A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 298,647
Currently Running With Scissors:
655 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How do I do this without starting over?  (Read 534 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nachturnal
« on: July 13, 2011 08:57:14 PM »

So I've had this idea of a pleated bag for a really long time, and when I got a sewing machine for my birthday, I pretty much got cracking on it.  Problem is, I've already started assembling one of the panels for the exterior of the bag but I've forgotten to wash the fabric or add any interfacing.  I plan to use this as a bookbag for uni.  One fabric is quilt-weight, and one is a heavy homespun cotton.  Does it matter that I've forgotten a couple of things, or will the bag hold without it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
little me
Little Me Crafts

Enjoy Life's Little Pleasures

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011 09:07:42 PM »

If it's the kind of heavy cotton like the home dec cotton, then those usually aren't washable - it's dry clean only. Depending on how many books you plan to carry, your bag may sag a little.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nachturnal
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011 09:10:59 PM »

If it's the kind of heavy cotton like the home dec cotton, then those usually aren't washable - it's dry clean only. Depending on how many books you plan to carry, your bag may sag a little.

Will interfacing stop my bag from sagging?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
little me
Little Me Crafts

Enjoy Life's Little Pleasures

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011 08:32:35 AM »

If you're talking about the bottom - what would be great would be to get some kind of light plastic you can cover in the same fabric to use as a "floor", that will help a lot. Interfacing alone will not help w/a lot of books.

People use plastic canvas (used for needlepointing), but I think it's too flimsy. There is a plastic they use for quilting for cutting out shapes that works great if you can find it. Otherwise, cutting a flat plastic container & sanding the edges would work great - cut it about 1/4-1/8" smaller than your bottom. Also what I did once was, I made the edges about 1" bigger on all sides - the plastic was framed. This gave the "floor" a skirt that came up the sides & prevented small things from falling underneath that you have to dig for.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

nachturnal
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011 07:38:47 PM »

If you're talking about the bottom - what would be great would be to get some kind of light plastic you can cover in the same fabric to use as a "floor", that will help a lot. Interfacing alone will not help w/a lot of books.

People use plastic canvas (used for needlepointing), but I think it's too flimsy. There is a plastic they use for quilting for cutting out shapes that works great if you can find it. Otherwise, cutting a flat plastic container & sanding the edges would work great - cut it about 1/4-1/8" smaller than your bottom. Also what I did once was, I made the edges about 1" bigger on all sides - the plastic was framed. This gave the "floor" a skirt that came up the sides & prevented small things from falling underneath that you have to dig for.

I was talking of the sides, whether I'd need to reinforce them.  I was just going to have a basic bag shape, though now I think of it, I may make it like more of a rectangular prism to make it with a bottom.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011 05:24:31 PM »

Washing the fabric ahead of time isn't really a biggie for me. Washing machine is OK as long as you don't put the bag in the dryer. Air dry, then iron when still a little damp. I do that for all my bags and they come out just fine. Just about all my fabrics are interior design quality.

(Er, that's COLD water, GENTLE cycle only)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011 06:30:11 AM by CraftyChef » THIS ROCKS   Logged

nachturnal
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011 08:04:22 AM »

Washing the fabric ahead of time isn't really a biggie for me. Washing machine is OK as long as you don't put the bag in the dryer. Air dry, then iron when still a little damp. I do that for all my bags and they come out just fine. Just about all my fabrics are interior design quality.

I generally don't wash my bags anyway (I had a bad experience with a bag losing most of its colour after being washed and AIR-DRIED, for chrissake), but I'm fairly paranoid.

I don't think any of this will shrink, it's fairly heavy-weight cotton.  Even so, better safe than sorry?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Intriguing Philly Beef Casserole Recipe
Chili Cheese Nacho Casserole Recipe
Crispy Parmesan Chicken Breast Recipe
Made from Scratch Sloppy Joes Recipe
Chicken and Noodle Casserole Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament
Falling for Autumn Crafts

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...