A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,604
Currently Running With Scissors:
669 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Still haven't sold anything?  (Read 3462 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kellianneeee
« on: July 13, 2011 01:14:15 PM »

So I made an etsy and listed my shoes. I've been promoting EVERYWHERE. People keep looking at them and favoriting them, but nobody has made any effort to actually buy any. I've had a few inquiries from people on craigslist, but it seems like as soon as they hear the price they go running in another direction. So how much would you honestly pay for a pair of my shoes? I work really hard on them and make sure that they are perfect. I made a pair for my sister and I used those for the pictures of my work. But it just seems like people don't want to shell out the money for a pair of custom made shoes.
So how much would YOU pay for these?

Oh and it's been at least 2 weeks since I put them on etsy and I posted them on craigslist in lots of major cities like Vegas, LA, New York, Chicago, etc. I don't see why they aren't selling.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011 01:31:54 PM by kellianneeee » THIS ROCKS   Logged

kjbf^_^
sune42
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011 01:39:28 PM »

They are super cute. However, I know I would never wear a heal like that. Other options on shoes might be better. Where are you getting your shoes from. Is is possible to find a cheaper supply? $95 is a bit more than I would pay for a pair of shoes, custom or not.

I would also change the pic of the glitter. It looks to me like a picture from the catalog you buy glitter from. Personalize it more, even if it's just the colors on paper. Change the names up a bit too. I did that when I was making soap. I wanted to set myself apart from the people who bought the same scents I did.  I assume the are all super fine glitters. If not, separate them into categories based on the type of glitter, then name them. For example, the Emerald fine jewel could be under the super fine category with the name emerald city, or forest glen, or luck of the Irish etc.  Or look at how OPI names their polish. The apple could become hot kiss, passion, or cherry soda. Not suggesting using OPIs names, just be inspired. Also, possibly custom blends, or designs? Gold, to orange to red for a flame shoe?

I think showing more shoes will help you. Having more examples. That will be an investment up front, but I think it would help.

I don't have an etsy shop, so I don't know 100% how they work, but is it possible to list shoes at the down payment price, then create an item for people to purchase their finished shoe? I know I wouldn't buy a shoe if I had to message you and make a payment without even buying an item. I would guess I have no proof if you were to flake. At least if I bought an item I would have something to show for it. Even if that item was a down payment. Just make sure it's clear that the item they are buying is a down payment and the rest would come with a second item listing.

Just my thoughts, take them as you will.

ETA: I would stay away from Craigslist. People on Craigslist are looking for deals, not hand made items. I would not think it your target market.

ETA again: I see that you said you would create a listing for someone once the convo you. Again, not knowing how etsy works, are you able to send messages with an order? That way you can have listings up and people send a message with the order on the color they want?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011 01:44:03 PM by sune42 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Emperor of Fabulous
kellianneeee
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011 01:57:03 PM »

There is a notes to seller part when you order something so they can let me know what color and size they want.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kjbf^_^
frankeknitter
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011 02:06:54 PM »

Try ebay, glitter shoes sell big there
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ViciousPrecious

i ♥ my craft

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011 02:15:09 PM »

As a consumer, I would probably need more "window dressings" to spark my interest. Having the one listing, even though it does say various colours, doesn't really inspire me. I would make a few listings of some different colours so people can visualise the finished product and makes your store page look more attractive. Would you consider doing a ballet flat type style as well? Same as sun42 above, I can't wear heels like this. I like the idea too of photographing all the glitter colours outside the bottle somehow for a nice visual.

Also you can put a link to your Esty in your Craftster signature and get posting and commenting on the boards here to get your name around.

Hang in there, two weeks is still early days. It looks like a really awesome product! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

See my wist
Check out what I'm listening to on last.fm
sweatereyes

We are but lovers.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011 06:36:28 AM »

I agree that making more shoes would help you.. If you really wanted to save time/ money and were fine with just having "tester/ examples", you could always do just one shoe (since you already have one full pair for in-use shots).  I would also include one slightly farther away shot of the shoes on a person, instead of just closer shots. 

I think that how you talk about your product would help a lot too.. someone suggested added more interesting names, and mixing glitter to make your own colours is a great idea.  How well does your product hold up?  Will the glitter wash off in the rain?  Are they protected at all?  These are things I would want to know if I was going to spend that much money on a pair of shoes.

As for price, I don't think that $95 is really asking that much.  I don't buy expensive shoes myself, but I have a lot of sister that do and I know that most "mall" shoe places (Aldo, Sterling, Town Shoes) sell high heels for well over $100, and those are still mass-produced. 

Also, fill out your store policies!  I always always check store policies if I'm interested, and any etsy store that has none is an automatic turn off.  Even if I really really want sometime from the store, I will not buy if they don't have policies up. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ill weave your names into my ribcage; lock your hearts inside my chest.
Regain the passion I once carried; do away with all the rest.
I tore the sickness from your bodies; smashed its head against the bricks.
I made a castle from its bones that you may always dwell in it.
kellianneeee
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011 12:18:58 PM »

Alright well I updated my policies page. I can't make any more examples right now because I am completely and utterly broke, so that will have to wait. Anything else I could do?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kjbf^_^
lorelei
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011 11:21:58 AM »

I couple suggestions:

- take a photo without the shoes on.  I would want to see the inside of the shoe to see if it is dirty/loose sparkles/etc.

- put up some smaller items.  I know you mention being broke but like I'm starting off with bottle cap jewelry simply because I can take the hit if they don't sell and I'm trying to build up to more clothes,etc so when I have more expensive things I already have some feedback and sales.  Someone might be intimidated to shell out 100 on shoes if no one else has been able to say anything about the seller.

- don't get discouraged and once you are able to try various things.  I am another person that love heels but not ones that thin.  If you could offer different types of shoes as well as the different glitter you might get some more takers especially when it gets to be around halloween.  I am always looking for quality shoes to match my homemade costumes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fancy Dodo
Like my storenvy on facebook!
Read my blog!
Pinterested?
frenchonion

Keep calm and make a list

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011 07:42:04 AM »

Don't get discouraged! Oftentimes it takes months to make your first sale and there's a lot of work that has to go into your shop to make it.

First: You need need need a shop banner and shop announcement. Stay away from the "welcome, hello" parts and just dive into what you do. Fill it up with keywords "glitter shoes, high heels, custom shoes" because that is what google is grabbing. You want your shop to show up in google searches so you need keywords

The shop banner is for the customers that are already there. You want your shop to feel welcoming and professional, even if you only have one item.

Second: Gather inventory. I know it's expensive; I'm in the custom shoe business myself. Ask around. People hoard shoes. Your friends may very well have some heels collecting dust that you can use as samples. Just make sure the shoe is generic enough that you can order one when you get a sale

Third Photos Photos Photos. Good photos are very often the make or break point for buyers, myself included. If someone took the time to make their item, why can't they take the time to showcase it in the best way possible? Using simple tools such as a lightbox and the macro setting on your camera will improve your photos instantly.

Here's how to make your own lightbox

http://www.ehow.com/how_2176308_economical-photo-light-box.html

I have to disagree with the posters before me on the glitter though. I like that photo just the way it is. A lot of sellers have their colors displayed in a sort of 'stock' way and to me that says 'business' as opposed to 'I make these at my kitchen table' While handmade is what we are there for, professionalism is key. Even if you AREN'T a professional, giving the illusion that you are is good for business

Fourth
Keep it confident. Believe in your product, believe in yourself, and don't waver. It's a tough time out there and there will be people that will try to wear you down into giving them a deal. It's better to wait for the right customers, the ones who are willing to pay your price, than to have a bunch of cheap-o, deal snatching ones that don't understand how much work and time goes into creating.

Phew! That was a lot. Best of luck to you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like What You see?
http://www.merlodesigns.etsy.com

I think I'm interesting!
twitter.com/merlodesigns
CeeJayRose
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011 05:52:56 PM »

As a shoe lover...those are HOTT!!! Now I have tons of shoes that are a really high heel but as mentioned not everybody can wear super high heels and for that price the people favouriting them may either not have the money or don't wear heels that high but LOVE the shoes.

Okay, anyway, from a buyers perspective:

1) You need a banner!!! And an announcement. A store that looks that bland and empty I would stay away from. I'd be wondering why they only have ONE thing up for sale and think they didn't put any effort into the storefront.

2) Try to get other shoe options. How about adding some flip flops and ballet flats? More versatile and less expensive. Almost everybody wears either ballet flats or flip flops a lot. Filling up the store will look much better.

3) I also agree with the above poster about the glitter. I like the way it so I wouldn't change that.

Starting out is usually the hardest so don't get discouraged. Two weeks is barely anything when some people wait months for a sale. I would try to get some smaller, less expensive items up because once you get some sales and feedback that will help. Some people are unsure of a seller without any sale or feedback because they don't know. Are they good or bad? Legit or just wanna take my money and do a crappy job? Etc, etc.

That's what I would suggest coming from a buyer that's what my impression is of the shop and how it can be changed a bit to look better.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Production Studio - Exporting After Effects Files into Photoshop
Adobe Production Studio - Creating a Solid Background
Adobe Production Studio - Explaining Title Safe and Action Safe Guides
Adobe Production Studio - Using an Element from a 4:3 Comp in a 16:9 Comp
Adobe Production Studio - Setting Up a New Composition
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...