A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,549
Currently Running With Scissors:
736 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fabric, Polyclay, and Electricity...My Pet Vampire Squid  (Read 2746 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

suereal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

Only the curious have something to find.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 09, 2011 11:56:46 PM »

I just learned how to sew soft electronics a few weeks ago.  My first project is  here:  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=384065.msg4548312#msg4548312
I also recently designed a little kawahii type critter named DeepDeep.  His story is here:  http://suereal.weebly.com/deepdeep--co.html

So when I saw the mixed media challenge (and I had missed the electric challenge), it seemed like a good excuse to play around with both.

So I figured out what size I wanted him and drew a picture.  I'm working on a silicon mat, so I can see my sketch.   I had made some fabric a few months ago by laying out threads on denim and covering it with netting and scribble sewing all over it.  So I used that as the band all this would get attached to.

I did run into a bit of a snag at one point.  I couldn't find a sew on battery holder for the size battery I wanted to use in our area.  So, I do what I do when I can't find info...goggle it.  I was sent to the amazing instructibles site where I found this:  http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-Small-Battery-Holders/step8/3V-Battery-Holder-glue-positive/.  I wanted it to slip in side ways, so I had to rethink it a bit, but I just built the glue up slowly, and it was pretty easy.  The instructible said to oil the battery, but I used some plastic wrap.  I had to scrape the wrap off the metal strips though.

And here is the part where I feel all happy and smug cause it worked!!

I've sewed the battery pack on, and I'm trying to figure the placement of everything.

And testing those connections....YEAH!  You can see the snap at the back.  That is the switch in this case.  When it's snapped, it's on.

Here's DeepDeep all sewed down and varnished.  I sewed polar fleece on the back to cover the conductive threads.

Now originally, I was thinking it would be a wrist cuff.  But poly clay doesn't bend, and I didn't get enough of a bend in to start.  SO now it is a lamp cozy Grin

I love how his eyes glow.  Just like the real vampire squids Grin
Thanks for looking!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

To all past swap partners....If something I made you fell apart in some way, it would be helpful to me if you PMed me and told me about it.  Sometimes, I try new things, and if they fail, it helps me to know
Interrobam
she-who-is-relatively-good-at-several-things

as human as humanly possible

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011 06:29:11 AM »

That's so cute! Too bad you can't use it as a wristband, but it looks like it would be an awesome nightlight.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mini Halloween Swap: Package: SENT and RECEIVED

Pinterest
babalina58
Friends don't let friends craft alone :)

4 wheels move the body 2 wheels free the soul!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011 06:40:29 AM »

As always you rock chick...this is so fun I hope you do well in this challenge as IMO you always rock them out of the park! Your so fun and talented.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/babalina58/

I am able to do personal swaps again so lets get some going Cheesy
suereal

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011 09:39:55 AM »

I'm bumbed about it not working as a wrist cuff. But out of lemons you have to make lamp warmers...or something like that..

I found some red wool just yesterday, while digging for something else, that wold have worked perfectly. SO, I'm hoping to continue to be motivated after this wee vaycay I'm heading out on today, and remake it.

And to babs...No....YOU rock!  And your my favo cheerleader Grin
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011 09:40:45 AM by suereal » THIS ROCKS   Logged

To all past swap partners....If something I made you fell apart in some way, it would be helpful to me if you PMed me and told me about it.  Sometimes, I try new things, and if they fail, it helps me to know
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011 12:05:35 PM »

suereal, you make the wildest things, and I mean that in a good way.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like it? Check out my newly re-opened Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
suereal

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011 04:16:26 PM »

That means allot to me rackycoo.  Cause I think you make some pretty wild things too some times, so you must know what your talking about.  Besides, you want my dog (his name is COSMO)(but you can't have him...) Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011 04:19:57 PM »

Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like it? Check out my newly re-opened Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do a Cute Braided Style
How to Get Big, Sexy Curls
How to Trim Your Own Hair
How to Fight Frizz with a Voluminous Bun
Shocking Things Your Hair Says About You
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...