Full post with pictures at http://www.sisteroo.com/2011/06/sparkle-gemmy-cupcakes.html
Sisteroos, since you all know that my baking ranges from "moderately edible" to "dumpster-worthy," I had to come up with a creative way to compete with you on equal terms. So I "baked" up a batch of my sparkliest gemmy cupcake paintings just for you. Creamy acrylic paint "frosting," rainbow glass bead "sprinkles," and utterly gorgeous gemstone-encrusted backgrounds. Eat your hearts out, ladies... Read more for the recipe.
Here's how to make your own:
1. Get some mini canvases (I bought mine from Dick Blick)
2. Get out your paint brushes
3. Grab some acrylic craft paint, and paint a delish cupcake! For the background, choose a color that somewhat matches the gemstones you'd like to use.
4. Wait for your cupcake to dry, then cover just the cupcake (not the background) with a nice thick coat of brush-on gloss glaze (I used Triple Thick). This protects your work, in addition to giving it a shiny sheen and some fun texture.
5. Apply clear glue to the background of your painting. I use Aleene's Clear Gel Tacky Glue.
6. Stick acrylic or glass gemstones into the glue. The cheapest places I've found gemstones is Joann and Hobby Lobby (bring a 40% off coupon, and purchase the massive 1 lb bag sold at these stores).
7. Glue glass beads, sequins, glitter, etc. to the cupcake frosting for a fun finish