A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,026
Currently Running With Scissors:
600 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bangle tutorial  (Read 44205 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , bangle , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

maxxev
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« on: July 18, 2011 09:08:28 AM »

every one asks how i make my bangles and i never remember to take shots when im working. until now  Grin

excuse the wobbly one handed photo Embarrasseds. the bangle changes colour half way through coss i working on two at once but the purple just happened to be finished first. if anything is unclear please dont hesitate to ask Smiley

step 1. you will need an extruder with a half circle disk and some scrap clay. extrude a length of the scrap clay.

step 2. you will need a heat proof object to wrap the scrap clay around to make an armature for your bangle. you could use a wide thick tube of card as i have or a food can/glass etc. wrap the extruded clay around the cardboard tube and smooth the ends together. to make this particular bangle you want an even wavy shape. in this photo im making several armatures. i stack them to ensure the finished bangles will fit together this enables me to make matched pairs. i smear a bit of corn flour on each to stop them sticking to each other.

step 3. bake the armature at the recommended temperature and time for the clay you are using.

step 4. roll a sheet of your chosen colour to cover the outside of the armature.

butt the ends together and smooth the join with your finger

begin to smooth the sheet around the armature.

Step 5. trim away the excuse with a tissue blade or sharp craft knife. i usually find it easier to roughly trim the worst off ......

.....then smooth a bit more and do a final trim.

step 6. bake the covered armature. i then sand to ensure the bangle is even and smooth. it will be difficult to sand completely once the inner strip is in place so its worth taking your time over and getting it as good as you can.

step 7. measure the inside of the bangle. you will need the strip of your inside colour to be this long (if the inner colour is a very thick strip you may find you need to trim a little off)
for my inner strip i made a cane of black and white sheets. i cut slices from this and laid them on a sheet of pink clay and cut a strip of this (use a ruler make sure its the same width the entire length of the strip)

step 8. join the two ends of the strip to make a circle and smooth the join with your fingers.

step 9. fit the inner strip to the bangle (this is why you need to be careful when measuring. if the strip is too large you will need to trim and the rejoin the strip.
make sure the inner strip and the outer part of the bangle are level

step 10. use your finger to gently curve the inner strip.

until you have something that looks like this...

bake and give the bangle a final sand and buff Smiley

enjoy! Smiley

« Last Edit: August 04, 2011 02:56:32 AM by maxxev » THIS ROCKS   Logged

kwality570
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011 09:26:54 AM »

Absolutely gorgeous!  Thank you for sharing with us!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

enchantedwhimsies
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011 09:49:47 AM »

that's really cool! thanks for sharing your technique, this kind of use for polymer clay is beyond me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hgddm

What a piece of work is man!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011 10:17:47 AM »

Awesome! I was wondering about these. Thanks Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

glitter_is_good
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011 12:30:57 PM »

wow! very cool looking Smiley  how do you manage to make those without getting finger prints everywhere?!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
N30Nb100d
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011 06:52:48 PM »

The things you do with clay are amazing. Thanks for sharing the great tutorial! Though I probably won't be making any bangles, it sure was interesting to see how they're done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Spoopy
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011 07:05:00 PM »

Thank you so much for this tute! I have been wanting to try and make a bangle out clay for awhile but was never sure how.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
maxxev
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011 09:10:00 PM »

thank you

wow! very cool looking Smiley  how do you manage to make those without getting finger prints everywhere?!

i find that when smoothing areas of the clay using a little corn flour on your hands to stop the clay sticking helps to reduce finger marks. i try to work in a cool (not cold) room. when it gets warm the clay becomes very pliable (particularly white and black in the fimo soft range) and sticks to everything making it hard to work with Undecided.
sanding the items will remove muck and finger marks giving a smooth and professional finish Smiley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011 06:46:53 AM »

Really excellent tutorial!... great topic, good photos, and clear explanations.  (I'm sure you could easily have sold it to Polymer Cafe magazine or others, so thanks for sharing with the rest of us.)

Of course, nice bracelet too  Grin

THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
LostInfinity
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011 04:23:43 PM »

I love them. You are very talented. Thanks for sharing the tutorial. Smiley I never worked with polymer clay, but I'll sure make one of these one day.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw a Piranha from the Movie Piranha 3DD
Off Book: The Evolution of Music Online
Off Book: Generative Art - Computers, Data, and Humanity
Off Book: Hacking Art and Culture With F.A.T. Lab
Off Book: The Evolution of 8-Bit Art
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...