A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 304,754
Currently Running With Scissors:
788 Guests and 39 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutorial: Diaper Bag with Elastic Pocket  (Read 142445 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kokoleo
« on: June 08, 2005 03:22:35 PM »

A few people asked for an elastic pocket tutorial when I posted my last diaper bag. I tried to explain how to do it in words but it got confusing so I decided to make another diaper bag and take pictures along the way.

First off, here's where I got my material and here's what I turned it into:

And here are the pieces you'll need (the 2 inside pockets are not shown).

Here's the side pocket tutorial:

Stitch together the outside and lining fabrics, fold them back so the right sides are facing out, then stitch in 5/8 of and inch along the edge. See how much space you'll need for the elastic and make a channel. I sew it with the elastic inside (just don't sew over the elastic!). You can also make your channel and insert the elastic with a safety pin.

Lay  this on top of your side panel for your bag and stitch one side to the panel. make two folds at the bottom unitl the pocket fabric is the same width as the panel. Sew the bottom and other side of the pocket to the panel,  making sure your elastic isn't too loose that it hangs open or too tight that the panel buckles and you can't get your hand in the pocket.

Sew front, back, and side panels to the bottom of your bag, then stitch up the sides. Set aside and start on the lining.

Here's how I do an elastic gathered flat pocket:

Use a piece of fabric that's wider at the top. Make a channel for the elastic (like on the side pockets). Gather to your desired width and lay flat on the fabric to which you are adhering it. Fold in the sides and stitch down. You can leave the bottom open because that will be sewn to the bottom of the bag.

Stitch up the sides and combine with outer fabric. Add the strap, make an opening in the middle of one of your lining sides and pull through.

I also made a changing pad/play mat filled with batting that goes in the inside flat pocket.

Alrighty then, I hope that wasn't confusing. Forgive me if I'm not very good at tutorials. If you have any questions I'll be glad to answer them.

KB
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010 08:33:50 AM by rackycoo - Reason: to fix images » THIS ROCKS   Logged

PinkMafia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Let your sparkle shine...

Recovering swap addict

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005 03:49:19 PM »

Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty chica...burlesque performer....costume maven.
Cat-n-Caboodle
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2005 02:31:40 AM »

Thanks for posting this tutorial...I have a friend who just had a baby so may give it a try on my vacation
By the way...love the fabric in the bag you made
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sararosa
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2005 05:59:00 AM »

Thanks for the tutorial, that is great!

How could you bear to cut up that dress, though? It's beautiful, where did you get it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kokoleo
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2005 10:38:50 AM »

Thanks! I got the dress for $4 at a thrift store down the street. As soon as I saw it I thought, "Look at all that material!" I never even considered wearing it. There's still a lot left too. It's funny because the people at that store probably think I love their clothes. I just love to cut them up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WhimsyTyme
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2005 01:54:47 PM »

FABULOUS fabric!  I mean I am really Gah Gah over it!

I had no idea how much you could get out of one dress like that!  I WISH my thrift stores had such pretties!!!!

Thanks so very much for the tute! Kiss  I am going to try this and another bag and am so excited!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dia
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2005 09:18:52 AM »

thnks 4 the fabulous tutorial. the bag awesome. i was searching for elastic pocket n just came across ur tut. thnks a ton.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When you are feeling stressed and about to breakdown, just remember: STRESSED is just DESSERTS spelled backwards... Its a piece of cake!
Senobia

Now THERE'S an idea!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2005 09:23:30 AM »

How big is this bag?

I LURVE the fabric, but I like small diaper bags...thinkin of makin' a John Deere one. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If practice makes perfect, but nobody's perfect, why practice?
bexikins
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2005 06:51:06 AM »

wow now thats a relief, i thought by the name of the post, that it was gonna be a bag made out of a real life diaper
dont i just feel embrassed
i do love the bag though, i plan to make one i soon as i get some awesome material
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Madmatigan79

Back by popular demand...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2005 02:50:16 PM »

Thank you, Kokoleo, for the fantastic tutorial! I have been trying to figure out how to make the elastic pockets on the side of a tote bag but it just hasn't been working out for me. You make it look so simple!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Best False Lashes For Different Eye Shapes
Terrence J Gives VIBE Vixen Editor A Makeover
The Best Beauty Boosts For Fall
The Giraffe Bath & Body Shaving Wand: Does It Work?
October 2013 Beauty Products to Try
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...