A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,683
Currently Running With Scissors:
474 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Maka Black Blood Dress. Help, please!  (Read 759 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

11denson
Basically, I have two speeds. Hostile or smart-alek. Your choice.

View Profile WWW
« on: July 09, 2011 08:09:15 AM »

I reeaally want to make Maka's dress from the black blood room. I have a basic concept of how I'll make it except for the hem of the dress. Here are some reference pictures:
http://gallery.minitokyo.net/view/385459
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1959673/

I just can't figure out how they made that hem in the second picture. Please don't hesitate to throw out any advice. Thanks!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Quitting something...And doing something...Both have the same meaning. They are accomplishments. The two necessary items are sincerity and action."
Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011 03:27:45 PM »

I'm not sure I'd try to do it the same way as in that costume pic.  I'm wondering if a different direction might be to make a skirt with an abrupt flare with  several godets and hold it out with a stiff crinoline with lots of tulle at the bottom.

Like this pic but more carefully done and with a lot more "poof":  http://myelix.deviantart.com/gallery/26310782#/d2x10lq
THIS ROCKS   Logged

N30Nb100d
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011 07:59:52 AM »

I think you could get a look similar to the second picture by folding the hem up and sewing it down by hand. If you hung up the dress and picked up the hem bit by bit (following the picture, some folds to the outside some to the inside etc.), sewing down each point to the fabric under it, you should get a similar look (like a "pickup skirt" but only at the hem) There might be some tulle or something inside the poofs to get them to stand out more, and/or a lining with tulle/petticoat under.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011 09:08:27 AM »

I think you could get a look similar to the second picture by folding the hem up and sewing it down by hand. If you hung up the dress and picked up the hem bit by bit (following the picture, some folds to the outside some to the inside etc.), sewing down each point to the fabric under it, you should get a similar look (like a "pickup skirt" but only at the hem) There might be some tulle or something inside the poofs to get them to stand out more, and/or a lining with tulle/petticoat under.

That's what I was thinking of initially but couldn't figure out how to describe it!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

11denson
Basically, I have two speeds. Hostile or smart-alek. Your choice.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011 07:49:49 AM »

Thanks for advice!
What I've gathered from others who have tried making this dress, the material is simply too heavy for the tulle. It almost seems like there is a ring inside the hem at the bottom and the hem is kind of "gathered" around it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Quitting something...And doing something...Both have the same meaning. They are accomplishments. The two necessary items are sincerity and action."
Kara B
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011 02:25:21 PM »

In the second picture it definitely looks like she has a metal ring under the skirt.  I think I would also go for a metal ring, but make it smaller, and then go mad with tulle or some other stiff fabric attached to the ring.  You can also stiffen up bits of the dressfabric with bit of heavy vilene at different intervals to get more of that angular feeling from the first picture.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
embercostumer
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011 11:36:08 PM »

What material are you using? I think a cool changeable black/gray taffeta would be gorgeous on this dress. As for the metal ring, instead of sewing it into the complicated hem of the skirt, You could just make a separate hoopskirt to wear under the dress. And I agree with the others that you should do little pick-ups all over the hem and then stuff it with tulle. Maybe experiment around with a mock-up skirt first and see what works.

Good Luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my website: www.embercostumes.c om
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Cooking for the James Beard House
Super Bowl Dip Recipe: Chili Con Carne
How to Make Chicken Wings in Cola
How to Make a Steak and Eggs Breakfast
Almond Yogurt Waffles and Strawberry Milkshake Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...