A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,586
Currently Running With Scissors:
521 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Partners not listening to what you want  (Read 4144 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LadybugsAndBumblebees
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011 01:25:44 PM »

I think here we are all saying the same things, just in different ways...lots of times-if not all the times-that there are problems with swapping, it has to do with miscommunication and/or lack of or no effort being put into the object(s) being made.  I would use and probably love an item that was really not my style, if I knew that the crafter had put thoughtfulness and effort into it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Spoopy
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011 02:46:29 PM »

At least I'm not the only one, I seem to have horrible luck with swapping even though I keep trying since it is fun. In the like 5 swaps I have done I had everything from being flaked on to being sent a horrible package that the sender recieved neg feedback for (these were fixed via angel packages but it still sucks to go through it) and one time recieving something that I liked but unfortunently was too large for me to ever use (I make sure to mention now that I'm short so people hopefully don't make things really large). I make sure I do smaller swaps so that I don't spend tons of time and money so that if something bad happens (which seems to happen to me alot) I don't feel as upset. My luck makes me a little scared to join a large swap. I just know if I joined a large swap it would probably get lost forever in the mail and since I craft very slow it would be so troubling to have to make everything again, I can just picture the amount of grumbling and fist shaking at the sky I'd be doing  Tongue
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011 02:57:23 PM by Spoopy » THIS ROCKS   Logged
LadybugsAndBumblebees

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2011 06:12:56 PM »

Spoopy, I think you are right, it does take some trial and error to thru swapping to realize what you really need to tell your partner to make sure it's a good swapping experience.  I, too, learned that I need to mention that I am pretty short (and also that I'm pretty fat, too!  Roll Eyes) and it helped with items like jewelry.  I also think that newbies can be good partners to have as well...I know that when I started out on here, oh boy, the packages my partners received!  I think you have to have a certain level of confidence in yourself and your crafting talent in order to swap anyhow. 

I've also learned not to count on anything, no matter how communicative me and my partner have been. Such is life.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Spoopy
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2011 08:12:48 AM »

I've also learned not to count on anything, no matter how communicative me and my partner have been. Such is life.

You summed this conversation up right here. Life isn't perfect you have to take the bad with the good. I've had bad swaps but I've also had awesome swaps and even when things like flakers happen there are awesome people willing to angel. It's the luck of the draw with swaping and everytime something bad does happen I try to take something away from the experience so that I can better communicate with my next partner.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dragonflower
Ecraftic

YAY!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2011 09:25:53 AM »

I swap because I really enjoy making things for other people and stretching my creative wings, and because I get inspired by the themes and other Craftsters. That's why, period. Anything I receive in exchange is just gravy. Don't get me wrong, I've loved most of the packages I've received and use stuff from them all the time, and when I do it inevitably makes me smile, but that's not the reason I swap.

I have had one truly disappointing package, and I've received some things that I just couldn't use before. But I was appreciative of the effort that went into the items, and it wasn't a big deal... because that's not why I swap. I think if your expectations about swapping are focused on what you're going to receive, then you may be disappointed time after time. (Or not, because we have a lot of truly talented people here!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In the end, only kindness matters.
silentblair

Intellect and Romance over Brute Force and Cynicism

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2011 02:35:41 PM »

This is my take on it...Although getting exactly what you say you don't want has never happened to me. Knock on wood...
I was just talking to my friend the other day about the swaps and she asked "why the new addiction?".
My response:
While my family and friends seem happy with Christmas/Birthday crafted stuff I make them, they themselves do not craft. I get a thrill from making something for someone, and even more so from someone who will see the work involved (a special stitch, new technique, or inside joke...what have you) and appreciate it in the spirit it was made. While I certainly am excited and thankful for whatever it is they took the time to make for me, I love the making for someone else. The research it involves and detective work. If I can use up some of my stash, more points for me. I love being resourceful about it.
This is why I do the swaps. Meet fun people, see like-minded crafts on the gallery, and be challenged. The "thank yous" and "good jobs" are a welcome self boost when my day has been filled with dirty diapers and demanding youngsters (stay at home mom).

My friend looked at me (we were on our way to knit nite) and totally got it.
I am not saying you shouldn't be bummed out, I am just saying there are different ways of looking at things.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Alatarial
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2011 08:25:07 PM »

I enjoy swaps simply because I like crafting for others. I like learning the new techniques that the requested items require, and I like meeting fellow crafters. I put my heart and sould into the items I make, and it is genuinly my favorite part of the swap. Like others said, the stuff I receive in return is just extra.

However, if someone sends me something that I specifically ask not for for HEALTH reasons (Ex.: Food you're allergic to, items that could potentially hurt you, etc.), that I'm not OK with. It's more than just getting something you don't want... It's a total disreguard for your well being and has nothing to do with your "taste."

THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/elenc/

Will personal swap! Please, PM me!
kaybeeeee
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2011 01:35:33 PM »

I feel like if people try their best, you can at least appreciate their efforts. Perhaps if the craft is not in your taste, you can just donate it to a bazaar or give it to someone else who will appreciate it? I'd feel terrible if I read a post and realised they were talking about me. Please consider that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Read my BLOG?
Listen to my MUSIC?
Dragonflower
Ecraftic

YAY!

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2011 09:29:40 AM »

I'd feel terrible if I read a post and realised they were talking about me. Please consider that.

And this is the main reason I would never, ever complain about a swap package, even if I thought I was being very subtle and delicate about it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In the end, only kindness matters.
irid3sc3nt

I <3 Halloween

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2011 02:40:43 PM »

I agree with most of the thoughts on here:  I like to research and craft for other people, regardless of what I receive. 

I keep a running list of everything I have made for swaps and to look back on the photos and see where I am now in my crafting is a pretty great feeling.  I learn a lot from the research aspect as well!  It's nice to recognize other swappers' work in the gallery and learn new techniques from them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop
Pinterest
I am interested in Halloween Rinchies!
Swaps:  OTT October10/21, Creepy Cute Stuffie10/23
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw the Graffiti Letter Z
How to Draw Etou Misaki from Dragon Crisis
How to Draw Alejandro from Total Drama World Tour
How to Draw Dino
How to Paint With an Air Compressor
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...