A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,575
Currently Running With Scissors:
693 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Smoked Stuffed Yellow Peppers  (Read 1126 times)
Tags for this thread: pepper , recipe  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TheFanatic
« on: June 22, 2011 10:21:56 AM »

These were a big hit a couple weeks ago at a family BBQ.  It's a fairly simple recipe.  Peppers, cream cheese, quartered cherry or grape tomatoes, pepperoni, and slices of cheese.  The end result was out of this world.

Here's the directions, step by step, picture by picture.  And here's the pictures that will make you really hungry:

And the whole recipe for the link averse:

Ive done stuffed veggies a few times in the past and am determined to get them documented here.  I will be doing stuffed onions, tomatoes, following these peppers, in the near future

I know what youre thinking, I dont like peppers.  I wasnt a fan until just recently.  First, skip past the greens and go with yellow or at least orange ones.  They cost a little more but they arent nearly as harsh as the green pepper.  Also, with this recipe, if you dont like peppers at all, scoop the gooey goodness out of the pepper and discard the rest.

Ingredients:

3 yellow peppers
30 pepperoni slices
6 tbsp of cream cheese
9 slices of monterey jack cheese
1 package of cherry or grape tomatoes, quartered

Serves six

First, chop off the stem and slice them in half:

Remove the seeds and any white flesh (thats my wife helping out with the deseeding):

Now put one tablespoon of cream cheese inside each pepper half and spread around with the back of a spoon:

Then fill each half with quartered cherry or grape tomatoes:

Then layer five slices of pepperoni on top of each pepper half:

You can also do a couple slices of sweet coppa rather than pepperoni:

And then place them on the grill.  Obviously I made more than three peppers worth, but I wanted to cut it down to a more manageable size for the recipe:

The grill was set up for two zone grilling, with coals on one side and the peppers went opposite of that.  I threw a couple chunks of sassafras wood on the coals and shut the lid. The internal temp of the grill was between 275-300.

At about 15 minutes I checked on the peppers and saw that the coals were pretty ashed over so I wanted to shake the ash loose and I lifted up the leg of the grill an inch or two and let it slam back down to shake the cooking chamber.  This is a good way to jostle the coals, but it also jostled the peppers.  My 10 halves on the grill became 9 on the grill, and one under it:

DOH!!

At the 25 minute mark I checked the progress:

I rotated the peppers around at this point.  The ones closest in this shot were cooking faster than the far ones so I switched them and moved each one 180 degrees so the side farthest from the coals was now the closest.

Heres a closeup to show a little blackening from the pepperoni at the 25 minute mark.  Dont sweat that, just rotate it away from the fire like I did with these:

At 50 minutes they looked like this:

At this point I applied the cheese, a slice and a half per pepper half.  I used monterey jack and muenster, both were delicious, although you could just as easily use mozzarella or havarti:

I closed the lid for 10 more minutes to melt the cheese and here are the peppers ready to plate:

Now picking these things up is a little tricky as the peppers are really soft at this point.  Instead of trying to grab the pepper on two sides with my tongs, I had to scoop them up from underneath:

Heres a closeup of the tongs.  Notice I dont clamp them down on top, or the cheese will stick to the tongs and probably push the contents out the side:

Looking back, I would probably put the cheese on earlier.  I was worried that it would all run over the sides, but with all the open space around the quartered tomatoes, it all sunk down into the middle.  Adding it earlier would add a nice smokiness to the cheese as well.   This recipe can be either a side or an appetizer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lvl0rg4n
lvl0rg4n says Morgan

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011 12:05:13 PM »

Well.. that looks just delicious!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Catniplemon
All your base are belong to us!

I like rusty spoons. - Salad Fingers

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011 12:24:04 PM »

mMM sounds delicious! I love roasted peppers, it brings out their natural sweetness. Such mouth watering pictures too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Euch, you taste like soot and poo Hubert Cumberdale! - Salad Fingers
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Who Is Your Favorite Dracula
Dramatic Reads: Chris Roberson
Dramatic Reads: Ian Brill
Dramatic Reads: Chris Sebella
Dramatic Reads: Christopher Hastings
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...