A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 304,880
Currently Running With Scissors:
693 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wheelchair poncho and tutorial  (Read 4641 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jenfullmoon
« on: June 08, 2005 09:10:08 AM »

Okay, this is the first major project I've really designed by myself. My dad's in a wheelchair, and it's a real pain in the ass to get a coat on and off of him all the time. I thought it'd be nice for him to have a poncho that could just go on over his head, but had a shorter back to allow for the chair. I couldn't find any online patterns for one, though, so I had to make my own for Father's Day.

Upon finishing it, I might have made the corners less pointy...but oh well, I couldn't measure his shoulders ahead of time to get that perfect and I wanted kind of a box shape to go over the top anyway.

Pardon my crappy photography, I didn't have anyone around to take a picture of me and the lighting in my apartment stinks!

(a) Buy six skeins of Cascade 220 yarn (or just get a lot of worsted weight yarn of your own preference, doesn't matter). I used three colors. Gauge is seven stitches across and six stitches high  = 1 square inch.

(b) This pattern is knit flat, but I ended up having to use size 8 circular needles in order to make it wide enough- it didn't fit on my straights.

(c) To start either side, cast on 168 stitches in Color A. Knit for 2 inches in garter stitch, then switch to color B. Knit color B in stockinette stitch for 2 inches. Then switch to color C and knit 2 inches in garter stitch. Then switch to color A and knit 2 inches in stockinette.

(d) If you are knitting the back piece (which should be about 8 inches long- stops around the back where a chair back might go), stop at this point and bind off.

(e) If you are knitting the front piece, continue the pattern as set, alternating garter and stockinette rows, until you have six 2-inch rows of each color completed. It should optimally end slightly below the end of the person's waist. Bind off.

(f) Pin together the two pieces for 10 inches at the start of each long side, leaving a large hole for the neck. Sew the sides of the poncho together, creating a blocky shape.

Feel free to alter this around if you like, making more sloping shoulders, changing the stitches, using more or less colors, making it less wide (I was making it for a man's shoulders), whatever you need to do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ysolda
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005 09:41:49 AM »

thats a really great idea - I'm sure he'll love the gift
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitting patterns and all sorts of  crafty adventures: http://ysolda.me.uk
Mickey McMickerson

ladies is pimps too

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2005 09:44:40 AM »

Wow, that's really thoughtful! I'm sure your dad will be elated and you guys will have one less thing to worry about  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Some of these mornings and it won't be long
You're gonna wake up calling me and I'll be gone
taloola
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Midwiffin' @ Mother By Nature Midwifery!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2005 11:35:55 AM »

dude!  that is a sweet idea!  wish i had thought of it.  i take care of kids that are in wheelchairs...and every morning is a pain in the arse when we have to get their coats on for school.  its no fun getting coats on 58 children in wheelchairs.  some kids do have ponchos but they don't have that nifty back....maybe i will make these...but i dont think i can make 58 of them anytime soon.  hmmm.  good job on this...i totally understand why you made this and its awesome...the poncho is stylin' and i am sure dad will like it!

tal
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2005 02:08:16 PM »

My Oma (German grandma) has MS and is in a wheelchair, and my mother has been discussing designing a line of clothing for wheelchair-bound people.  Maybe instead we should put together a website of related patterns, or petition Knitty for next year's spring theme!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
Hyperfrec
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2005 04:59:20 PM »

Woah! Great idea!

I have a lot of friends with Muscular Dystrophy, and I work in Special Ed, so this is an AWESOME project! Thanks much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://hyperfrec.blogspot.com/

Check here for my current projects, and tutorials from the past!
squeakyweasels

Knitter, Writer, Yarner

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2005 11:01:10 AM »

That is wicked SMART! I love it when someone uses knitting to solve a problem or design something totally unique. Outstanding idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I sell ecofriendly luxury yarn, recycled at
http://stitchpop.artfire.com
lisascenic
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2005 03:59:40 PM »

It is really nice to see creative people making such caring, intelligent projects!

Good for you!  I hope your dad enjoys his stylin' poncho.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Style Wavy Hair - Diffuse with Blow-dryer
How to Style Wavy Hair - Prep
Learn to Style Wavy Hair
Learn how to Create a Fashion Forward Bob - Styling and Finishing
Learn how to Create a Fashion Forward Bob - Flat Iron
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...