A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,507
Currently Running With Scissors:
485 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Purple Shrug  (Read 2141 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lemairia
« on: June 07, 2005 06:21:20 PM »

Okay, so this is my first posting of a completed project--this whole technology thing is pretty cool (but confusing for those of us who learned how to center text on a typewriter... )

I decided that I really wanted to start making shurgs, but couldn't find a pattern that seemed to fit the bll at my local fabric store.  So here's what I came up with:

The front view

The back view

The fabric is a very stretchy cotton/spandex sparkly plum purple.  Pattern still needs some tweaking, but tell me what you think.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LeMair Handcrafts
unique handcrafted items for modern living
www.lemairhandcrafts.com
ConcreteJungler
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2005 10:13:19 PM »

That is wonderful.  Did it take long?  Do you add lining?  It looks really cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
princessliak
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2005 06:16:20 AM »

That is love-er-ly!  Fantastic, I just bought and made a shrug that ties in the front from a McCalls pattern yesterday.  It worked all right, but I need to reword it also.  I want it more croppy like yours!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There are so many ways to die without losing your life.

www.baskinginbliss.blogspot.com
www.lulu.com/content/292980
Kaka

brazillian grrrl

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2005 06:21:26 AM »

ohmygod! this is EXACTLY what I wanted! Im seaching for a shrug just like yours for days. It fits you so good...
gorgeous!
could you please please please share your pattern with us?
great job! Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lemairia
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2005 06:26:16 AM »

That is wonderful.  Did it take long?  Do you add lining?  It looks really cute.

No this was a quick little project to make.  It's not lined, just one layer of stretchy stuff.  And, it SPARKLES!  What's not to love ;-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LeMair Handcrafts
www.lemairhandcrafts.com
lemairia
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2005 06:33:00 AM »

ohmygod! this is EXACTLY what I wanted! Im seaching for a shrug just like yours for days. It fits you so good...
gorgeous!
could you please please please share your pattern with us?
great job! Kiss

My pattern.... I'd checked out a Burda pattern so had some rough sense of what shape I needed.  Think of it as a big rectangle that you'll sew into a tube.  Modify the rectangle so that it tapers at the ends (to your wrists), leaving enough fullness for your bicep (likely the fullest part of your arm) and shoulder, and leave the rectangle's original full height across what will be the back.  Measure across your back at your shoulders to determine how big an opening you should leave in the tube when you sew it, making sure to give yourself some breathing room.

Hope that makes some sense.  I bought inexpensive fabric for this first try precisely because I had no idea what I was doing!

Thanks so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LeMair Handcrafts
www.lemairhandcrafts.com
Kaka

brazillian grrrl

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2005 07:26:03 AM »

I think I got it...
Ill try to sew one...
THANK YOU!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

justxlove
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2005 07:20:26 AM »

you did a really great job.
i love these things.
i want one.
maybe ill learn how to use a sewing machine just for that.
ha.
<3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sure shes got everything ive got gadgets and gizmos  of plenty ive got whozits and whatzits galore you want thingamabobs ive got twenty but who cares no big deal i want more
lemairia
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2005 07:47:33 AM »

If you're afraid of sewing your fingers to the fabric, this would be pretty easy to do by hand instead of with the machine. 

But really, learning to sew is like learning to drive.  It takes practice, and once you accept that it's not totally essential to understand all of the inner workings of the thing (I mean, really, who understands exactly how internal combustion works?!), you can build up some confidence.  Buy some cheap fabric, or recycle old sheets, or any other non-stretchy, not-too-thick, not slippery fabric (i.e., cotton or cotton/poly blend), and practice making basic straight seams.  Soon you'll wonder what all the fuss was about.  (Which is about the point that you're convinced you know exactly what you're doing and the machine takes over and shows you how wrong you are, but that's a story for another day...)

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LeMair Handcrafts
www.lemairhandcrafts.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Five Basic Korean Recipes
Five Classic Thai Recipes
How to Make a Beef Satay with Peanut-Ginger Ramen
How to Make Asian Beef Skewers with Scallions
How to Make a Japanese Beef and Potato Stew
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...