A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 300,871
Currently Running With Scissors:
621 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Iron-on transfer jewelry??  (Read 505 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Cakefortwo
« on: July 21, 2011 09:17:05 PM »

During a huge fiasco that involved moving to my fiance's house and back again (looooong story...) i managed to go through my hulking tubs of art supplies i've been hoarding saving -- ever since i could hold a glue stick. Anyway, i've been itching to make some jewelry since my busom is bare, and i decided to go through some of my older stuff and stash-bust some of it, and then came across these:

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/284002_2088712411895_1067746976_32312866_3837282_n.jpg
(Sorry for the link! can't post pictures just yet <3)

They're iron-on transfers from an oooooold teen magazine (i think it's teen-vogue now? not sure...) but they came as samples in one of the mags and i kept them for no real reason other than they were pretty and i couldn't live with myself if i just threw them away!

Well, armed with these beauties, and a bottle of modge-podge, i beseech thee -- how on earth could i make these into jewelry!?

I've thought about doing the scrabble-tiles, but it poses a couple of problems:
  • 1) All of the gorgeous color on these are on the wrong side!
  • 2) Nearly all of the images are bigger than a scrabble tile, and though i'm not above cropping things, i'm still not sure what to do with the big ones i don't have the heart to crop! (there's a HUGE butterfly that's begging to be a pendant...)
  • 3) I'd rather not have to iron them onto anything like felt since i want them shiny (again, like the bubble-effect the scrabble tiles have) and felt kinda.. well.. absorbs everything o.O

So if you guys have any ideas or inspirational photos, i'd love to see them! <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged
burntspaghetti
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011 02:39:09 AM »

My thought was that you could iron them on to white fabric and sew on seed beads etc as extra decoration. Then you could cut them out and back them with something sturdier, perhaps the felt. You can then easily attach jump rings and chain, something like this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crazydoc
"Never, ever give up" - Winston Churchill "Never, ever grow up" - Dr. Seuss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011 04:20:43 AM »

How about something simple?

Get a piece of something stiff yet flexible-ish (e.g., poster board, stiff felt, thinnish cardboard), and cut them to match the iron on. Mode podge those babies right up, paper punch a hole, and VOILA!

Good luck,
~CD~
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shhhhhhhhh...it's Strictly Top Secret...
strictlytopsecret.etsy.com
Noxika
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011 06:05:53 AM »

You could try image-transfering it on to polymer clay ..maybe? Good luck with whatever way you go.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LilLouLouBell
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011 10:23:19 AM »

When I worked in a craft store I had a customer in a similar predicament.  We rolled white sculpey into 1/8 inch sheets and cut out tiles in the shape of the transfers she wanted to use.  While the tiles baked off, we transferred the imaged to white cotton.  With a little bit of fabric modge podge, some enamel paint, glitter, sequins, and a few bails, she had some very nice pendants to work with. 

I hope this helps!  Smiley

Good luck and good crafting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The gratification comes in doing, not in the results."

http://wists.com/LilLouLouBell
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Make Gluten Free Flatbread
How to Make Last Supper Tarragon Peas with Carla Hall
How to Make Veggie Jambalaya
Sourdough Waffle Recipe
Sour Cream Waffle Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...