A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,587
Currently Running With Scissors:
615 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Maternity (or not) Empire Line Dress - Mens Shirt Upcycle -TUTORIAL lots of pics  (Read 5618 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , maternity , pdf_attachment  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

GeekySweetheart
Tutorial Contributor

Personal Swap me!

Who you callin' scruffy lookin'?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 17, 2011 11:57:25 AM »

Ok kitties!

so a little while ago I posted my Maternity (or not!) 'Pirate Top' Mens Shirt Upcycle and Tutorial and thankyou SO much for all the love you've given me there, you guys are so lovely I have no words.

Anyhow I wanted to make myself a dress version because I could see how easy it would be, and ... well... dresses are easy to wear, right?

so I did... and here it is! with a lovely new tutorial!! ...
(note I keep all my pictures on picasa... I'm not sure wether it's done something to degrade the images which hold the step-by-step tutorial - so I've converted them to PDF which I'll get the mods to attach to this post with their brand new attachment magic!) I have attached now that I'm a magical 'tutorial contributor' (whoop whoop!)

anyhow I'll start with the finished project images and then move on to the tutorial/WIP pics!! <3

so I've got mixed feelings on the dress.. I think I went overboard on the 'flounce' and I feel a little ridiculous wearing it to be honest... but it's comfy and even if the 6 year old next door asked me if it was my pyjamas, my mother says she thinks it's lovely so there hahah!! I will still make another one for after the baby though because it will make a great nursing dress in the summer... I'll get rid of the silly ruffly neckline thing and go easy on the patterns for the next one I think...

ok the tutorial!

illustrated, step-by-step tutorial sheets

UPDATE: the instruction sheets can be downloaded by rightclicking and saving the images below OR scroll down to the bottom of the post to download the PDF attachment.

the instruction sheets don't include the silly ruffly neckline, if you're interested in that you can check out how I did it in my pirate top

You will need:
BIG men's shirt (bigger the better)
fabric for the skirt (I don't know exact yardage but I'd make sure you've got 2m just in case... depends how long you want your skirt)
elastic
general sewing supplies (iron, pins... etc.)

here's my WIP 'highlights'

Here's the shirt I started with

I hacked it into this shape

I attached a strip of fabric along the collar line

turned, pressed, topstitched and then added another line of stitching just below that to act as a channel for the elastic. you need to create a channel for the sleeve elastic too...

for the skirt (Maternity dress) I took pictures of my front and back skirt so you can see the difference - remember that these are pictures of the fabric folded in half. because the elastic is going to pull it in under your bust you don't have to worry too much about flaring your skirt out, and because the top is a straight line the bottom hem isn't going to be a very extreme curve
(left, back skirt piece. right, front skirt piece)

so then you just have to sew the 2 skirt pieces together at the side seams, match up the skirt side seams with the shirt side seams and sew together.

add another channel for elastic at the empire line (under bust) and insert your elastic! (I actually left inserting elastic into all channels til the end...)

OOH also! I finished the hem with bias tape... I tend to do that on skirts because I find it easier.

err... cool.... any questions let me know! happy to help!!

x GS

« Last Edit: July 19, 2011 01:08:26 AM by GeekySweetheart - Reason: added Tutorial PDF » THIS ROCKS   Logged

snapdragon274
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011 01:16:07 PM »

This is sooo cute Smiley
Maybe the ruffle colar is a bit too much (ok, there can't be too many ruffles on one piece of clothes for me Wink ) but it turned out really great and it fits you so well Smiley
and thanks for the tute, though I'm not pregnat I'll make one for myself Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thesillyseemstress
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011 01:21:53 PM »

I really like the shape of the dress. .. I agree the flounce on the neck might be a bit much, but i think i would still rock it. .. Maybe on the next dress instead of the flounce use bias tape . But i like it ! Thanks for the tute .
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GeekySweetheart
Tutorial Contributor

Personal Swap me!

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011 01:37:15 PM »

it almost had a crazy ruffle along the bottom hem too!! but I stopped myself just in time :-) *phew*

x GS
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pookyblossom

Always interested in personal swaps! PM me!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011 03:30:41 PM »

You look so darned adorable! Love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

{My Blog!}
{My Wist!}

Japanese Cuteness Swap: Crafting!

Will Swap for Postcard-Size Art! PM Me!
tiffi_333
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011 05:26:00 PM »

I bet he just asked if they were pjs because of the plaid. It looks really nice on you though
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GeekySweetheart
Tutorial Contributor

Personal Swap me!

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011 02:37:27 AM »

haha  Cheesy thanks guys!

x GS
THIS ROCKS   Logged

creepergirl
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013 12:01:33 PM »

This is cute!  Gives me an idea on what to do with the tons of button up shirts I picked up at the thrift store a few years ago. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

creepergirl
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013 12:02:21 PM »

p.s. i bookmarked this page so that i won't lose it lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn how to Tailgate - Peg Leg Chicken Drums
Learn how to Tailgate - Spatchcocked Chicken
Learn how to Make Tuna Burgers
How to Make Homemade Stuffing, Part 1
How to Make the Perfect Turkey Gravy
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...