A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,046
Currently Running With Scissors:
544 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mademoiselle Ensemble for Steampunk Croquet [NOW IMG HVY!!]  (Read 4471 times)
Tags for this thread: steampunk  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

graverobbergirl
« on: July 10, 2011 04:35:12 PM »

(For my birthday party), we had a Steampunk croquet match (with the captaincy of an airship in the balance). Being the first mate to The Magpie, my character (originally from the city-state of Montreal, lieutenant in the Brotherhood of Reformed AirShip Scoundrels) was responsible for hosting the tournament as per instructed by the late captain's will.

I made everything from the topper to the hem. (Parasol & Boots were acquired, squirt gun was altered and 'catridges' were purchased). Corset, bustle pad, bustle (underneath/not visible except in their aiding the form/figure). Top hat, fossil necklace, catridge belts & holster, goggles, lace gloves. Basque & skirts from Riding Habit pattern draft ca. 1891 (from Authentic Victroian Fashion patterns, a collection edited by Kristina Harris) in plum coloured 'silkessence' I got for $1.50/yd on sale (woo!)

Okay, I was too lazy before, but here is the EPIC 'MAKING OF' PART:

Okay, so now that I am not in a completely lazy mood, some details of this epic project...

THE CORSET: I already posted this along with the underpinnings I made (I think in the Historic Craft-A-Long). I forewent the Chemise & Drawers for fear of overheating...

Butterick 4254, lengthened because this pattern apparently runs short in the torso, which is odd because I am short-to-average in that measure.

THE SKIRT: This definitely required a mock-up (also to see how much size adjustment was needed from the Victorian Standard... surprisingly little actually).

So this patter draft just says that the skirts can be tied up for walking (it's a riding habit) but does not indicate where these ties should be placed...

After I figured out the draping (which again, was surprisingly not as difficult as I thought it would be, based upon the bizarre shape on the skirt -only a front and back piece with around 9 large darts, if I remember correctly)

Definitely needs a bustle! Poor, flacid skirt...

The Bustle (Laughing Moon#112 View E-very nice pattern!) Fits me better than my skinny-butt display dressform (which is several sizes smaller than myself but was extremely affordable)

I ended up going with this 'silkessence' I got at Jo-Ann Fabrics for about $1.50/yd. WOO! It was not wide enough for the skirt pieces, so I decided that a rough 'patched together' look was the theme with this, which is fitting for airship pirate... (under the theory that this outfit was 'acquired' in decent shape but has had to been made to last.)

THE BASQUE: Going with the roughened (and it's going to be hot outside) theme, I opted for ripped-off sleeve effect). Instead of using the Riding Habit Basque pattern draft, I altered one that I had already scaled up to fit, since they were the same basic shape (placement of darts, etc.), altering the bottom of the center front and the tail at the back a bit.

I apparently did not get pictures of the Basque on its own, but paired with my catrige belts (also made by me).

GUNBELTS & GUN: $1 Squirtgun combined with perfume bottles (acquired in bulk) = Handheld Hydraetheric Weapon

Gunbelts In-Progress (attaching elastic to polypoplin belt base)

In Action (I also made the Cowgirl's outfit... Blouse, waistcinch, bloomers, gunbelts, altered/painted squirtguns)

THE TOPPER: I've only ever made fabric hats (of the sun hat and newsboy variety) or mini-fascinator styles. But a full topper had to be had... don't ask me why... Found this fairly helpful (if somewhat disorganized) 'how to' http://www.lynnmcmasters.com/Flare1.html

In-Progress, with the buckram frame almost finished

Well, there we have it... phew...
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011 07:44:20 PM by graverobbergirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Duct tape? That stuff's a rip-off! I make my own tape."-Joe Garrelli, Newsradio

My Etsy

Just Another Crafting Blog
Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you.

Nerding along...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011 04:37:18 PM »

Wow, fantastic - and I'm seriously envious of you playing Steampunk Croquet!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Proud member of SEEN: the Society of Ernestly Embroidering Nerds

http://ernestthesiger.org
Purpley Goodness

Increase The Peace!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011 02:59:58 AM »

It's all amazing and it rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PrincessPickles
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011 10:14:15 AM »

This is amazing.  I would love to own something like that, let alone make it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
catastrophe
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011 09:56:49 PM »

Absolutely wonderful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Li Is a Dram, From Which W First Must Wak Bor W May Dram Again
kraize4step
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011 07:33:54 PM »

WOW!!! so much work went into this. Its so cute!!! Nice work, it definately paid off
THIS ROCKS   Logged

^.^ desire to be you ^.^
Supermutts
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011 06:18:20 PM »

Best croquet game ever!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty." -Captain Mal
Evie Lynn
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011 07:30:07 AM »

An amazingly detailed outfit (can't imagine how many hours you put into that) and an amazingly fun birthday, from the looks of things.  Lovely!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Acherontia Aether

Morbid butterfly

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2011 04:18:29 PM »

This rocks like an airship in turbulence. I love all of it the design the colours and the fact that you made it.  Grin Once I have made my onslaught of september birthdays I'm want to make a steampunk costume. I have a character in mind. Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

etsy.com/nz/shop/TriskeleCrafts

facebook.com/TriskeleNZ
miasu
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011 09:51:30 AM »

The amount of work that went into this is amazing! Congratulations for being awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Summer 2013 Essential Swimwear
How to Dress Like Model Cara Delevingne
How to Get the Mila Kunis Look
How to Get a Great Wedding Guest Look
The Fashion Industry Needs To Nix Body Labels
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Patriotic Planter
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...