A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 299,174
Currently Running With Scissors:
573 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Recovering a filofax  (Read 633 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: July 13, 2011 04:49:45 AM »

I'm not sure if this is the right topic for this, so sorry if it's in the wrong place.

I have a grubby filofax that currently has a red pleather cover, and I'm thinking of recovering it but I'm not sure how. I thought about fabric, particularly oilcloth but am not too sure how to go about it. I was thinking of using mod podge, but haven't used it before so not too sure what the easiest way is.

Any suggestions please?
willow wares
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011 03:33:21 AM »

If you're doing fabric, I have had great sucess covering solid surfaces (like wood) with fabric using Elmer's spray adhesive.  It does a great job if I spray just the solid surface then stick it on.  And this stuff is REALLy sticky, so I take the item I'm spraying and put it on newspaper so I don't get the adhesive on anything else. 
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011 02:02:20 PM »

Is that stuff available in the UK? I've never heard of it! Or would any strong spray adhesive work (have never used it). Thanks  Smiley
willow wares
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011 07:47:00 PM »

Well I'm not an expert on what's available in the UK, but a brief browsing of the UK Amazon didn't find it.  This looks to be the same stuff, however:
Trying to recycle myself
Offline Offline

Posts: 26
Joined: 15-Apr-2011

Reduced Reused Revamped Recycled: Reloved Remnants

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011 01:18:09 AM »

Elmers is the same as Spray Mount. I used both when working for a commercial artist.

Spray Mount will allow you to move the material until it is properly placed. Then you leave it to dry and it shouldn't move.

I haven't tried it on filofaxes but have recovered tatty folders with some success.

You can get Spray Mount, and generic versions, in any art or craft shop.

Good luck

Slowly but surely.... I will!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The New Camera Raw in Photoshop CS6
How to Draw Spider Monkey from Ben 10 Alien Force
How to Draw Anais The Amazing World of Gumball
How to Draw an Orca Whale
How to Draw Amy Wong from Futurama
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!

Copyright ©2003-2014, Craftster.org an Internet Brands company.