A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,696
Currently Running With Scissors:
578 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Anthropologie Cirrus Bedding  (Read 1593 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

FunkyKristen

karaoke goddess :)

View Profile WWW
« on: July 18, 2011 02:46:29 PM »

Hello! Haven't seen a post for this so I thought I would ask. Smiley

I would love to make my own version of the Cirrus duvet cover from Anthropologie. It's made in a lightweight cotton jersey fabric and it has what looks like similarly-colored hem tape or trim across it. From my recollection, it was not stretchy where the trim was placed. 

Please let me know if the link below does not work.
http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=69300&catId=HOME-BEDDING-DUVETS&pushId=HOME-BEDDING-DUVETS&popId=HOME-BEDDING&navCount=18&color=gre&isProduct=true&fromCategoryPage=true&templateType=B1
(There wouldn't be so many copycat requests for items if their stuff wasn't so frakking expensive!  Grin)

Does anyone know of a good gathering foot I could attach to my Brother sewing machine? Does anyone have any good tips for gathering? I'm thinking it would be better to not do this by hand, if possible. I'm not too great at the basting stitch method, but this project would sure give me some practice!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011 02:53:54 PM by FunkyKristen » THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyMcCrafterson

art should not exist for the sake of itself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011 05:12:14 PM »

It doesn't say it's a jersey but it does say it's cotton. If you have your heart set on jersey...un set it and use a stable cotton Smiley Pick something that is soft and lovely and remember that it'll get softer with washing too.

You'll obviously need to start with an overall size that is maybe 3 times larger than the actual finished width to allow for shrinkage in all the gathering process. Mark the lines across the width so you have something to use as a guide when sewing the gathering lines. A foot for gathering would be helpful but I am not sure what your machine needs. I do mine with heavy thread so I don't have to worry about it snapping.

Make some bias tape to cover the lines and sew it down over the marks you made.

This is going to be a lot of work. It's a simple enough concept but simple can often times mean that all the errors will show because there is nothing to hide them. I suggest to start with a swatch...make a sham first so you can see what kind of commitment you're getting into lol trial and error on a small scale. You might love it, you might hate it...

Post your pics <3 Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://dianneofalltrades.blogspot.com/

Looking for dead pointe shoes.
FunkyKristen

karaoke goddess :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011 05:49:53 PM »

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. Smiley

The plillow sham/swatch idea is good. I'll definitely make use of that. I'll also hunt around for some nice cotton. You're right, the jersey knit (ie: stretch) doesn't sound like the best idea for me to be trying with this concept!

Thanks again. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

livininphilly

A Portion of the AIDS Quilt in Atl, GA

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011 02:40:56 PM »

Here is a link to a tutorial that I just randomly found!

http://go.tipjunkie.com/dc/780/www.madebylex.com/2010/11/anthropologie-cirrus-duvet-tutorial.html

I, too, will be embarking on a knock-off anthropologie bed set within the next week. Not this one but the rosette bedding made out of the jersey material:

http://knockoffdecor.com/rosette-bedding/

Good luck and post pics when you're done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Guided by my heritage of a love of beauty and a respect for strength - in search of my mother's garden, I found my own." ~ Alice Walker
monstergramma
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011 01:28:14 PM »

Target has something very similar for only about 70 bucks.  Probably can't make it for that.

http://www.target.com/Home-Ruched-Comforter-Set-Khaki/dp/B003KRFY3S/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&searchView=grid5&keywords=comforter&fromGsearch=true&sr=1-11&qid=1312489590&rh=&searchRank=target104545&id=Home%20Ruched%20Comforter%20Set%20Khaki&node=1038576%7C1287991011&searchSize=30&searchPage=1&searchNodeID=1038576%7C1287991011&searchBinNameList=subjectbin%2Cprice%2Ctarget_com_primary_color-bin%2Ctarget_com_size-bin%2Ctarget_com_brand-bin&frombrowse=0
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Teleport Effect in Sony Vegas
How to Get Media Ready - DVD Studio Pro
How to Make a Title Sequence - Final Cut Pro 6
How to Use Color Correction - Final Cut Pro
How to Create Glowing Streaks - Motion 3
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...