A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,546
Currently Running With Scissors:
574 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Trouble working in row's instead of spirals....please help!  (Read 704 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ZoeyQ
« on: July 02, 2011 04:35:29 PM »

Hi all,

For the first time I'm working on a pattern which is in row's instead of spirals. I checked out how working in row's works and see everywhere you do a sl st to attach your last stitch to the the first of the row to close it and than a ch of 1. But when I do that I get one stitch to many...which seems logical because I add that one with that chain of 1 don't I? I don't get it....

For example: My first round has eight stitches after my sl st. like it should. Than I add my chain of 1 and start on round two which says, 2 sc in each st around - 16. But guess what, when I'm at 16 I still have one stitch left...the ch of one....

It doesn't say ch 1 at the beginning of each round in the pattern but does say 'this is in rounds so don't forget the sl st at the end of each row'.
Can I skip that chain of 1? I understood that's a must when you work in rounds, to go 'round up'.

Note: after my ch of 1, I hook into the stitch closest to the hook but not on the hook for my first sc.

Can anybody help please? I don't get this  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Made possible by sheep!
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011 06:42:06 PM »

ch1 typically doesn't count as a stitch and is thus ignored - don't work stitches into it, just skip it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ZoeyQ
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011 03:36:49 AM »

Ok, really? So I have to just skip that 17th stitch and so on in the next rows? I guess that will form that seem then will it?

Thanks fantasticmio.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Made possible by sheep!
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011 06:28:12 AM »

Well, you skip the ch1, not the sc stitches.

It will make a seam, though, yes. I have heard that there are tricks to making the seam either invisible or at least nicer-looking, but I haven't looked into them (I don't find myself doing sc in the round very often).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ZoeyQ
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011 10:47:21 AM »

Well then, screw the row's. I don't want my ami Link to have an ugly back with a seem. And since I'm changing the pattern a lot anyway, I think it won't be a disaster if I ignore the row's and go happy spiral. Saves a lot of trouble while rewriting it too, since I have zip experience with working in the row.

Thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Made possible by sheep!
kellymarie1537
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011 05:38:28 PM »

When I have to work in rows, I count stitches. So if the project I'm doing has 14 stitches across I count 14, chain 1 in last stitch worked and crochet in same stitch (count 1) and then count until I have the correct amount of stitches. I find when I do this, I don't get that wave and it becomes more of a straight line.

Hope that helped, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ZoeyQ
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011 03:31:50 PM »

Thanks Kelliemarie,

I already found out how it works, I stumbled upon a pattern which said exactly what to do, so I worked in rounds not knowing till I realised it! I did it like you  Smiley I had to join with sl st, so that did get the count right.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Made possible by sheep!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make the Perfect Cheeseburger
Cooking Mac and Cheese With Kids
Rotisserie Chicken Mac and Cheese Recipe
Fire Up The BBQ!
The Best Burger
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...