A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,804
Currently Running With Scissors:
496 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hybrid craft booth?  (Read 939 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mammaw2000
« on: July 17, 2011 06:55:29 AM »

Hello all! I am thinking of venturing into the world of craft shows. I am wondering if anyone does what I call a "hybrid" show. That is where there is a mix of handcrafted items with premade items that are purchased wholesale, such as candles, garlands, etc.? I am not sure at this point if I can produce enough of the handmade items to fill a small booth and thought this might work. I know there are some shows that this would not be allowed, but for now, I just want to get my feet wet. I would love some feedback. I am not looking to make a living at this, just would like some extra income. Thanks in advance.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chris in VT
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011 06:35:40 AM »

The world of shows kinda frowns on buy/sell (or B/S) because they're called craft shows for a reason. The person in the booth should be the one who makes what s/he's selling.
Now you can purchase basics and embellish them and that could get you into some of the lower end shows.

Besides, the B/S merchants don't make as much profit as the real crafters. The markup is only 100% or twice what you paid. Subtract the shipping costs and you're making even less.

Now there is one nationwide promoter that not only allows B/S but over 80% of the shows have it.

www.countryfolkart. com

Go to the site and look at the section for exhibitor contracts. Click the link for the 2011 show contracts and look at the space fees.

These are exhibitors who do this for a living. Some even have contacts in Hong Kong and buy containers full of Chinese junk.

Although I make everything, I am not afraid to do these shows. I have made as much as $10,000 in three days at one of these shows. I do around 5 of their shows per year and average about $5,000 per show.  
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011 06:41:58 AM by Chris in VT » THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's NOTHING at a craft show, or on Etsy, anybody NEEDS. NOTHING.
www.shadypinestudio s.com
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011 07:55:11 AM »

Can you find somebody else to share a table with? That way you can save on the table and not invest in inventory you don't need.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Firehouse Chef Shares His Chili Recipe
Feta-Stuffed BLT Burger Recipe
How to Make an Ancho-Jalapeno Chile Sauce with Chicken Thighs
‘Taste of Home’ Magazine’s Barbecued Burgers Recipe
Cristina Ferrare’s Peach Tea-Brined Chicken with Bourbon-Peach BBQ Sauce
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...