A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 299,128
Currently Running With Scissors:
590 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help! I have a "meat eater" hubby!  (Read 1582 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tuba_nae
« on: July 18, 2011 09:27:53 AM »

Help me!! My carnivorous husband eats very few veggies. He'll eat just about any potato, corn, green beans, and peas. That's it... and I've grown tired of the lack of variety and I feel silly making something that only I'll eat. Anyone know any good ways to fix these veggies? I'd love to try it!

Or even any other ideas you have!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
oz_lzrd
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011 08:03:19 PM »

Have you tried doing kabobs?  Its a good way to mix in a lot of different types of peppers and onion?  Or what about stuffed peppers?  Whether it is with a meat stuffing or with a cheese stuffing (my favorite) it can be a great main dish or a side.  And both have the plus of making easy non-meat versions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LMAshton
Kitchen Witch

Canada -> Sri Lanka -> New Zealand -> Singapore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011 10:42:35 PM »

Honestly? I'd keep making things he doesn't like that I do. That's what I do with my somewhat picky husband. He'll usually try everything at least once, and sometimes he surprises himself by liking something he thought he didn't like, so there's sometimes a win in there. But when he doesn't, he'll eat what I've made for him and I'll eat what I've made for me.

Edited to add:

Sometimes, it isn't that he doesn't like something. It's that he doesn't like how he's had it before. But if I prepare it in a new way, he'll try it, and sometimes he'll like it.

Like pumpkin. The husband doesn't like pumpkin. But he loves cumin & pepper pumpkin soup. He thought he hated cream cheese icing, but he loves it the way I make it. He hates eggplant, but likes it a certain Middle Eastern way. Sometimes, it's about making it in a new-for-him way and getting him to try it.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011 10:44:55 PM by LMAshton » THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011 07:12:18 AM »

Size can matter. Some folks just don't like big chunks of vegetables, and the ones who don't like the "taste" will taste more of what they don't like when there are big chunks of it. Chopping small and adding to a rice or potato side dish could help. If your guy likes spicy or saucy foods, there's no point serving plain, steamed veggies. Most veggie haters like corn and think it's a veggie, so adding a few bits of mushrooms, bell peppers and etc. to corn can help the veggies go down easier. Also, if you have kids, just remind hubby that he is teaching his kids to be picky eaters.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Selnith
Ruler of Geek

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011 09:27:48 AM »

i got my boyfriend eating a wider variety of veggies by simply mixing them into things i knew he'd like, for instance, you can stir fry pretty much anything, so i did, now he likes peppers and mange tout, which before he wouldn't go near
or soup, sometimes i'll make a big pan of veggie soup, add in some veg that he wouldn't normally eat, or isn't keen on, but by the time it's been blitzed he doesn't even know it's in there, Sweet potato and Red Pepper is a good one
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
Linnybelle
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011 11:20:17 AM »

My fiancee and I have a deal.  I love almost all veggies and he likes almost none.  However, the deal is that at my house, when I'm cooking, I will tell him what's in the dish and then he can decide for himself if he wants to eat it.  Most of the time he discovers that he's fine with the veggies in a sauce or very well seasoned, but doesn't like them fresh. 

Also, I don't make two things.  I make the one and if he doesn't want to eat it, he finds something else for himself.   This has saved us from a bunch of disagreements.  I will sometimes not make things with green beans in them, because I know he doesn't like them, but for the most part, he just picks it out if he doesn't like it.  Whatever you do, don't hide veggies from adults.  That doesn't lead to good things.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for postcards from anywhere to use for RSVP cards for my 8/2012 wedding.  Have 80/200.
dancedupapillon
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011 10:03:23 PM »

Stew, curries, and chili come to mind.  Stew's great because everything ends up tasting like the meat, but you can add all kinds of veggies.  Curries and chili are nice and spicy, which might put a spin on the tastes that he'll find he likes. Lasagna is another great veggie vehicle, thanks to cheese and tomato sauce. I'd also try cooking veggies in a variety of ways with different spices.  I used to HATE cooked carrots until I tried cooking them lightly, glazed with ginger ale and chili flakes.  I've since grown out of most of my food aversions  Grin 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jamais sans mes ciseaux.
mousee23

Not all Californians live near the beach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011 04:35:36 AM »

My mom hate zuccini(sp)? but I found if I sautee it in butter with squash then add it to spaghetti sauce she loves it.And fried bacon and/or cheese make almost everthing better. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is pain,Highness~Dred Pirate Roberts<br />My Chatterings http://mousee23.blogspot.com/<br />http://www.wists.com/mousee23/<br />http://pinterest.com/mousee23/
nachturnal
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012 05:30:19 AM »

Soups and stews?  Good ratatouille can have a huge variety of vegetables and you'd hardly know it.  Ditto vegetable lasagna.  Also, you could try fritters?  I like corn much more than my boyfriend does, but he'll tolerate it if it's in corn fritters with lots of batter and frying.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012 08:04:31 PM »

This recipe isn't very pretty, but I'm going to try it soon, sounds delicious! (It's a paleo version, which I'm not into, when I make it, it will be regular wheat flour and dairy milk). And even if he doesn't want to eat the zuchini boat with the topping, maybe he'll eat the sausage gravy over something else (mashed potatoes?) and there is at least some zuchini inside the gravy.

http://thehealthydynamicduo.wordpress.com/2012/01/22/zucchini-boat-goodness/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Ambient Art - Morisot
Ambient Art - Monet
Ambient Art - Manet
Ambient Art - Gauguin
Ambient Art - Degas
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...