A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,021
Currently Running With Scissors:
393 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sarah's Journal - picture and story heavy!  (Read 1215 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

just1morestitch
« on: January 14, 2012 09:20:21 PM »

This is the journal I made for my daughter for Christmas. I wanted it to represent all the things that make her - her. All her favorites and what not.

This was my second journal I've ever made and I would appreciate any thoughts on where I went wrong (you'll see what I'm talking about in a minute). Smiley

It is made from illustrator's board for the cover and that was the only thing I bought. Everything else is either magazine pictures; printed on salvaged paper; paper purchased from the thrift store; paper my Mom gave me; or ink stamped.

Here is the front cover. I covered the board with a brown bag but on Sarah's glued the printed side out instead of inside out. After a few minutes of cursing my stupidity I glued a plain white piece of legal sized paper around the book.

The back cover. I glued generic reviews from worn out paperbacks destined for the recycler and a cute quote from her favorite show, Doctor Who.

Here is the inside cover. The Tardis came from a DVD I think. Sarah gave it to me to put in her "top secret project" that eventually became know as the "journal-you're-not-make-me". Smiley Kids are so smart!!!  Now I glued a pieces of scrapbook paper inside and up against the first page of the journal in hopes of the pages staying in better. I think it was a big mistake because I just couldn't get that first page smooth! But of course it was too late by then... Plus there was a huge bubble/seam thing down the fold:

Some Inside pages.

The flower and vase is from wrapping paper.

I used paper glaze on the stars to make them stand out a bit and make them shiny.

And here you can see the last page separating from the bank of pages. Luckily I glued that same scrapbook paper onto the back like I did on the front.

Again - any helpful advise would be appreciated. See "Jerald's Journal" for the other one I did. Thanks in Advance!

Oh - Giving Credit where credit is due!: Owls, cat, hands all came from the site: http://graphicsfairy.blogspot.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tuberculosis
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012 04:16:41 AM »

I love this, it's so sweet. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
just1morestitch
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012 08:16:17 PM »

Thanks Tuberculosis!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Taramor
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012 07:55:03 AM »

I think it is wonderful - I don't know what you mean by saying you went wrong. Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

just1morestitch
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012 11:52:36 AM »

Thanks Taramor! I really appreciate it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Rihanna Wins Battle Against Topshop
5 Fashion Items Worth the Splurge
Best Shorts For Your Shape
Rachel Bilson Wears Sparkly 3.1 Phillip Lim at TCA 2013 Summer Party
Penelope Cruz Makes Directing Debut in Lingerie Film
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Patriotic Planter
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...