A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,611
Currently Running With Scissors:
591 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Amazing Accidental Color-Changing Soup  (Read 870 times)
Tags for this thread: recipe , soup , beet  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Evie Lynn
« on: July 20, 2011 08:06:46 AM »

This was a beet soup recipe we heavily altered from a low-fat cookbook.  They wanted all the steps done in the microwave, which wouldn’t have been nearly as fun.  It thankfully used up a bowl of leftover cooked beets and turned out pretty tasty.

The funny part was that this soup was purple (you know what color beets are – this was vivid beet purple) until we added the (not in recipe) can of black beans and left it to simmer. An hour later we came back to find the soup had turned a beautiful raspberry color (results not guaranteed).  It was very mysterious, but it was either the simmering, the potatoes or the black beans that did it.  Your guess is as good as mine.

Leftover Beet Soup
1 large onion, chopped
2-3 potatoes, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
2 cups water
1 tsp ground cumin
2 cups cooked beets, diced
1 bay leaf
1 tsp lemon juice
A pinch of thyme
2 cups stock (vegetable) - subbed vegetable builion substitute and two cups water
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed

Heat onion, potato, olive oil and water until water boils, then lower to a simmer.  Wait until potatoes are cooked, then add the rest of the ingredients minus the black beans.  Cook ten minutes then add beans.  Serve whenever everything seems cooked (eh, soups I just play by ear).  Remove the bay leaf.  We waited 1 1/2 hours with it on low because dinner was ready too early, but it was done long before then.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alykins

lurking around every corner

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011 08:49:52 AM »

Hehe, funny that you say 'raspberry' colored because when I saw the thumbnail I was totally expecting a raspberry dish!  Cheesy

Looks yummy! My guess would be the potatoes had to do with the color change. Perhaps they absorbed some of the purple beet color? Either way, I've bookmarked this for a future lunch :]
THIS ROCKS   Logged
EerieNoodles
I may not be perfect, but I'm so close it's almost eerie.

Trust Life!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011 08:57:43 AM »

I thought it looked like some sort of strawberry/raspberry compote thingy too.
I've always wanted to try beet soup, maybe this will be the one since there's the possibility of a magic color change.

Thanks for including the recipe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011 01:19:37 PM »

It's the lemon that changed the colour. the colour in beets comes from Flavanoids called Anthrocyanins. these are amazing little natural chemicals which have an uncanny knack of changing colour like Litmus paper.

add acid and it goes pinkish. add alkali and it will go vivid green. try it if you have leftovers! add some bicarbonate of soda for fun!

this also works with blackcurrant, redcabbage, blackberries etc. fun for kids too, and nicely scientific!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Goomba
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011 07:49:08 AM »

It's the lemon that changed the colour. the colour in beets comes from Flavanoids called Anthrocyanins. these are amazing little natural chemicals which have an uncanny knack of changing colour like Litmus paper.

add acid and it goes pinkish. add alkali and it will go vivid green. try it if you have leftovers! add some bicarbonate of soda for fun!

this also works with blackcurrant, redcabbage, blackberries etc. fun for kids too, and nicely scientific!

I think I love you.
took the science right out of my mouth
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
6 Must-Know Makeup Trends and Tips For Spring
How to Do Eye Makeup for a Night Out
Rainbow Nails Tutorial with Madeline Poole
Work a Smoky Eye Without Making Your Eyes Look Smaller
How to Change Your Hair from Day to Night Look
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...