A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 299,185
Currently Running With Scissors:
630 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Delicate chocolate butterfly cupcakes!  (Read 1030 times)
Tags for this thread: chocolate , cupcake  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Sisteroo
« on: July 20, 2011 11:04:54 AM »

It's Summer cupcake time! And nothing says "Summer!" like frolicking in the flower fields with glistening chocolate butterflies. And dragonflies, apparently.* (*I must admit that in my wee, addled brain, dragonflies fall very clearly into the "nasty, horrifying winged bug" category, and were a generous concession to the man in my life who simply could not bring himself to eat pink chocolate butterfly cupcakes. Were I to spot a dragonfly in any other context, say, in nature, I am quite sure I would run weeping for the house.)
I've been meaning to make these charming cupcakes for some time now because (1) they look like something Martha Stewart would serve at a summertime, starched-white-linen tea party, (2) they involve chocolate (nay, melted chocolate), and (3) they're ridiculously easy to make. No, really! Ridiculously easy instructions below:

1. Whip up a simple chocolate cupcake batter: mix 1 1/2 c flour, 1 c sugar, 1 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp salt, 1/3 c cocoa powder, 1/2 c vegetable oil, 1 c water, 1 tsp vinegar, and 1 TB dry instant chocolate pudding.
2. Pour into cute cupcake molds, bake at 350 until a toothpick comes out mostly clean.
3. While the cupcakes are baking, grab a ziploc bag, fill 1/3 full with your favorite melting chocolate (I used Wilton's baking chips. Regular chocolate chips also work. Choose your poison.) and microwave on medium for 1-2 minutes, stopping every 30 seconds to knead the bag. Don't overheat the chocolate! Snip a tiny corner off the edge of the bag.
4. Fold a piece of wax paper down the middle and tape over a butterfly or dragonfly picture, with the wax paper fold sitting directly on top of the butterfly/dragonfly body. You can find good outlines at http://www.free-printable-coloring-pages.net/butterfly-coloring-pages.html. Gently trace the butterfly or dragonfly with your chocolate bag, starting by tracing the body so that it sits directly on the folded wax paper line.
5. Quickly pop your wet butterfly/dragonfly in the fridge onto a folded piece of cardstock. The folded line in the wax paper should sit directly in the center of the folded cardstock so the butterfly/dragonfly wings are pointed upwards in a "V" shape.
6. While the butterflies/dragonflies are cooling, frost your cupcakes. Gently peel butterfly/dragonfly from wax paper and set on cupcake.

Voila! Gorgeous butterfly cupcakes and "so cute they almost aren't horrifying" dragonfly cupcakes.

For full post  http://www.sisteroo.com/2011/06/spring-cupcakes-chocolate-butterflies.html
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011 12:55:42 PM by MareMare - Reason: to reveal image and comply with Craftster rules » THIS ROCKS   Logged
sonicsink
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011 02:57:29 PM »

Those are great! I'll be doing a butterfly cake on Friday with a few 3D chocolate butterflies. I hope mine turn out as well as yours!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Optimize the Panasonic G1/GH1 for Fireworks Scenes
How to Optimize the Panasonic G1/GH1 for Dusk or Dawn Scenes
How to Optimize the Panasonic G1/GH1 for Copy Pictures
How to Optimize the Panasonic G1/GH1 for Beach or Snow Scenes
How to Optimize the Panasonic G1/GH1 for Backlight Scenes
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...