A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,709
Currently Running With Scissors:
597 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What do I actually need to start Quilting?  (Read 844 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

FromHopeWithLove
If I throw a stick, will you go away?

View Profile
« on: July 09, 2011 08:21:54 AM »

Do I actually need a walking foot? My sewing machine sucks so I'm contemplating getting a new one.. Maybe as a birthday gift?

Also, does anyone use a Go Baby Fabric cutter from Accuquilt?

I have all my fabric...
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011 08:37:21 AM by FromHopeWithLove » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Not the brightest crayon in the box, now are we?
FabricFun
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Used to be FunThreads

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011 01:14:09 PM »

To do the patchwork all you really need is pins, scissors to cut the pattern/fabric and a sewing machine and an iron for pressing seams.

You can always upgrade to a rotary cutter and mat. That would allow you to do faster more accurate cutting if you have lots of squares to make.

I only use my walking foot for the machine quilting not the piecing. It prevents the batting from being pushed and the fabrics from shifting. Most walking feet are generic and will fit on various machines. I use mine on 3 different brand machines with no problem.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kiera-oona
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011 08:41:51 AM »

Do I actually need a walking foot? My sewing machine sucks so I'm contemplating getting a new one.. Maybe as a birthday gift?

Also, does anyone use a Go Baby Fabric cutter from Accuquilt?

I have all my fabric...

I don't like a hopping or walking foot.  I 'broke' mine to prevent it from hopping.  I also got my rotery cutter from a kit from Walmart (i think) which is the Fiskars brand.  I havent had any problems with it and Ive been using it for about 2 years.

When it gets right down to making a quilt, you really dont even need a sewing machine.  You can always do some hand sewing quilts like a hexagon or 9 patch depending on what you are doing.  For some quilts, all you need is fabric, scissors, some paper, and thread.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vintagegirl90
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011 02:30:40 AM »

I don't have a walking foot and i've finished several quilts on my machine. when it comes to quilting throughout the pieces I just don't lower the presser foot and pull the quilt through as i go. It takes patience and a bit of practice since the presser foot guides the fabric through better, but it works just fine.
Welcome to the wonderful addictive world of quilting! Can't wait to see what you come up with!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011 01:41:22 AM »

I had a rotary cutter, but am such a klutz that I cut myself one too many times on it, got one really stupidly deep cut, freaked out, gave it up and now stick to the hard way of marking out with tailor's chalk and cutting with scissosrs.

I own a walking foot but have no cue how to use the thing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anaximander
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011 04:56:45 AM »

Using a walking foot is easy. What you want to do is hook the extra "arm" over the side piece on the needle bar (where the screw is to tighten the needle into place) and then attach the foot as you would any other. It just serves the purpose of moving the top layer along at an even rate to the bottom one.

For those who are antsy about using a rotary cutter, or are particularly klutzy with them (I'm not with those, but ask me how many times I've managed to burn my hands in the kitchen), there are a number of different "cut gloves" that are sold by different companies. Or, failing that, head to a restaurant supply store and ask them for a cutting glove. It's made of fibreglass, and will keep you from cutting yourself unless you actually try to, really, really hard.

As far as the GoBaby is concerned, check out quilting blogs, or even google "accuquilt review". They've been giving them away free to bloggers in order to review them. My opinion is that they're probably excellent for applique or EPP, but I'd have so much trouble making strips or squares straight on the grain, that it's probably not for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Big, Sexy Curls
How to Trim Your Own Hair
How to Fight Frizz with a Voluminous Bun
Shocking Things Your Hair Says About You
Lauren Conrad Inspired Front French Braid Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...