A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,582
Currently Running With Scissors:
542 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I hate, hate, hate this dress (sing it with me, people!)  (Read 1119 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

candycanechild
Paper Doll

version 4.1: she's just so clinically cynically.

View Profile WWW
« on: June 08, 2005 03:09:28 PM »

This dress is so hideous. I might as well paper bag--it might be more form-fitting than this dress! I look like I weigh a million pounds when I wear it, and I look kind of snobish. It's something you'd wear to a country club (yeah, I've done that), funeral (guilty of this, too), or maybe a wedding (actually, two weddings). And I need something to wear to my friend's sweet 16 on Saturday, June 18. Yeah... a little over two weeks away. Can somebody please help me?

This picture was taken into a mirror, with another one at an angle behind me. So you get a back/side view, too. This picture would look better if there was no laundry behind me, the lack of a flash didn't discolor the whole thing, and I didn't look so huge.

Please excuse the clutter on my desk. Actually, it's really neat. My friends think I have OCD.

Bring on the ideas! I can sew by hand and with a machine... so don't rule out any options! Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010 11:48:52 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
chutes to narrow

i have to push the pram a lot...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005 03:17:59 PM »

Maybe you can buy some tulle(sp?) of your desired color and sew it underneath the skirt and sew on some appliques or something
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lilgothkatt
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2005 03:36:09 PM »

why don't you make some darts in the waist so it fits better. Maybe change the neckline? Add some color? Like a wide satin ribbon around the waist or something?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.Ibreedsockmonke ys.etsy.com

www.wists.com/lilgothkatt

I have a bunch of vintage linens for trade. Looking for neat halloween fabrics, day of the dead stuff, star wars stuff.
ubercraftygal

and i swear, in that moment, we were infinite.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2005 03:39:54 PM »

how about a combination of the two ideas that were already given!

you could find some cute colored tulle (maybe pink or green) and then find a wide satin ribbon to match it. tye your hair up with the ribbon too! no matter what, you'll look totally cute. it's all about the attitude! no worries :-D

-lauren-
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bagged_cereal
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2005 03:58:24 PM »

i agree, darts and the neckline should definitely be considered. you could hack off the neck and arm area all together to make the top a tube top, then sew another brighter contrasting colored shirt into it. (and cut off the rest of the shirt below where the dress would start so the dress is all one piece)

you'd need something with either capped sleeves or maybe 3/4 length sleeves so it doesn't look like you wore a tube dress over a bra. if you want to keep the look formal and not so random diy, sew a nicer white top into it, and wear a sheer white caplet or sweater over top.  Cheesy and to pull it all together (possibly creating more of a waist) tie a white bow under your boobs with a sheer ribbon just like the caplet. 

is that confusing enough? it's kind of hard to explain, especially being that it's just a 'vision' and i don't know how well that would work, if the dress would still be too loose around the waist, if it would look too mod etc.. my vocabulary is so limited today. bleeh Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

But for the sake of some little mouthful of flesh, we deprive a soul of the sun and light and of that proportion of life and time it had been born into the world to enjoy - Plutarch
slowgraffiti
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2005 04:25:34 PM »

I concur with the darts idea, or if you're lazy just tie the waist with a wide ribbon so its fitted.  My idea for the neckline is make it off the shoulder; it's hard to tell exactly what you already have to work with above the bust, but it seems large enough so that it could be cut and reshaped so it doesn't have those plain wide straps, AND if there's not enough material to redo it that way, why not choose a wide contrasting band of something bright or satiny and use that to make a band across the top of the bust and sides of the arms?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LRS
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2005 10:57:55 AM »

If you decide to improve the fit, try this:

Put the dress on inside out.  Then you can pin in princess darts, shape the side seams, maybe add front darts - whatever.  Then take if off carefully so you don't get stabbed with the pins.  Handbaste the changes and PRESS it.  Try it on, rightside out, and see if you've improved it. 

If you do add darts, there's an oppportunity for embellishment:  sew beads along the darts, or an embroidery stitch. 

Or - a really glam jacket or wrap would give it a completely new look.

LRS
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bags & purses:  Elaress.etsy.com
fabric bowls & boxes: ElaressAtHome.etsy. com
radio show/webcast:  www.FrugalYankee.co m
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Sushi Rolls
How to Make Curried Shrimp and Cauliflower
How to Make a Red-Curry Chicken Stir-Fry
Tofu Stir Fry Recipe
Non-Traditional Asian Brined Turkey Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...