A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 296,709
Currently Running With Scissors:
614 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Scrapbooking?  (Read 1391 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CatyX
« on: June 08, 2005 12:10:20 PM »

I dont know a thing and it sounds like a really fun thing to do and I'd like to give it a go, but I have absolutly no idea about where to start or what to really do. So if somebody wouldn't mind giving me some pointers I'd be very thankful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aria
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005 06:34:55 PM »

Just remember theres really no rules to it - its however YOU want to do it, LOL!  Personally its one of the reasons I no longer buy scrapbook magazines - yeah they're fun to look at - but one, I don't like a lot of the embellishments they use - and two - I never copy anything they do anyway (but a few articles are good sometimes on things like whether paper is acid free, etc, or about the best photo printers)

Mostly I'd just start with a basic scrapbook (I prefer post bound) and some plain cardstock, and some photo corners or your scrapbook adhesive of choice (I do use photo tabs and such for paper to paper, but I put all my photos in with photo corners to be assured of them coming out one day if necessary - I'm of the yes it needs to be archival, but anything you do to a photo also needs to be reversable school, lol!)

You'd be amazed with the number of things you can do with just one or a few markers or pens and some plain cardstock and sissors... I do sometimes use patterned paper and such - mostly for some "special" layouts - but in general - I stick rather simply (though I have dones some pretty interesting things with some of my momentos from trips using them as decorations!) I just feel that the photos and your story should be the emphasis - and see no reason for all the doodads that are out there...

but thats just my personal philosophy of scrapbooking =) everyone has their own likes and dislikes - I have friends who will only use straphinge scrapbooks, even though I can't stand them... its all a matter of personal preference - and thats the best hint I can tell you - just go looking through the scrapbook isles - we're all rather ashamed of our first scrapbook pages normally to tell you the truth - just because we grow to like other things, not always because our first ones were so bad (my biggest issue with my early scrapbook pages is that I used page protectors that you had to trim off a side of the 8.5x11 sheet by like half an inch for them to fit... I now stick to either true 12x12 or 8.5x11 - I do want to get some smaller ones for a few cool things, but I'm wanting 6x6 instead of the typical 8x8 so that I can save paper!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CatyX
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2005 07:58:07 AM »

Thanks alot, that was a really great explanation- all I need to do now is go shopping.

Thank-you
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GinaTy05
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005 09:38:15 PM »

I recently started scrapbooking and here's a tip: MAKE A LIST before going to the scrapbook store because you'll be so overwhelmed and will buy EVERYTHING in sight, haha!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again, but life goes on." - Blow
Carrie_Stephens

Carrie Stephens

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2005 11:47:37 AM »

Have you ever thought about going digital? 

If you would like i can point you to some great digital sites Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Carrie Stephens
Blog: http://www.carries.typepad.com
CatyX
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2005 12:19:52 PM »

Yea, that'd be really cool- thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Carrie_Stephens

Carrie Stephens

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2005 05:25:07 AM »

I would first start off with the digi basics
You need a computer program such as paint shop pro by jasc, photoimpact, or  any version of photoshop - photoshop elements 2.0 is inexpensive and a great beginner program with lots of room to grow Smiley
you can choose to try your hand at making your own graphics or, purchase digital kits to use Smiley

you can see plenty of tutorials at

Scrapbook-elements.com - they got an extensive how to section Smiley

also at Scrapbook-bytes.com their is a large turtorial section  for creating your own elements and for all different programs
and of course i cant forget my own site.. LOL  i am still working on the tutorials and how tos but, i sell some great digital kits Smiley   
my site is www.fishscraps.com 

Hope this helps!

Since starting digi a year and a half ago.... i can admit..  i am addicted.. i love it!!!   here is one of my fav layouts i have created Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Carrie Stephens
Blog: http://www.carries.typepad.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get a Snooki Hair
How to Get Lauren Conrad Hair
How to Get the Half-Up Half-Down Look
How to Get Selena Gomez Hair Part 2/2
How to Get Selena Gomez Hair Part 1/2
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...