A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 299,158
Currently Running With Scissors:
623 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help on simple dress, please?  (Read 387 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Limeflavoredlollypop
« on: July 13, 2011 07:13:45 AM »

Embarrassed I know this probably is going to make me seem completely clueless about sewing...

Can anyone help me think of how to recreate this dress from Vampire Knight, worn by the character Sara Shirabuki? Roll Eyes

I'll link some scans that depict the dress:
Most of the dress:
http://www.mangareader.net/104-33723-20/vampire-knight/chapter-54.html
(She's on the bottom of the page, closest to the left with her head down)

Close up on neckline:
http://www.mangareader.net/104-33723-19/vampire-knight/chapter-54.html
(On the bottom right-hand)

I know it's quite simple but when I look at that neck strap thing, it's really intimidating. Oh and does anyone know what kind of shape those beads are (as in what they're called if I have to hunt them down in a shop) and how you would attach them onto the strap?

Thanks  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Megrims
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011 01:02:00 PM »

Right, here goes...

It's a strapless dress - the kind of strapless dress that can be made by taking a looong rectangle of thin fabric (2x your bust measurement or 3x your waist measurement is a good guess, whichever is larger) sewing the edges together, and gathering it at the top edge and just below the bust. 

For the straps to look as smooth as they do in the manga, you'd have to make them out of shaped pieces of fabric, but you could cheat with ribbon. Sew a piece of ribbon on the top edge, then another under the bust (on top of the gathering.)  For the neck strap, take a piece of ribbon and attach it to the dress where your bra strap would normally be.  Bring it up across your chest to your other shoulder, and wrap it around the back of your neck until it crosses itself in the back.  Then bring it down across your chest and attach it to the other side, just like you did the first. You'll probably need someone to help you - pin it with safety pins first, and make sure you leave a little room in the ribbon around your neck - I'd suggest that you sew the ribbon in a fixed position and add a clasp at the back so you can get out of it, or else you'll be hanging a strapless dress from your neck and choking every time you wear it. This is one of those situation where a picture is worth a thousand words - it will probably be much simpler if you just get some ribbon and play with wrapping it.

Those beads are crystal drops - that exact shape might be hard to find. They look flat, like chandelier crystals.  However, crystal drops in a round teardrop or diamond shape are easy to find. They have holes either in the top, across the narrow end, or running through the length of the bead.  You'll want the ones with the holes across the top - just stitch them to the ribbon where you want them.

Hope that's somewhat intelligible, I could show you in five minutes but my technical writing is a bit rusty.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get an Updo for Christmas
Backstage Hair at Monique Lhuillier Spring 2014
A Fast and Easy Hairstyle for Curly Hair Tutorial
Do Beards Breed Discrimination?
The Year Of The Beard
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...