A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,087
Currently Running With Scissors:
383 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need advice on blog giveaways  (Read 487 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tovaopatrny
« on: July 11, 2011 10:47:34 AM »

Hi there! 
I'm looking for advice on doing craft related blog giveaways.  My blog and site, Professor Pincushion, is still a baby and I thought doing giveaways would be a nice thing to do in order to get the word out about its existence.  Currently, I'm trying to give away this pillow I've made: 

Unfortunately, this giveaway is going the same way as my last giveaway in that I can't seem to generate any interest or participation, other than that of my mother.  I've tried to make my giveaways as easy as possible, ("like" Professor Pincushion's page on fb, follow on twitter, or just leave a comment on my pillow blog entry).  And I've made a post about it on as many craft, sewing related forums as I can.  Other than that, I don't know what else I can do and, so far, the results are pretty discouraging.  (I've participated in other blogs' giveaways and see how popular they can be.)  But for me, I'm finding that it really is hard to give something away.  Does anyone have any tricks that I'm just missing out on?  Any help would be so much appreciated.  Thank you!!!
https://www.professorpincushion.com/userblog/professorpincushion/pillow-sham
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jillybeans
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011 02:01:52 PM »

I think if you generate more popularity on this website you might get more followers onto your blog.  I know that when I'm swapping and looking at people's creations on here I tend to click on their blog that they list at the end, if they have one, to see more of what they have created.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

I've moved in May 2013!  Contact me for my new address!
AshtonagoL
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011 02:29:21 PM »

Hmm, I read a few craft blogs on blogger but I'm not real familiar with how all that blogging stuff works.  The ones I read are really popular though.  Just taking a quick look, your blog looks very different from the ones I read.  First and foremost, I can't tell how to become a follower of your blog.  Do I have to register?  How many followers do you have?  I see on FB you only have 40.  That doesn't mean that all 40 pay attention to your posts and know about the giveaway.  And those that do, just may not be interested.  Out of 40, maybe 10 will show an interest?  So maybe a lack of followers is the reason for a lack of interest in the giveaways.  I also notice that your winner will be chosen by a staff member.  That may be a turn off for some people.  They may feel they have to say "the right thing" in order to be chosen.  Where most blogs use a random generator to chose and what they say has no bearing on whether they can win or not.  Also, if I am understanding your giveaway rules correctly, you give many options for ways to enter (facebook, twitter, forum, etc.) but it looks like only one entry per person.  Is that right?  So after I "Like" you on facebook, there's no advantage for me to continue on and also join the forum.  It also says giveaway rules may change.  That can be a bit of a turnoff.  Many people who enter giveaways do nothing but look for blogs having giveaways and enter, then never check back until the winner is announced.  They aren't going to want to have to check back to see if the rules have changed.  The other noticeable difference from your blog and others that I read is the style.  Not much color or excitement.  Most popular blogs have fancy headers and backgrounds.  Use different colors and sizes of text within a post, particularly if it's a giveaway post.  They also post about what is going on in their life or little pieces of info that help you get to know them and their personality.  And if it's a blog shared between people, each post is signed by the author.  Some of the popular blogs that I read are Little Birdie Secrets http://littlebirdiesecrets.blogspot.com/, Noodlehead http://www.noodle-head.com/, Crap I've Made http://www.crapivemade.com/, and Ucreate http://www.u-createcrafts.com/.  Some of them have even posted about creating a successful blog so maybe you will find some helpful info there.  The only other reason I could see that your giveaways aren't taking off would be this..it looks like they are for items you've given a tutorial on making.  Maybe your followers aren't interested in winning it as much as making one themselves?  I don't know if I've been any help but I wish you luck!  Your pillow is great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tovaopatrny
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011 08:00:10 PM »

Thank you so much for your detailed response and advice.  Looking at things objectively, I think you gave a lot of great advice and I really appreciate your help and time with this.  thank you so much and I'll be working on making some needed changes to my blog.  If you're interested in following me, there is a subscribe to the professor pincushion newsletter (so you'll receive all updates about new blog postings).  It's on the right hand side towards the middle of the page.  you just have to enter your email address and hit subscribe.  Thanks again! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AshtonagoL
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011 05:27:02 AM »

I signed up for your newsletter and "Like" you on Facebook!  Hopefully someone here who actually has a blog of their own will have some advice for you too! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lorizathm
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011 08:01:29 PM »

http://mckmamawithoutpity.blogspot.com/2011/02/information-regarding-bloggers.html

Just make sure you follow the 'bloggers rules' that have been handed down from the FTC. And you might want to check the FTC for the guidelines although the site above gives a good overview. Just fyi.

Also, nice pillow.   Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life." -Pablo Picasso
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Poached Pears with Pistachio Brittle
Spiced Matzo Apple Cake for Passover
How to Make Coconut Macaroons
How to Make Homemade Cadbury Eggs with Cheesecake Filling
How to Bake Hamburger Cupcakes
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...