A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,579
Currently Running With Scissors:
507 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Harry Potter Recipes Collection  (Read 24396 times)
Tags for this thread: harry_potter , recipe , candy , harry_potter_party , party , cookie  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2011 01:56:58 PM »

ok, so I did a little digging, and here's where I found the Pumpkin Juice Mix recipe:
http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/features/crafts/food/pumpkinjuicemix
the "orange-flavored breakfast drink powder" is Tang, or the equivalent.
the "regular" instant tea mix is just plain, unsweetened instant tea mix. (to me, it looks like dead, dries ants, which makes more cool/disgusting, but all the more Harry Potter-ish!)
it mixes better with hot/warm liquid, and tastes good either hot or cold. (you can mix it with cool/cold liquid, but it won't dissolve everything, and some of it will sit on top or the bottom (much like tea leaves!) and the pumpkin pie spice hardly ever dissolves, unless you mix it with hot liquid.)
I hope that all makes sense!
 Grin Grin

I sent pumpkin juice mix last Deathly Hallows swap and this is the same recipe I used!!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2011 04:11:31 PM »

Here's the Tudor butterbeer recipe which I gifted to jennie in the DH1 swap. Grin (more how I envisioned butterbeer, not the usual cream soda based drink...though the cream soda version is tasty)   I'll be back with my Three Broomstick Beer Bread, Luna Snack Mix, and more recipes soon! Cool

Butterbeers all around!
Cheers to Professor Jennie!
CHEERS!

To make Buttered Beere From, The Good Huswifes Handmaide for the Kitchin (published in London 1588 AD): Take three pintes of Beere, put five yolkes of Egges to it, straine them together, and set it in a pewter pot to the fyre, and put to it halfe a pound of Sugar, one penniworth of Nutmegs beaten, one penniworth of Cloves beaten, and a halfepenniworth of Ginger beaten, and when it is all in, take another pewter pot and brewe them together, and set it to the fire againe, and when it is readie to boyle, take it from the fire, and put a dish of sweet butter into it, and brewe them together out of one pot into an other.

Tudor Butterbeer

Recipe Ingredients:
   1500 ml (3 bottles) of good quality real ale
   1/4 tsp ground ginger
   1/2 tsp ground cloves
   1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
   200g demerara (brown) sugar (adjust to taste)
   5 egg yolks (yolks only are needed)
   120g unsalted butter (diced)
For The Chilled or Warm Milk Version
   1500 ml of chilled or warm butter beer (as above).
   1500 ml of cold or warm milk to mix with the butter beer

1. Pour the ale into a saucepan and stir in the ground ginger, cloves and nutmeg. Gently heat mixture to the boil, then turn down the heat and simmer on a low heat the frothy ale will now clear. For adults then only simmer a few minutes on a low heat; for minors, heat the ale like this for 20 minutes at 140C or 284Fto burn off almost all of the alcohol.
2. Whisk the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl until light and creamy. However the amount of sugar stated is from the authentic recipe (if it comes out too sweet for you, make it again using less sugar next time)..
3. Once ale is simmering, remove the pan from the heat and add the egg yolk and sugar mixture, stir constantly and return to a low heat, (you must stir constantly) until the liquid starts to thicken slightly. Be careful not to let the saucepan get too hot again or the egg yolks will scramble and the sugar burn on the bottom before dissolving. Simmer at this low temperature for 3 minutes.
4. After 3 minutes, remove the pan from the heat and stir in the diced butter until it melts. Then froth the Butterbeer mixture with a hand-whisk until it looks like frothy, milky tea. Allow to cool to a warm drinkable temperature, pour into small glasses or small tankards, and serve immediately.

Chilled or Warm Milk Butter Beer
Chilled: make the butterbeer as above, then leave to cool completely and chill in the fridge.  Then, using a blender to break up any lumps that may have formed during chilling, blend the Butter Beer (in small batches) with some chilled whole-fat milk in a 1:1 ratio before serving.
Warm: make the butterbeer as above, and after adding in the butter and melting it, add in the  whole-fat milk to the saucepan in a 1:1 ratio and return for two minutes on a gentle heat to warm through. Froth with a whisk and serve.  You will still be able to taste the authentic Tudor Butterbeers hoppy flavour, along with the sweet sugary caramel and winter spices, but this has a more gentle taste to the original, the milk giving it a rounder, subtler taste, which is very drinkable and enjoyable.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011 04:09:54 PM by pinkleo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Angry Angel
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2011 12:49:55 AM »

That sounds amazing, and definitely much more what I think of as butterbeer. I'll have to give it a try, thanks for posting it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

adelestlg
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2011 03:03:50 PM »

Thanks for the links. I plan on using some of those recipes to help me host a Harry Potter party.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Calabaza
Tutorial Contributor

It's a long story.

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2011 04:26:42 PM »

Butterbeer Cookies in a Jar:
I made these cookies with white chocolate chips instead of nuts (because I was in a hurry and didn't have nuts). SO GOOD! All the while I was thinking "this isn't going to work, it's to dry, it isn't coming together like 'normal' cookies" but they turned out perfectly chewy and soooo tasty and looked just like "normal" cookies!

Thank you, Abbeeroad! I won't doubt you again  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nachturnal
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2011 06:21:09 AM »

<post removed for brevity>

What exactly is "real ale"?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
blushingbluegrass

Bowl of Petunias: Oh no, not again.

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2011 03:59:26 AM »

I think she is referring to the type of beer known as ale.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am the Lorax who speaks for the trees, which you seem to be chopping as fast as you please.

wisting on a star....
nachturnal
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2011 05:18:48 AM »

I think she is referring to the type of beer known as ale.

I thought so.  I wasn't sure whether pinkleo meant pale-ale or ginger-ale or IPA or what.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2011 06:41:59 AM »

For those of you who are interested, I've just added three new recipe links to the list...  Butterbeer Jelly Shots, Chocolate Frog Jelly Shots (alcoholic "jello" shot actually shaped like a chocolate frog!), Polyjuice Potion Jelly Shot, all from Jelly Shot Test Kitchen. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Facebook | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2011 06:45:30 AM »

Butterbeer Cookies in a Jar:
I made these cookies with white chocolate chips instead of nuts (because I was in a hurry and didn't have nuts). SO GOOD! All the while I was thinking "this isn't going to work, it's to dry, it isn't coming together like 'normal' cookies" but they turned out perfectly chewy and soooo tasty and looked just like "normal" cookies!

Thank you, Abbeeroad! I won't doubt you again  Cheesy

Yay!  So glad you liked them!  Sorry for the pre-baking worry!  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Intricate Food Inspired Jewelry
How to Make a Heart Necklace
About the Expert: Courtney Gray
Handmade Portraits: Brooklyn Watches
How to Turn Old Watch Faces Into a Bracelet
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...