A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,631
Currently Running With Scissors:
575 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cristaria lace shrug-- Free tutorial & pattern!  (Read 5928 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , pattern , shrug , lace  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sunshineravioli

Loves and Snuggles!

View Profile WWW
« on: July 18, 2011 05:19:37 PM »

Named for a pearl mussel that produces freshwater pearls, the Cristaria shrug is a quick, pretty knit shrug that complements formal summer ensembles or casual looks alike. Add beads or pearls for a piece that is truly your own!

Materials:

• 100 g Cascade Ultra Pima or similar
  • US 10 circular needles, 20˝ or longer
  • About 25 freshwater pearls (optional)
  • About 25 head pins (optional)

Stitch abbreviations:

• yo yarn over
  • k2tog knit 2 stitches together

Directions & Hints:

Cast on 108 stitches, leaving at least a 12˝ tail. This will seem longer than it needs to be, but dont fret! Take a look at the picture to the right. Imagine taking your straight cast-on edge & bending it into the wavy bottom edge of the shrug. Thats why your finished piece wont be anywhere near as wide as it seems now.

• Row 1: knit across
  • Row 2: purl across

Here comes the exciting part: the lace row. This sequence of increases & decreases is what turns a fairly ordinary stitch pattern into something visually interesting (and, in this case, wavy!). During each repeat, you are going to decrease a total of 6 times (the k2tog stitches) and increase a total of 6 times (the yarn overs). So, even though youre subtracting stitches in some places & adding them in others, your total stitch count at the end of each row should always be the same (108, to be precise).

• Row 3: k2tog 3 times, *k1, yo* 6 times, k2tog 3 times. Place stitch marker. Repeat across row 5 more times.

Phew! Take a step back & congratulate yourself you just finished the tricky part & I bet it looks like a rats nest, doesnt it? Just remember: youre taking a wavy row & straightening it out onto your needle, so it really should look a bit confused.

• Row 4: knit across

And thats really all there is to it! Youll repeat those 4 rows about 14 more times, depending on how big around youd like your armholes. To finish, bind off & break yarn, leaving at least a 12˝ tail.

Diving in Deeper:

The lace row sure does have a lot of counting wouldnt it be a lot easier to use more markers?

A tempting proposition, no? Normally, I prefer to use markers like big red flags to remind me when its time to change stitches. In this pattern, though, the markers are smack dab in the middle of a bunch of k2togs! There is method to my madness (well, this time, at least). This is an atypical lace pattern in that the increases are all bundled together & the decreases are all bundled together. A more regular (rectangular) pattern usually peppers them across the row in pairs. Because of this, if you plunk down markers willy-nilly, they will actually migrate across the row & mess you up! So, the short answer is that markers are only useful to a point on this pattern. Think of them more as error correction tools if you end up with anything other than 18 stitches between markers, you know something has gone wrong in that section.

The short answer? That didnt seem very short at all. Out of morbid curiosity, what was the long answer?

Plate tectonics!

Excuse me?

No, really! The stitch markers show you the center of a double-sided stitch subduction zone basically a stitch gobbler. Its like the stitch markers are hovering over very aggressive black holes that pull stitches in & make them disappear. Conversely, in the middle of each increase section (right after the 3rd yarn over, to be precise) is a mid-ocean ridge of stitches a place where new stitches bubble up to the surface & spread out. If you placed a stitch marker at each of these spots,  you could imagine them hovering over tiny stitch factories, creating new stitches & pumping them outward. The whole row would look something like this:

Which, to me, looks a whole lot like this:

Wow, this is really getting out of hand. Anything else youve been dying to get off your chest?

Well, since you asked The idea for how & where to use stitch markers (as a way to catch & isolate mistakes instead of to tell you when to change stitches) came from the mathematical basis for error-correcting code. Also, the function y(x) = 2.5 cos (2π x/13), with x & y in centimeters, describes each row of this pattern. Whee!

Finishing:

String a single freshwater pearl onto each of about 25 head pins. Trim pin ends & bend into loops. Attach pins at the bottom of the soft U-shaped rows of the center 3 columns of stitches (see picture), or use whatever arrangement strikes your fancy.

Use reserved yarn tails to attach corners of finished piece to create armholes. Weave in ends & trim.

Now throw it over a sundress & go put Audrey Hepburn to shame.

Ready to turn your screen off & start knitting? Visit my shop's blog for printable PDF versions of this tutorial & even a bare-bones pattern if you're sick of my rambling! Smiley
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011 05:51:24 PM by sunshineravioli - Reason: Forgot the optional beading materials... oops! » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Indecisive Monkey

Dragon Slayer Sam - Killer of Beasts

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011 05:57:06 PM »

This is SOOO GORGEOUS!!!! Thank you so much for the tutorial!! I think I will definitely try to make this once my current knitting project is finished with.

Also, I loved the stich markers explanation, expecially about the mathematical modelling. Speaking of - did you know that crochet is the only physical way to replicate hyperbolic space? Oooh yeaah Wink If you're interested (and I bet you are!) there is an article about it here: http://theiff.org/lectures/05a.html

Yay for mathy crafting!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sunshineravioli

Loves and Snuggles!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011 06:22:18 PM »

Also, I loved the stich markers explanation, expecially about the mathematical modelling. Speaking of - did you know that crochet is the only physical way to replicate hyperbolic space? Oooh yeaah Wink If you're interested (and I bet you are!) there is an article about it here: http://theiff.org/lectures/05a.html

Yay for mathy crafting!!

Yay indeed! Can you tell my math/science nerd impulses have been a little pent up lately?

Thanks for the hyperbolic crochet link-- it is seriously my dream to teach a class examining the math underlying fiber crafts (and, of course, the unique ways that fiber crafts can help us visualize mathematical abstracts!). Really glad you enjoyed!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Indecisive Monkey

Dragon Slayer Sam - Killer of Beasts

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011 04:19:10 AM »

Yay indeed! Can you tell my math/science nerd impulses have been a little pent up lately?

Thanks for the hyperbolic crochet link-- it is seriously my dream to teach a class examining the math underlying fiber crafts (and, of course, the unique ways that fiber crafts can help us visualize mathematical abstracts!). Really glad you enjoyed!

Really?? That sounds like the coolest class EVER. This summer at my university there was supposed to be an undergrad lecture series on knot theory, and I was so excited cause I was thinking of taking it and applying it to my work (therefore getting time off to take it) but also to see if I could apply it to some super fun knitting/crochet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Iconocraft
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011 09:24:01 AM »

That's a lovely little shrug! Very nice tutorial too, wish I knew how to knit so I could try my hand at it. c:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You can call me Squid.
---
Blog: http://iconocraft.blog.com/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/ClockworkSquid
striker923

Rogues do it from behind

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011 12:41:34 PM »

Wonderful tutorial! Thanks for sharing!

P.S. You look gorgeous in the shrug! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bastetblue
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011 07:18:45 PM »

Beautiful shrug! I love your stitch marker explanation, and the graphics you provided made me laugh. Now whenever I think of subduction zones, I'll think of Pacman.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a fairy in possession of a good appetite must be in want of pie.''

My wist: http://wists.com/bastetblue
sunshineravioli

Loves and Snuggles!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011 08:02:33 AM »

Now whenever I think of subduction zones, I'll think of Pacman.  Cheesy

Yep... if you listen very closely at coastal mountain ranges, you'll hear a very faint "Wakka wakka wakka wakka..." Wink

P.S. You look gorgeous in the shrug! Grin

You are so sweet, thank you! Mr. sunshineravioli is a photographer & graphic designer, so credit to him for making my goofy faces look respectable Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
relic
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013 04:45:11 AM »

This is very pretty and looks lovely on, very summery Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Choose Sable Brushes
Oil Pallet Knives for Beginners
How to Oil Paint Shadows
How to Oil Paint Part 3/3
How to Oil Paint Part 1/3
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...