A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 298,764
Currently Running With Scissors:
483 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Little love nest  (Read 2873 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

javaannie

Love is in the details.

View Profile WWW
« on: July 09, 2011 10:17:58 AM »

Ok, this is my first submission, so I'm not sure what kind of info to give. I've always had a fondness for 3-D collage pieces so I decided to try one of my own. I wanted the piece to have an intimate feel, as if you had just stumbled upon this little world. Please excuse the cell-phone photography.

Exterior - I started with a small, unfinished wooden box. It originally had a cutout with a mesh insert. I removed the mesh for later use and painted the box with copper-colored paint and then mixed up some blue-green to create a verdigris patina effect. The top and bottom mantel pieces are actually a paint-stir stick cut in half. The home sweet home text is in a label plate painted gold.

Interior - the back wall is layered with some collage paper and a gold leaf-rubbed heart ornament. I then took the mesh insert, distressed it, and attached the word beads you & me, I aged the beads with some brown ink. The birds are layered scrapbook embellishments.

The nest This part was very experimental, trial & error and really messy. I made a paste using reindeer moss, bits of raffia and Elmers glue. I molded the paste into the bottom of a condiment bowl, using the back of a spoon. It was taking forever to dry (a few days, actually) so, once it could hold its form, I carefully popped it out so that the air could get to the bottom of it.

The egg I started with a raw egg, on which I drew the shape and size that I wanted removed, then scored it with a very sharp Exacto knife. The scored area comes out with a little coaxing, then I washed out the shell, made the hubby some scrambled eggs and painted the outside of the shell robins egg blue. I painted the inside and the edges gold. I cut the text paper to fit inside (used a piece of cork behind it to give dimension). Added some more moss, and nestled the jewelry charm inside (it started with a silver frame that I painted gold). 

Sorry to be so long-winded, and thanks for letting me share!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Javaannie
www.facebook.com/kateandeugene
www.kateandeugene.etsy.com
With enough caffeine, I could rule the world.
Im Sew Silly
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

If you're crafty and ya know it, clap your hands....

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011 11:14:55 AM »

that is really neat looking ! Smiley What type of egg did you use? it looks larger than a chicken's egg?
I love that you made scrambled eggs with it hehe. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Exodus 35:35 (NIV)~ He has filled them with skill to do all kinds of work as engravers, designers, embroiderers in blue, purple, and scarlet yarn and fine linen, and weavers - all of them skilled workers and designers

Current Swaps:
Poppet vs Amigurumi
javaannie

Love is in the details.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011 05:16:56 PM »

Thanks! It's actually a chicken egg. The entire piece only stands about 5 1/2" tall. I have a fascination with detailed, miniature things, which is kind of funny since I'm 6' tall!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Javaannie
www.facebook.com/kateandeugene
www.kateandeugene.etsy.com
With enough caffeine, I could rule the world.
hgddm

What a piece of work is man!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011 09:12:22 PM »

love this--what fabulous detail. the egg and the faux patina are my favorite parts!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A_Bit_Crafty

It's not a mistake. It's...um...a design feature.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011 07:55:50 AM »

Absolutely precious. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Vertical Vs. Horizontal Photography
Selecting Image Quality on Your Digital Camera
Digital SLR Photography Tips
iPhone Photography Tips
Understanding White Balance
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...