A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,613
Currently Running With Scissors:
773 Guests and 38 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: pearls of wisdom: what do you know now...  (Read 55903 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Darkest_Faerie
« Reply #90 on: April 25, 2006 11:46:40 AM »

Yes!! Bringing stuff around with you is always great!!! I've sold lots that way...I sold $45 worth of stuff one day, and from bringing that stuff to show a customer I sold another item to someone else...it was great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-See my photography here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/traceylheureux/
-Visit my blog here: http://tinystarcreations.blogspot.com/
-Check out my zazzle site here:
http://www.zazzle.com/paper_airplane*
Mikaiyawa

Some things must be believed to be seen. -Einstien

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: April 25, 2006 02:09:22 PM »

I can vote for the take inventory.  Last weekend we visited my in laws and made back the cost of the gas ($50 a tank for Lance's car) by going shopping and me selling a piece right off my neck to a lady at the store.

That sale paid for dinner last night too, $70 for an impulse buy from someone else is pretty darn good.

Mieka
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance. - Will Durant
AmeliaMay
« Reply #92 on: May 16, 2006 03:30:29 AM »

This thread rocks!

I heard this at Australian Fashion Week, but it still applies to craft - Wear your own stuff! There's no better advertisement than being able to say "I made it myself".

Secondly, if you don't have a website get one. More and more people are choosing to shop online, even people who don't intend to buy online still like to browse this way, it's quick, easy and there are no sales people pressuring you to buy or glaring at you just in case you steal something.

If you already have a website the most important thing to remember is that it must be useable. Can people it navigate easily, eg. if you sell clothing could some one looking for a pair of socks go to your index page and know exactly where to go to find your socks? Calling things "squiggily, wiggily, piggy warmers" might sound cute, but it can be confusing to your potential customers. Is you're site readable? Can people tell which are the links and which is plan text? If you're not sure about this kind of thing hire some one who is - you don't need to spend a small fortune on this either, there are plenty of designers who don't charge the earth.

I always recommend people use a content management system, they make life so much easier. Once you've installed your template you don't need to touch the html again and they make yourself quick to update. Wordpress is great and free. Combine it with paypal and you're away.

That said, keep your site up to date. You don't want people trying to order something that you're out of, particularly if they've already paid via paypal or something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hbic
Home Deconomics

A little home ec, a little home dec

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: June 15, 2006 01:07:20 PM »

My advice?
Re-read forums like this over and over. I find that at each stage of growing my business I'm in need of different info. Once I overcome one hurdle I address the next one and come back to see what didnt sink in the last time through.

Right now I've reached an expansion point and I've commited to growing bigger- ordering huge amounts of supplies to save money, going to online sales etc. By re-reading this thread again I came across some excellent posts regarding these things. Right now I'm chomping at the bit to get my sight up so I can really hand out my business cards en masse, add my site link (is that called a signature?) at the bottom of posts like this, advertise through Bust (LOVE Bust's Girl Wide Web) and more. But now I'm wondering if I can keep up! I'm already thinking of finding sewing help-much much sooner than I was prepared to.

Also, instead of being overwhelmed by all the new skills you have to pick up, make a distinct effort to take pride in every step you take. It's so easy to get bogged down and overwhelmed with all that needs to be done. I get very frustrared with my website development but then I remind myself that I taught myself an unfamiliar program and designed my own business cards, website, catalog, inventory forms etc. It really makes me proud to think of it. Hold on to those moments. And brag! We need all the encouragement we can get!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hand made home decor
stonelotus
« Reply #94 on: June 19, 2006 07:19:38 AM »

Ditto with wearing/carrying your product around and carrying business cards!

I try to wear my pendants around whenever I can and sometimes they sell right off of my neck :-D
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aessedai
« Reply #95 on: July 15, 2006 06:18:33 PM »

A page back, I read a post in which a business owner said that she knew most of her website hits came from a specific website where she advertised. I've heard others say something about knowing who sees their website or where their hits come from. Can anyone tell me how one would figure this out?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.hearthandcreations.com

hearttohandcreation s.etsy.com
arrhythmia
« Reply #96 on: July 15, 2006 07:34:04 PM »

Try www.statcounter.com. It's a free counter that you can set up so only you see. It tells you where the visitors come from and what pages they look at(if you put the code on all your webpages). Did I say it was free?Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

EmilyFlew
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

..sweets4ever is so rad..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: July 23, 2006 12:01:07 PM »

Sometimes your website host will also tell you where people are coming from. For example, I use GoDaddy and they have a traffic tracker that comes with the hosting. Statcounter is great too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

technocutie, handmade iPod cases and felt accoutrements
thoughts and days.

I <3 the mod squad ladies!
Darkest_Faerie
« Reply #98 on: July 23, 2006 12:06:27 PM »

I work in a retail store and we sell some jewelry but not too much. Sometimes when people are finding something specific that we dont have I ask what it is that they are looking for and then quickly think if I have those materials or not. Then if I do I mention that I would probably be able to make it for them and that it would cost approximatly so much and to come back tomorrow.

I've only done this once so far because that was the only one with the materials that I had. (This cute little kid was looking for a skull necklace and well in our town you cant find ANYTHING "cool" so I told him that I would make one and he came back to buy it!!! That was so awesome!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-See my photography here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/traceylheureux/
-Visit my blog here: http://tinystarcreations.blogspot.com/
-Check out my zazzle site here:
http://www.zazzle.com/paper_airplane*
yarncookie
« Reply #99 on: August 07, 2006 07:56:19 AM »

OK i know this has  been said before but Im going to say it again because its so important.

LINK LINK LINK- to all your friends websites, even (especially if they are noncrafty) You will get traffic from different knids of people that could be willing to spend the money on your wares.

Give (or sell cheap) to some friends/aquantances/family so they can wear it around and reccomend your shop to anyone who asks.

Make sure your hearts in it cuz you don't want crafting to seem like a chore.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look at me, I'm on TV, it makes up for the shortcomings of being poor. Now I'm in a million pieces picked up for deliberation by the people listening at home, by the people watching on the telly...
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Comics Run: Saga Number 1
The Comics Run: Batman Night of the Owls
The Comics Run: Avengers VS. X-Men Resumed
The Comics Run: Avengers VS. X-Men
Using Floppy Disks as Art Canvas
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...