A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 304,877
Currently Running With Scissors:
721 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Scented Sachet DIY Tutorial  (Read 122 times)
Tags for this thread: sewing_project , tutorial , scented_sachet  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CreativelyAB
« on: August 07, 2014 08:06:53 AM »

I posted this tutorial on my website with photos, but since I'm new here, I can only provide photo links for now. Since I'm new to writing tutorials, I would love feedback on this tutorial's ease of use. If you make any scented sachets using these instructions, please share that experience with me. Without further ado, here is my Scented Sachet DIY Tutorial:

Materials Needed:

Lightweight Fabric
Thread
Corner turners (I used chopsticks)
Rotary cutter
Sewing scissors
Measuring gauge
Straight pins
Fade away fabric marker
Seam ripper
Dried lavender buds ( cup, no more than cup)
Self-healing Cutting Mat
Iron
Ironing Board
*Funnel, or sheet of copy paper

Ive divided the instructions into four phases in hopes of making the directions simpler. Each phase has an accompanying series of images used to illustrate each point. Heres the first phase

PHASE ONE [Related photo: http://www.studio9thirteen.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/SewingFabricStripstoCreatePanels.jpg]
In the first phase of this sewing project, we want to measure, cut, and sew fabric strips to create panels as illustrated in the image above.

1. Using lightweight fabric (I used unbleached cotton muslin), I cut out four rectangles 3.75 by 3. Two rectangles were measured and cut to 3.75 by 1.75 and I measured and cut two squares to 1.75 by 1.75. (See square #1 in the image above.)

2. Using your measuring gauge and fabric pen, mark a inch seam (square #2), and then sew two large rectangles along their 3.75 sides (square #3), and then tie off the seams (squares #4 and #5). Repeat this step with the other two rectangles, and the smaller rectangle and square sets.

When finished, you should have four sewn pieces that have become 2 large squares and 2 narrow rectangles.

3. Press flat the seam allowance of each piece (See squares #6 and #7).

Now you are ready to add embellishment.

PHASE TWO [Related photo: http://www.studio9thirteen.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Phase-2-Numbered.jpg]

Next, we will add decorative stitching to the four sewn pieces, as shown in Image 2 above.

1. Take one of the newly formed large squares and use its center seam as a guide for placement.
2. On your sewing machine, select whichever stitching pattern you prefer, I chose an organic one, and alter stich length and width to your liking.
3. I dropped the needle into the center seam, and then stitched the full length of the fabric. Trim excess fabric (see square # 2 above).
4. Repeat these steps for each set (see square #3).
5. Next, youll want to join one of the larger squares with one of the narrower rectangles.
6. I used a inch seam again and placed a square and rectangle face-to-face (also called, right sides together), and then sewed a straight stitch. The result can be seen in squares #4 (back) and #5 (front).
7. Be sure to tie off, press, and then trim any excess fabric as you did before.

By now, you should have two panels that will become the front and back of your scented sachet. (See square #6)

PHASE THREE [Related photo: http://www.studio9thirteen.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Phase-3-Sewing-Front-and-Back-Panels.jpg]

At this point, we want to sew the front and rear panels together in order to form our fabric pouch.

1. Place the two panels right sides together, lining up the stitches and sides as best you can.
2. Next, use your measuring gauge and fabric pen to mark a 3/8 inch seam allowance. (In image #2, I measured a inch seam allowance, but I actually used a 3/8 inch seam allowance.)
3. Mark 3/8 inches all the way around, and leave a two-inch opening at the top in order to turn the pouch inside out.
4. Sew all the way around, pivoting at each corner, and backstitching at the beginning and end. Trim excess fabric. (See square #3 above)
5. Next, youll want to turn the empty sachet right side out and push out the corners with chopsticks or a corner turner. (See square #4 above)
6. Turn the fabric at the opening inward, and then press the entire pouch flat in preparation for filling and edge stitching. (See square #5 above.)

In the final phase of this project, we will fill the sachet, and then finish it off with edge stitching.

PHASE FOUR: [Related photo: http://www.studio9thirteen.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Final-Phase-DIY-Scented-Sachets.jpg]

Now comes the fun part, filling the sachet with fragrance. As mentioned earlier, I used dried lavender buds, but you can use the home fragrance you like best.

1. I rolled a sheet of copy paper to create a funnel in order to pour the lavender buds into the pouch without making a mess. (See square #1)
2. Square #2 shows the sachet filled with cup dried lavender buds. I would suggest using no more than cup of any substance in order to leave room for edge stitching.
3. Once the sachet has been filled, you can pin the opening together, and then edge stitch all the way around the sachet, pivoting at each corner. This process may require you to shake the buds away from the edge to prevent them from being sewn into the edge stitching.
4. See square #3 for the final result. The final dimensions were 4 x 4.5

You can try this DIY idea in different shapes and sizes to ensure that you have enough sachets to fill your home with fragrance and protect your clothing and linens.

Additional scented sachet uses:

Here are some additional uses for DIY scented sachets:

-Toss them in the clothes dryer to freshen your laundry
-Slip them beneath your pillow to lull yourself to sleep
-Use them as a room freshener by hanging them in front of an open window or hand them from a ceiling fan
-Toss one in your gym bag or dirty clothes hamper
-Give them away as handmade housewarming gifts
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014 05:18:05 AM by photojenn - Reason: fixed image » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Paper Pumpkins
How to Make a Trick-or-Treat Bag
How to Make a Sock Skeleton
How to Create a Cat Mask
How to Make Halloween Favor Bags
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...