A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 305,018
Currently Running With Scissors:
464 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: help, HUGE paper-mache figure  (Read 1490 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

monkeyface
« on: March 17, 2004 07:28:10 PM »

i want to make a life-size sculpture, but basically, all my figure-bases fall apart or look really awkward.  i don't know why this is so hard  Huh  has anybody done a project like this before?  thanx.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
abricot
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2004 08:04:46 PM »

Well I'd imagine creating some sort of "base" would give enough support to keep it from falling apart...

Like use something along to lines of that mesh screen stuff that you use for windows and shape it to what you want, then put the paper mache on top of that...

Maybe something else would work also?

Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lovely Craaaft! Wonderful Craaaft! Lovely Craaaft! Wonderful Craft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. <--- sing to the tune of the "Spam" song....
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2004 10:01:45 AM »

The following link is very informative about the construction of sculpture armatures.  It doesn't discuss anything life-sized for full body sculptures, but the construction techniques should still apply, and the gentleman who wrote the article also offers to help via email in any questions concerning the construction of armatures.  

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/67/70/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
CircusManager220
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2004 01:50:14 PM »

CHICKEN WIRE!

When I did all my school paper mache projects I used chicken wire as the base... And if I am a total redneck because my parents had chickens, it is the wire with holes and it molds VERY easily. You can find them with small or big holes. I think Lowe's might have it.

And my friend made a paper mache horse when she took horse back riding lessons (she hated it, since she was oldest she got to make the stupid horse!).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am Washable
holywhack

...trying to get it together

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2004 10:43:57 AM »

There's this guy out in California that's made quite a few very cool paper mache stuff, he did life-size Elvis, that now lives at some yahoo offices!!

It's really cool!!  

http://www.cockeyed.com/incredible/incredible.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craft unto others, as you would have them craft unto you...
kategirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2004 10:49:49 AM »

And if I am a total redneck because my parents had chickens, it is the wire with holes and it molds VERY easily.

aww, you're no redneck...  I know people in the middle of a suburb area in michigan that have chickens!

I second the chicken wire.  also, a large styrofoam egg shape works well as a head.  you can carve away at it a little to get basic details, or just build them up with the paper mache.  we made paper mache heads using styrofoam eggs in middle school and they turned out well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

monkeyface
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2004 03:50:18 PM »

thanks everyone.  yeah, chicken wire was my first idea, but i'm living in argentina, and i can't seem to find any.  (there are alot of useful things i can't get here - like shellac Sad )  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Reen
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2004 07:49:30 AM »

Okay, I am in a very similar situation. That is, some of the younger kids at my school are doing Peter Pan for their play this year, we're not really equipped to fly kids, so, we're making rod puppets. Rod puppets are basically giant, jointed, life sized puppets that you move around on the stage. These things have to be really big, but also light enough for 9th graders to hold up in the air, plus they have to look like the actors. I have no idea what to make the foundation out of though. What kind of stuff have you tried?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

iqjones
Who's house? Run's house!

Trying to keep it gold...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2004 09:33:00 AM »

What about wire hangers?
I used some as the base for a small-ish project & they worked really well-- not too heavy, yet substantial, and I think they are available somewhat universally.
 Substantial, reliable, ubiquitous-- I need to go find a boyfriend...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All the goo we use, reviewed!
http://brainybeautys.blogspot.com
VaxGirl
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2004 12:33:52 PM »

I love the cockeyed.com guy!  He has done some funny stuff.

If you can't find chicken wire or screen, you may be able to use aluminum foil over a simple wood form.  Think of making a simple stick figure out of wood and crumpling the foil over it.  Then apply your papier mache over that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Simon Sinek on Working With a Book Editor to Refine Your Writing
Simon Sinek on Learning a New Way to Write a Book
Simon Sinek on Improving Writing Skills by Embracing the Unfamiliar
Some Bugs by Angela DiTerlizzi
Inside Delancey with Molly Wizenberg
Latest Blog Articles
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...