A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 299,170
Currently Running With Scissors:
575 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: tie skirt  (Read 51720 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sevenislucky

*...What will your anthem be?...*

View Profile
« on: March 17, 2004 07:49:19 PM »

I saw a girl the other day wearing a skirt made entirely out of ties...I couldnt get away with wearing something like that but i thought it was genious!...has anyone ever seen anything like that?...i really liked how the length of it was uneven but still looked great...it looked pretty easy to do...if anyone ever decides to try something like this id love to see pics!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*...this is one side, my conventional side, an attraction to tradition, my vintage disposition...* - No Doubt
Junyper319

you're a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2004 09:06:35 PM »

My grandma and I made one of these when I was in 8th grade (my idea, her sewing skills)! It was sooo fun. I would love to make a newer, more "adult wear-able" version...I don't have a lot of time right now to try, but let's hope someone comes up w/ a pattern!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sheeshoo
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2004 09:27:31 PM »

Here is one "tutorial" on making a necktie skirt. I found it here.

Wondering what to do with all of dad's old ties? Try this!
 1. Start collecting a bunch of ties, somewhere from 10 to 20 depending on your size.
 2. Find a rectangular piece of black cloth, the length of your waist and the height a little less than that of the ties.
 3. Lay the ties face down in a horizontal row with no spaces in between.
 4. Pin the black cloth to the ties, all along the top edges of them.
 5. Begin sewing from the backside of your creation, the needle of your sewing machine should be running along the black cloth side of it.
 6. You might want to also sew along the bottom edge of the ties, if you don't want them to flap around.
 7. To be able to close your skirt, I recommend those snappy little buttons from the cloth store. Or just safety pin it closed!

Seems like you might be able to use a skirt that does fit you and use that as a pattern. I may have to give this a shot. If I find the time to do it - I'll let you know.

I wish I had the old Sassy Magazine that had the how-to for this in it. Geez I miss that magazine. It was great.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2004 09:49:31 PM by sheeshoo » THIS ROCKS   Logged
CircusManager220
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2004 01:43:03 PM »

I am getting the idea that you might have seen someone with the ties fitting horizontally. I think it would be super boss to have them vertically with some checkered fabric (sorry) in the gaps... when I get my sewing machine I will try!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am Washable
BuffaloRohm

I love llamas!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2004 04:55:30 PM »

OOOOOOOooo! I made one last summer... I'll post pics when I can finally get my digital to work. For now, I'll try to explain as best as I can...
1. go to the thrift store and get a bunch of coordinating (or not!) ties... i got them for 20 cents a piece.
2. cut open the back side of the tie and remove lining of all ties
3. cut ties to desired length of skirt (use wider end)
4. pin ties together and sew them along the original folds
5. between the 2 end ties, sew a zipper in
6. using the narrow end of one of the ties, make a waistband and attach to the top of the skirt and use either a button or hook and eye closure.

It makes a mock-pleated skirt look... sorry about the really really poor directions... I'll post a picture ASAP
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yay! I'm engaged! 8/4/08
firefly

the giant tree starts as a tiny sprout.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2004 06:01:29 PM »

actually, i was admiring how concise your instructions were-i could totally make one now, even through i'm not a sewer!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BuffaloRohm

I love llamas!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2004 10:48:13 PM »

Yay! Thanks... I always feel so blonde when I post (which I am, btw). I'm actually wearing the skirt right now... I've been inspired! Plus I jazzed it up with some legwarmers and a sideponytail for an 80's dance party. Oh yeah.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yay! I'm engaged! 8/4/08
stashia
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2004 11:04:40 PM »

I made one in january, and it took a long time, but came out really cool.  I left some slits in the bootom where I didn't attach the ties to eachother all the way down.  Mine fastens with a zipper in the back.
Stashia
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When I judge art, I take my painting and put it next to a God made object like a tree or flower. If it clashes, it is not art." ~ Paul Cezanne
sheeshoo
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2004 06:23:00 AM »

I am sure you can make the skirt for less than $320! Check out this skirt - I've seen how talented many of you are and you can do way better! Who's more nutty - the people charging that much for a skirt made out of old ties? Or the people that will PAY that much because it's "designer"?

Also, there is some Tie Skirt discussion on the Tie Purse craftster thread.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mamabunnycat
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2004 06:34:49 AM »

back when i was in highschool for our fashion show, I helped my friend make a tie dress jumper type of thing.  it was AWESOME.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
New Twist On Classic Labor Day Treats
Bring A Modern Flair To Classic Labor Day Dishes
How to Make a Brick Oven Style Prosciutto Arugula Pizza
Bacon and Escarole Pizza Recipe
Best Foods For Tailgating At The Game And At Home
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...