These guys were made for a swap. My partner had a teacup stuffie much like this
on her wist, and mentioned needing a pincushion, so I made the teacup as a pincushion. Then I got the idea to make a sewing organizer (like one I had made for a partner in a previous swap, from her
wist) in the shape of a teapot to go with it. Let's just say this was one of those projects that ballooned! lol It took a lot longer than I anticipated. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, though.
For the teacup, I used a lampshade pattern, and eyeballed the circles for the top and the bottom. The handle I did basically the same way - I drew the handle, then cut that out wider, sewed, and turned. (It was really hard to turn, though.) There's a rock in the bottom of the stuffing so he won't be top-heavy and flip over.
The teapot was a bit more difficult and, to be honest, it was sort of hacked together as I went, for the most part.
I started with this teapot pattern
, but I edited it a lot. I resized it, and otherwise used the spout pattern as-is. But I hacked up the pot pattern to be shorter and squatter, and so I only had four pieces rather than six. The handle piece I just eyeballed and hand-drew. The lid was created after much deliberation and brain-fuming and, finally, asking my hubby to do the math for me. lol
Sooo...I essentially made the inside, made the outside, sewed them together, then attached the handle, spout, and lid. That's the short version.
It closes by means of the "lid." The lid is sewn to the top of one side, and it has a slit in the middle. Each of the other three sides has a sort of "strap" at the top. (This is the one part that really
didn't come out the way I'd hoped. These straps are too long.) The one opposite the lid has a loop that's big enough for carrying with a finger or two, and makes a sort of "knob" for the top of the teapot lid. The other two straps snap to this strap just below the loop. You snap all three together and insert the loop through the lid and, voila, closed teapot.
There is heavy-duty interfacing in the bottom, and regular interfacing in the sides. In hindsight, it might have closed up better with zippers in the sides. (That seems like a pain to sew, though.)
If anyone has any questions, I'm glad to answer as best I can. Otherwise, I'm just going to post pictures of the innards and explain what all the parts are in case you can't tell just from photos.
The center has a place for a ball of thread, with a buttonhole in the center to feed the yarn through. (I just cut out a circle bigger than the base, and put elastic across one "end" 'til it was the right width. gathered it and then pinned it to the base and treated them as one piece. Be sure to put the buttonhole in before
attaching it if you do this.)
These straps are sewn down at one end and attached at the other end with straps. I figured this way they could hold stitch markers or whatever. This side is also one of three that has an extra pocket. (You can see it near the base.) I just folded my fabric in half, then cut it out with most of the main pattern piece.)
This is a thread catcher. It's a 3-dimensional bag that's attached with a piece of velcro. That allows it to be removed and emptied, and/or to hang either direction. The catcher itself is made like a tote - sew the bag and the lining, box the corners, then sew together at the top and turn right-side-out - and then the velcro is sewn on.
I think I knotted these thingies too much to shorten them, and the recipient might have to fiddle with them to make them work. These are (unused!) hair elastics hooked around shank-style buttons. They are to hold spools of thread. The other thing is just another small pocket. And this side also has one of those "back" pockets.
Needle book and scissors case. The loop is sewn down at one end, with a snap at the other to hold the scissors into their little case. When the organizer is in use, the loop can snap the other direction to hold them "dangling." (Most of these items are not my idea; they came from the original sewing organizer, whose link I cannot seem to find.)
And here it is laid out across the arm of the sofa: