A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,194
Currently Running With Scissors:
620 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Will I Always Be "Becky-Home-Ecky?"  (Read 1334 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Maggiedoll
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011 07:04:40 PM »

Fishstix, why don't you start a blog?
Really, even reader comments aside, it's a great way to think about what you've made, explain it to yourself and other people, and consider ways to improve it.  
They always say that to really understand something, you have to teach it.  Blogging is a great way of approaching that.  

Oh, and one more thing.. the other day I was criticizing the envelope photo of one of the new Vogue patterns (1251) and someone commented about how they better be careful about putting their own stuff up since that looked more than fine to them.  But it's a different standard.  It's Vogue's pattern, and it's an advertisement photo, meant to get people to buy the pattern.  And they get to pick the model!  If the company making the pattern can't make it look well fitted and pressed on the model chosen to model the pattern, that says more about the pattern than some imperfections in the final garment made by anybody else.  It's their pattern and their advertisement, their design and all their choices.  They can pick somebody with the perfect body type to make the pattern fit correctly, even if it's a difficult-to-wear pattern that would look right only on an unusual body shape.  That envelope cover should make the pattern look as good as it could possibly look.  If it doesn't look perfect, it makes you wonder if there are just flaws in the pattern.  I wouldn't criticize an individual seamstress in nearly the same way.  

I'd love to hear what sewing blogs other people read.  I'm always looking for new and interesting sewing blogs, but I mostly find them just through blogrolls-- searching never seems to work very well.  Usually I stumble across new blogs by chance.  
I'm especially fond of costuming and corsetry blogs.  (Already follow Bridges on the Body..  and the Corsetmakers LJ group..)

ETA: Oh, and smaller beginner blogs, of course.  Especially blogs of other crazy people who, rather than starting by sewing things that are easier, just dive in and make corsets and jeans and such.
The little blogs that can establish all sorts of fun interblog commenting and referencing..
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011 07:30:09 PM by Maggiedoll » THIS ROCKS   Logged

lylacfey
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011 05:04:15 AM »

Life is too short to read discouraging blogs. Really, if they upset you, don't read them. Elitism is not nice in any field of endeavour and tends (to me) to smack of insecurity.

I will remember this always. I come across the same blogs in other forms of crafting.

fishstix- I bet your work is beautiful. Don't let those blogs get you down. So many blogs nowadays are about money. Next year those girls could be screaming that couture is out and homemade is in.

Don't let their level of expertise make you nervous. They were newbies at sewing machines too at one time.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/97658832@N05/

My Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/gelyafey/

Organize your life around your dreams and watch them come true.
fishstix43

Crafting is a state of mind.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011 07:21:02 AM »

Maggiedoll- thanks for all those sources!  (Yet another thing to distract me at work... Wink)  And I've always thought that I don't do enough sewing to make a blog interesting at all, but maybe I'll just do it anyway...what's the worst that could happen, right?

Honeythief- I've been over to patternreview once or twice, but had trouble navigating it, but I'll have to give it a better try soon!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Maggiedoll
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2011 01:57:37 PM »

Maggiedoll- thanks for all those sources!  (Yet another thing to distract me at work... Wink)  And I've always thought that I don't do enough sewing to make a blog interesting at all, but maybe I'll just do it anyway...what's the worst that could happen, right?
Worst thing I can think of is that you'd start thinking of it as a popularity contest and get discouraged if you didn't have "enough" followers or post "enough" or generally started making value judgments about your merits as a blogger. 

There are all those "how to blog well" articles that say things like "there are three kinds of bloggers: those who are successful, those who fail, and those who are delusional and think they don't care how many readers they have."  I consider that a supremely awful mindset to have for sewblogging, especially if you're trying to chronicle what you're learning.  I think it's better to approach it from a "publicly-accessible journal/record of your progress" angle and think of it as a method of recording your own progress that also doubles as a method of receiving feedback on your work.  Sew-blogging is a very niche-y thing, there aren't many sewing blogs that are "successful" by the definitions a publisher would use.  I think the sewblogging world is more like a forum bound together by links and blogrolls than it is like published writing. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fishstix43

Crafting is a state of mind.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2011 05:32:51 AM »

Well, thanks to your encouragement, here we go.  Shiny new blog: http://sewingforreallife.blogspot.com/ 

Never thought that's where this thread would go, but I think it will be interesting.  And don't worry maggiedoll, I have no illusions about becoming a "successful" blogger, though the idea of people actually reading what I write is kind of exciting.  I can always make my boyfriend read it, so then I have one reader at least. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2011 06:14:29 AM »

I just checked out your blog!  Smiley 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mandodeb
Viva Handmade!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2011 07:15:42 PM »

Just checked out the blog - great start!
PS: This is the first blog I've ever joined.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011 07:56:50 PM by mandodeb » THIS ROCKS   Logged
graceless lady
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2011 04:29:58 AM »

I joined, too. I think you're off to a great start. Sometimes with my blog, I ask myself, "Am I just writing to myself?" Maybe, but there's still a value in that. The blog is a chronicle of my projects, my skills, and a reflection of my day-to-day life. That's not such a bad thing, and if i manage to inspire someone else along the way, that's great. Good luck, and I'm looking forward to seeing what you do!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ScrappySue
Tutorial Contributor

Oh, not you. We named the monkey Jack.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2011 06:36:04 PM »

heya.
I get great sewing books from the opshop, fashions may change but lots of techniques don't.
My best tips for making your clothes look great are, iron your seams, as was mentioned before. I can't stess what a differance that makes.
Also topstitch edges, that can really make the differance.
and I hope you have fun!
S
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've started a wist!
http://wists.com/scrappysue
working on the Teesha Moore craftalong
Destashing the craft room
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to use REVIT MEP 2008 - Build a House in 10 Minutes
How to use REVIT MEP 2008 - Architecture Keynotes By Number
How to use REVIT MEP 2008 - Sketchup
How to use REVIT MEP 2008 - Structure Annotation Crop Region
How to use REVIT MEP 2008 - Yes No Parameter to Control Visibility
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...