A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,112
Currently Running With Scissors:
701 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Scrappy cat bed  (Read 965 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

warheart

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock!

View Profile
« on: July 26, 2011 04:05:41 PM »

My cat Bee likes to knead everything I that crochet so I decided to make her a bed with my scraps from other projects. I had made a blanket for a baby girl recently so I had pink and purple leftover. I also threw in some black. The other side of the bed is white and dark purple, scraps from a hat & scarf set that I made as a Christmas gift.

I totally made this bed up in my head and then pieced it together as I went. Every crochet pattern I have found for a cat bed is just a crochet circle with no fluff for the cat to lay on. I wanted something filled with stuffing.  I started off by making this Simple Round Pillow almost to a T but I only did 11 rows because I ran out of yarn, and at the last step I sc'd the 2 pieces together right sides facing outwards so that I would have a ridge of stitches going around where the pillow was joined and I could attach the other part of the bed to this. I also just stuffed the pillow with polyfill instead of using a pillow form like the pattern suggests. To make the sides I did this:

Ch 120. Sc in each across, ch 2, turn. Hdc in ea across for however many rows you want depending how tall you want the sides of the bed to be. I did 16 rows of hdc, half in black and half in dark purple. I folded this scarf-like piece of fabric in half, sewed up the long edge, stuffed as much as I could with polyfill, then sewed the 2 ends together to make 1 big donut looking piece. Then I sewed this onto the ridges I created when sc'ing the 2 pieces of the Simple Round Pillow together.

Bee loves it and when one side gets full of fur I can flip it over to show the other side. Wink This bed was a great way to use up my scraps but I would really like to make a nice solid color bed with this pattern in the future. I think it would look a lot neater and more like a store bought bed in just 1 color. Red heart cheap yarn for the win! Wal-mart here I come!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yarn is my craft drug of choice
Maria Merlino
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

An Invitation to You to Explore My Work

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011 05:47:01 PM »

Thanks so much for sharing what you did! Your kitty action shots are great!

Maria
THIS ROCKS   Logged

warheart

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011 10:47:35 AM »

Thanks! Sorry it's not a concise pattern but it worked so that's what matters I guess  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yarn is my craft drug of choice
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Krusty the Clown - 12th Drawing
How to Draw Bart Simpson - Full body - 38th Drawing
How to Draw Duffman - 21st Drawing
How to Draw Otto Mann - 29th Drawing
How to Draw Disco Stu - 43rd Drawing
Latest Blog Articles
Eggs? Eggzactly!
Meatless Monday: Kale Yeah!
@Home This Weekend: Lamp Transformation

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...