A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,158
Currently Running With Scissors:
570 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I'm a Little Teapot  (Read 6795 times)
Tags for this thread: teapot , pincushion , tea_set , sewing_caddy , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

A2JC4life
« on: July 08, 2011 07:40:39 AM »

These guys were made for a swap.  My partner had a teacup stuffie much like this on her wist, and mentioned needing a pincushion, so I made the teacup as a pincushion.  Then I got the idea to make a sewing organizer (like one I had made for a partner in a previous swap, from her wist) in the shape of a teapot to go with it.  Let's just say this was one of those projects that ballooned! lol  It took a lot longer than I anticipated.  I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, though.

For the teacup, I used a lampshade pattern, and eyeballed the circles for the top and the bottom.  The handle I did basically the same way - I drew the handle, then cut that out wider, sewed, and turned.  (It was really hard to turn, though.)  There's a rock in the bottom of the stuffing so he won't be top-heavy and flip over.

The teapot was a bit more difficult and, to be honest, it was sort of hacked together as I went, for the most part. Wink  I started with this teapot pattern, but I edited it a lot.  I resized it, and otherwise used the spout pattern as-is.  But I hacked up the pot pattern to be shorter and squatter, and so I only had four pieces rather than six.  The handle piece I just eyeballed and hand-drew.  The lid was created after much deliberation and brain-fuming and, finally, asking my hubby to do the math for me. lol

Sooo...I essentially made the inside, made the outside, sewed them together, then attached the handle, spout, and lid.  That's the short version.

It closes by means of the "lid." The lid is sewn to the top of one side, and it has a slit in the middle.  Each of the other three sides has a sort of "strap" at the top.  (This is the one part that really didn't come out the way I'd hoped.  These straps are too long.)  The one opposite the lid has a loop that's big enough for carrying with a finger or two, and makes a sort of "knob" for the top of the teapot lid.  The other two straps snap to this strap just below the loop.  You snap all three together and insert the loop through the lid and, voila, closed teapot.

There is heavy-duty interfacing in the bottom, and regular interfacing in the sides.  In hindsight, it might have closed up better with zippers in the sides.  (That seems like a pain to sew, though.)

If anyone has any questions, I'm glad to answer as best I can.  Otherwise, I'm just going to post pictures of the innards and explain what all the parts are in case you can't tell just from photos.

The center has a place for a ball of thread, with a buttonhole in the center to feed the yarn through.  (I just cut out a circle bigger than the base, and put elastic across one "end" 'til it was the right width.  gathered it and then pinned it to the base and treated them as one piece.  Be sure to put the buttonhole in before attaching it if you do this.)

These straps are sewn down at one end and attached at the other end with straps.  I figured this way they could hold stitch markers or whatever.  This side is also one of three that has an extra pocket.  (You can see it near the base.)  I just folded my fabric in half, then cut it out with most of the main pattern piece.)

This is a thread catcher.  It's a 3-dimensional bag that's attached with a piece of velcro.  That allows it to be removed and emptied, and/or to hang either direction.  The catcher itself is made like a tote - sew the bag and the lining, box the corners, then sew together at the top and turn right-side-out - and then the velcro is sewn on.

I think I knotted these thingies too much to shorten them, and the recipient might have to fiddle with them to make them work.  These are (unused!) hair elastics hooked around shank-style buttons.  They are to hold spools of thread.  The other thing is just another small pocket.  And this side also has one of those "back" pockets.

Needle book and scissors case.  The loop is sewn down at one end, with a snap at the other to hold the scissors into their little case.  When the organizer is in use, the loop can snap the other direction to hold them "dangling."  (Most of these items are not my idea; they came from the original sewing organizer, whose link I cannot seem to find.)

And here it is laid out across the arm of the sofa:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Whistley
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Adventure is out there!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011 07:55:14 AM »

I love this! So cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Let me 'splain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up.
Cwafting. Cwafting is wot bwings us togevvah today.
SevsOnlyGirl

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011 08:00:33 AM »

Just adorable!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
silentblair

Intellect and Romance over Brute Force and Cynicism

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011 08:09:22 AM »

YOU JUST BLEW MY MIND!
 I love this and I think it would be perfect for a crafter of all ages.
 (I could see my daughter and I fighting over this for years!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LupitaS
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011 08:14:05 AM »

Awesome idea!!! And it so cute Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lupita Cheesy
Pupper

If buttons ever become currency, I will be rich

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011 08:22:35 AM »

Wow! Really cute and useful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/BarkingBandits

My Wist: http://www.wists.com/Pupper

My Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/pupper/

I love swapping craft supplies!
LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011 09:55:05 AM »

Super cool idea and great execution! I'd love to have these little guys sitting with me on my sewing table Smiley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!
I'm giving away doggy bow ties on my my blog! Check it out here!
Onyxnox

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011 10:44:10 AM »

LoooooooOOOOOOOOooooooove it!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011 11:19:16 AM »

Super cute (and very functional).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
southern flower
Better the Devil that you know...

I'm not arrogant, I'm just right

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011 01:22:12 PM »

Grin Grin Grin As the proud receipient of this teapot and pincusion set!!! Grin Grin Grin
I can tell you the pictures just don't do it justice - Everyone I show it to just loves it to bits... but it's mine all mine muh ah ah ah ah! Thanks again A2JC4life!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Discover Artist Zilon and His Art
Linda Chiumera - Artist Profile
Discover Artist Zilon and His Art
Discover Montreal Graffiti Artist Zilon
Contemporary Artist Lindsay Chambers on Her Paintings
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Pallet Shelf
Tute Tuesday: Creating a Travel Journal
Eggs? Eggzactly!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...