do so. I got three pieces of fabric from a thrift store, one with polka dots for the top and one with stripes for the underside and a vinyl gator skin looking tan piece for the base. When I bought them they were in a bag so I got lucky they worked together.

The base piece was 55" long (it's about 14-16" high) so I just folded it right sides together and sewed along the edge to make it a circle shape. (If you haven't noticed yet, you'll notice soon, I did this gangsta instead of by the book). I took a big bag full of my smaller plastic bags and placed it inside the circle/base to give it shape and see how big it would be. Looked like this from the top.

I then took the top piece (blue with white polka dots) and layed it on the floor wrong side up. I placed the base on it to see how it measured up (it fit with plenty of room, which is what you want since the mushroom head needs to be bigger than the base...naturally) then removed it. The top piece was, let me think... 40" square and I took a pencil (cuz it was there) and drew lines(on the wrong side) to find my center at the 20" marks and in doing so there was a big penciled cross and the middle intersect is the center point, this is not usually necessary but you'll see why I did it in a sec.

I tied one end of a piece of embroidery thread to a thumb tack and tied the other end to my pencil making sure the distance between the 2 was 20". I then took the thumb tack and pushed it into the center mark and made a circle by pulling my pencil all the way around. I then cut the circle.

Here's the real gangsta part. I had my top piece still on the floor but flipped it right side up then I took my middle piece which I really don't know the size of, it had to be at least 50" square, but it didn't matter. I couldn't just make a circle and cut out the piece like a doughnut since the stripes HAVE to all come from the center. So I placed the base back on to see how much I needed to cover and then cut strips aprox. 12" x 4" (right side down)and placed them along the edge ..oo I think I have pic of this too... there was definite overlapping in the center. I do..here it is.

I pinned the pieces at the edges, how do I explain this, I wanted it to be like one big piece so I folded the edges in and pinned at the base so I could cut off the excess once I sewed it. Hope you get it. so I pinned them all together and sewed the "doughnut". Then I placed it right side down again and put the base on top and centered it and took the mighty pencil again and traced around the base. Took the base off again and trimmed the middle cirlce leaving about a half inch so I could attach it to the base.

Crap I forgot this part was tricky too. Once you wrap your mind around it, it makes sense but if you're like me..well, I sat on the floor looking like Pooh pondering for a good 20 min. before I went ahead with the next step. I'd rather take time to do it right than take extra time to do it over (which still happens anyways on occasion).

So I now pin the top to the middle along the outter edge (right sides together) and sew.

I then took the base, removed the bags, flipped it inside out..wait crap I have to pull a Pooh again...think..think..think... ok here's my process.. if you take the base inside out and pin the base of the base(as you look at it NOW not how it will look later) to the center, it would be a big pain in the booty to sew. So instead:

you take the base (at this point I flipped it back to right side out)place it inside the circle opening of the middle piece, pull up the middle and pin the center of the middle along the TOP edge of the base and sew them together.

THEN you flip the whole thing right side out and stuff it. BAM! ...whew, that took almost as long to explain as it did to make. Hope it helps. -Sally
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011 01:58:07 PM by sallymayhomer » THIS ROCKS   Logged

We should all fear evil men, but what we should fear most, is the indifference of good men. On a lighter note..have you smiled today? If you have not, Just DO IT! If you have..do it again!
fiddlegirl8
Sew, Sew Happy!!

Are you going to throw that away?! Can I have it?!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011 12:29:10 PM »

WOW - your mushroom is so cool!!  How did you make that base?  You are a fabulous mom - this is just so cool!  THIS ROCKS for sure!  Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Oh, give me a home where the buffalo roam...  (Kansas State Song)
gotgrey
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

You are, which ever beast you choose to feed

Right and wrong are just words, it's what you do

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011 01:57:55 PM »

I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ivablu1
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011 01:55:58 PM »

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!
This is awesome!! You could even make a gian one and have it as a bed!!
Love this mushy!!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If somebody offers you a lifetime supply of candy and there is only one piece; dont eat it, its probably poisoned.

I like to name my ipod "titanic" so when it says "syncing titanic" i click cancel, and it makes me feel like a hero:)
lilusa
What?

Beep Boop

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011 09:22:28 PM »

OMG I want to make it.  How did you do it!!!?Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Available for Private Swaps (including ATCs)

Gallery of my crafts: http://smg.photobucket.com/user/lilusa/library/Crafts%20and%20such
I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011 05:25:54 AM »

What a cool thing to sit on & what a lucky boy! It looks great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Making Jewelry with Carolyn McManus
How to Dye Wood Bangle Bracelets
How to Make Your Own Jewelry
How to Make Shrink Plastic Jewelry and Accessories
How to Make a Wrapped Loop - Bead Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...